Instructor certification for Basic Pistol, Home Defense?

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
MotherBear
Posts in topic: 1

Instructor certification for Basic Pistol, Home Defense?

Post by MotherBear »

Thought I'd get feedback on something I've been tossing around in my head for a while. I'm not a very advanced shooter by any stretch of the imagination, and I've got a long list of training classes I intend to take as time and money allow. But I do feel I'm solid on the basics. I've been thinking that at some point I'd be interested in maybe teaching something like the NRA Basic Pistol class. It's material I know well, and I'd enjoy passing the knowledge on to others. And it might be a nice way to help bulk up the training fund a little. I found out tonight that sometime in the next couple of months there will be an instructor class at my range, for NRA Basic Pistol and Home Defense. It would allow me to work as a line coach with my pistol league, and teach either of those two classes.

Any thoughts on whether or not it would be a good idea? I know I'd need to get insurance specifically as an instructor before I started teaching anything, but what else should I know that I probably haven't thought about? Is it worth it if I would most likely not be teaching very regularly? Should I wait until I've got more training under my belt before trying to teach others? I'd welcome feedback on the matter.

Return to “General”