Any experience with AWATT carbine? (Houston area)

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
tonzofphun
Posts in topic: 2

Any experience with AWATT carbine? (Houston area)

Post by tonzofphun »

I am always on the look out for some training. I came across this company while searching the inter webs but I couldn't find any more information than what I quote below. They appear to be fairly new as the website was created a couple of months ago. I find it difficult to justify the $500 price tag without any prior information or reviews.

They mention Green Berets and claim a few Top Shot experts but use no names. I am being critical by thinking, "that is great and all... that they have people who know how to shoot but I have no idea if they know how to teach". It could be the best class ever but I don't want to drop $500 to find out if I'm right or wrong.

I suppose I could always email them and ask...

http://www.awattclass.com
CIVILIAN CARBINE I

Class instructed by the best teachers in the industry, active U.S. Army Green Berets.

The Class will be on JULY 21st 2013 starting at 7:30 am.

This is a 1 day, 10 hour class including 1 hour of classroom, 8 hours of shooting, and 1 hour for lunch.

Cost is $500.00 per student - CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

TNacp99
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Any experience with AWATT carbine? (Houston area)

Post by TNacp99 »

I was intrigued by this post and emailed the company for more information. My initial queries were:

Dear AWATT,
I am writing to find out more information about your upcoming class on July 21.
1-What information will you be covering in the classroom?
2-What skills and exercises will you be teaching on the range?
3-What is the ratio of teacher to students and what is the maximum number of students for the July 21 class?
4-How many rounds of ammunition do we need to bring?
5-Where will the range be?
6-Will we be shooting at steel targets?
7-Are there any reviews of your previous classes? I could not find one on line.

Thank you in advance for your reply. I am very interested in registering but will need more information.

The initial reply from them was to forward my inquiries to their head trainer. I wrote my email to them on July 18 and have not heard anything since. Obviously the class has since passed and they get an F for customer service. If I receive any more information then I will post it here.

TNacp99

Post by TNacp99 »

I received a reply from AWATT today. Apparently, their email to me was sent earlier but I did not receive it (Electron scramble?).

This is their reply on July 23, 2013:

Student ratio we like to keep a 1 to 5
Course will cover
Trouble shooting/clearing stoppage
Fundamentals of marksmanship
Shot placement
Multi target/ multi shot engagement
Transition
Multi position
400rds rifle and 200rds pistol
Location- Impact Zone, Hempstead
Paper and steel
Instructors have taught numerous domestic and foreign military and LEAs as well as being USSF WPNS committee instructors

Feel free to contact me with any questions directly

I have never been to Hempstead but it is approximately NW of Houston. The course sounds interesting and is another relatively local option for those of us in Houston. I wish there were reviews out there on those that have taken the course.

Topic author
tonzofphun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tonzofphun »

I think it is safe to say that I emailed them before you asking the same general questions. I received the same message saying that my concerns would be forwarded to the instructor/s but I never received a reply. Also, it doesn't look like the instructor replied to you anyways since the writer did not use describe himself in first person. I could be wrong...

I would have to agree with the customer service grading and $500 makes me think "mucho take it easy on my wallet".

TNacp99

Post by TNacp99 »

Last year, there was a brief discussion of firearm courses offered by AWATT (Advanced Weapons Tactics and Training), a local company in Houston (http://www.awattclass.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). At that time, no one on the forum had any training experience with AWATT.

My initial contact with AWATT was disappointing as my emails were not answered promptly or fully.

However, I took a leap of faith and organized a carbine class with four of my friends on Jan 19, 2014. The cost was $450 per student. This is my review of AWATT and its Carbine Level 1 class.

Pre-planning: My emails were promptly answered (unlike my earlier attempts) and logistical issues were easily arranged. I arranged a private class with four other friends and they were flexible on dates. You will not obtain much information from their website. No testimonials, no details on course outline, no videos, no requirements, etc. When I asked why, the AWATT director said that they train a lot of federal/military/LEO folks who do not want their photos and names public. The tactics and training are also similarly not publicized.

Their load out requirements are standard and include: Rifle, sling, 4 rifle mags, 600 rifle rounds, pistol and holster, 200 pistol rounds, chest rack or carrier, Iron sights or red dot, gun lube, Eye and ear pro.
Distance was 25 yards or less and the training range was in Hempstead, TX (Impact Zone).

