Class Review: First Aid for Firearms

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ghentry
Posts in topic: 1

Class Review: First Aid for Firearms

Post by ghentry »

Disclaimer: I have no personal or financial interest in PerSys Medical Training Centers. I write this review only for the benefit of those that would benefit from this training as I have.

I recently began looking for a combat trauma class in Houston. My interest was to learn how to prevent hemorrhaging in the event of a shooting or stabbing. Should a shooting happen at work, church or the gun range, I would hate to watch as someone bled out before the ambulance arrived, especially if it was a loved one.

Unfortunately most of the classes I found were out of town or were very expensive. I finally found the PerSys Medical Training Center located in Southwest Houston. They offer a 4 hour class named "First Aid for Firearms" (http://persysmedicaltraining.com/servic ... -firearms/) that is targeted to civilians and is only $65.

My wife and I took the class this week and it was well worth the money. The class was taught by Van Postell, EMT-P and Lead Instructor of Tactical Medicine at PerSys Medical. He was an excellent instructor. Very friendly, easy to understand and overall just a great teacher.

Some of the most important things we learned were how to treat massive bleeding by applying tourniquets, pressure bandages and combat gauze, and treat a sucking chest wound by applying a chest seal.

Various types of items that you would want in your trauma bag were discussed and demonstrated. They do sell all of the items you would need, but there is no hard-sell or pressure to buy from them. Today I looked at the pricing at their website compared to others, and their pricing is just as good as most anyone else I found.

I've had my CHL for over 13 years but never considered taking a class such as this. I would strongly suggest this class for anyone that is involved in firearms, whether they are CHL holders, gun enthusiasts or hunters. For a small amount of money and time you can learn to treat one of the most preventable leading causes of death related to gunshot wounds.

Ghentry

bmcferren

Re: Class Review: First Aid for Firearms

Post by bmcferren »

I also took this class from PerSys Medical over a year ago. I'm an Instructor and spend many hours on the range or in the company of less experienced individuals with handguns. I wanted to find a class that covered these conditions and not just a first-aid or CPR class and I found it at PerSys. I agree that this is very good class and just what I needed. I applaud you and your wife in being responsible gun owners and taking this class.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I took the 8 hour tactical first aid version of this class and can also attest to the value and the quality of instruction.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I took the Tactical First Aid course because I also didn't want to stand and watch as someone bled out at the range. Later I realized that seeing someone having a heart attack was more likely than someone shooting themself at the range, so I went back for the CPR/AED course. Both were excellent. Highly recommend any class from them.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

dryfly

Post by dryfly »

I'm a paramedic myself...you guys are smart for getting some basic training like this..

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I have taken several "Tactial First Aid" classes. PerSys was one I was thrilled to be a part of. The most recent was one put together by our County's EMS trainer. They worked with our 4-H Shooting Sports group and did a first aid for Shooting Sports class for adults and youth. We had 15 go through and it was great! I +1 on the PerSys group, great instructor, great content.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

dryfly wrote:I'm a paramedic myself...you guys are smart for getting some basic training like this..
As a former paramedic and now a CHL Instructor, I agree!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “General”