Instructors: AWATT sent me by request a de-classified resume of their instructor, who is an active duty Green Beret. The experience of this gentleman is impressive with actions in Central & South America and Iraq. He has been awarded the Bronze Star with Valor. There was an assistant instructor who is a former USMC with deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Training Day:
Report time was 8 AM sharp and we trained until 4:30 with a one hour lunch break. The range was designed more like CQB, with targets 25 yds or less. There were dirt berms as usual, barricades, barrels, simulated rooftops and walls . There were four of us and one other student that joined our class. We had two instructors: one main person (Army SF) and one assistant (USMC). After the usual safety and range rules, we jumped in. The SF instructor would verbally instruct, and the USMC instructor would demonstrate with his pistol or carbine. Paper targets were used for all exercises and ranged from rows of black circles of different sizes and blue man CHL type targets.

Part1- pistol training. We practiced drawing from the holster and firing single and multiple shots. What was different from my previous pistol classes was an emphasis on obtaining a sight picture right next to and in front of my face even before extending out my arms. This took a lot of getting used to. This technique was helpful (per SF instructor) if you had chest rigs/gear as it reduced the risk of snagging on your equipment. Another potential benefit was that you had your sight picture early and could fire at any time from face to arm extension. Despite the potential advantages, I had great difficulty with the sights so close to my face and will need a lot more practice. However, it was good to try another method.
Part2- once we were all comfortable, then we practiced transitioning from rifle to pistol. We would fire 2 rounds with our ARs, simulate either malfunction or dry gun, and switch to our pistol. All the exercises were repeated multiple times.
Part3- We concentrated on the carbine for the rest of the day. We practiced controlled single fire from low ready, then controlled double taps all at 2-3 different distances (but all within 20 yds). There was no practice on clearing carbine malfunctions. The philosophy was; if your rifle malfunctions, go straight to your secondary weapon.
Part4- we then practiced shooting while moving-forward and sideways at multiple targets.
Part5- the final exercise was a culmination of all of the above. This was a running and obstacle exercise. You started on the simulated rooftop, then went to a wall, then ran towards a barrel and another wall, then ran to another barrel and a tube, then another barrel and a wall. At each station, you shot multiple rounds at 4 different targets and did so from kneeling, standing, prone, sideways, etc. You shot left handed for some stations and right handed for others. Since there were five of us, we saw how the others performed. It was a tremendous workout and you learned how flexible you are (or not).

There were many learning points. You learned how well your equipment worked in dynamic movement. For example, my Vortex 1-6x24 scope was fine until the maneuvers had me around corners and under barrels that simulated shooting under a car. Switching to an Aimpoint T1 was more ergonomic with the obstacles. It would have been better if I had an offset red dot from the top rail in addition to my main scope. One of the students had this offset setup and rocked the course. Some of my friends had equipment malfunctions and fortunately had backup rifles. A pistol fell out of one student’s holster and he did not know it until he had to reach for his secondary weapon. One person had an inside the waistband holster, which did not work well. Chest rigs did not work as well as battle belts, especially reloading under the barrel. We ran the obstacle course twice for each person and used three 30 round mags each cycle. I felt safe during the course.

Conclusion: I am not an expert and this was only my second carbine course. I would recommend this class and especially our instructor to anyone interested in learning how to use their carbine effectively. Each exercise was repeated several times and the instructor tried to give everyone personal feedback as well as general instruction. Having the second instructor was also helpful because you had a different perspective and another pair of eyes to keep everyone safe. Both instructors were very personable and approachable. I was exhausted by 4:30. It was an awesome experience. Suggestions for improvement; 1) have steel targets for some exercises, especially for the obstacle course phase. There were so many holes in the paper targets that you did not know if you actually hit anything. Safety is always a concern with steel plates and perhaps we were too close. 2) Alternatively, the paper targets should be changed out more frequently so that we may have better visual feedback. 3) It was nice to have the assistant instructor demonstrate what the main instructor was verbalizing. However, I would have preferred to see the main instructor also demonstrate the mechanics of some of the techniques. 4) I would like to have had more reloading exercises on the run and in different positions while firing. 5) One of the barrels that simulated firing under a car kept rolling forward. That should be stabilized or anchored down. The above suggestions would make an already terrific course spectacular. Finally, we all had more appreciation for the dedication and training of our professional military. Was the $450 per person cost worth it? Absolutely. I am planning for their Carbine level 2 class.

cajunautoxer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cajunautoxer »

This is just my opinion but I ain't shelling out $500 and not know who's the instructor

Return to “General”