AAR Civilian Response to Active Shooter course at CSAT

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
cconn
Posts in topic: 3

AAR Civilian Response to Active Shooter course at CSAT

Post by cconn »

First a little background about me. I am 38 years old, and have been carrying a concealed handgun since I was 21 and able to get the license.

Over the last few years I have attended three other courses at CSAT taught by Paul Howe. Tactical Pistol Operator, and Tactical Rifle Operator (twice). This January I signed up for a new class called Civilian Response to Active Shooter (CRAS). This was a 3 day course taught at the CSAT facilities in Nacogdoches. The main instructor was Paul, with Bill assisting. While I do not know Bills entire history, I believe he is currently the Nacogdoches SWAT team leader. Most of you should be familiar with Paul Howe, if not look up the name.

I am not a great reviewer, but this was definitely an excellent class to take. I can not recommend strongly enough for anyone who regularly carries a handgun to take either this course, or another one like it. During the 3 days we went over and discussed many issues that really opened my eyes to things I had not given enough thought too. Paul lays out what he carries with him every day and why in the contents of his Active Shooter bag. We went over first aid, how to communicate with a 911 dispatcher and what not to say.

Another extremely valuable part of the course was having access to several current LEO's that currently work full time in Nacogdoches. We were able to get the LEO perspective and ask a lot of questions from 2 different active duty LEO's.

During the shooting part, after checking everyone's zero and skill level, we started by learning how to shoot from a barricade in different positions.Then moved to the shoot houses and went over clearing rooms, hallways, open doors, closed doors, target discrimination, etc. Different scenarios were played out, with first aid applied either to victims, or self administered. Link up with LE was one of the most discussed topics, and the one I had not given enough thought to. The class really brought home to me that the likeliest way to get shot is by either a responding LEO, or other CHL holder, not the bad guy.

The course does not require any specific physical fitness level. One of the other students was in his late 50', with bad knees which prevented him from shooting while kneeling. The instructors will work with anyone to find a way that works for them. After taking 4 different courses at CSAT, one of the things I like most about Paul is that he does not insist on the student doing things only one way. He teaches what works for him, but acknowledges that it will not the best for everyone else.

During the 3 days, we probably fired about 140 rounds. this is not a course designed to teach shooting skills, but is a more advanced course that assumes you already know the basics.

The most memorable moment came at the end of one shoot house. The scenario had the student at the end of a hallway, with one arm wounded and out of commission. There was a Larue resetting target about 60 yards away. The students were applying tourniquets to their wounded arms while keeping the Larue down.One of the students, forget his name, ran his 1911 dry. He then proceeded to draw a backup revolver from an ankle holster and engaged the target. We THAT revolver ran dry, he drew ANOTHER revolver from his other ankle and continued the fight. And I though I was paranoid!

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AAR Civilian Response to Active Shooter course at CSAT

Post by suthdj »

Sound like an ad for a service.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
cconn

Post by cconn »

suthdj wrote:Sound like an ad for a service.
It is a review of a course I took, posted in a classes and training forum.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

it looks that way maybe because it was your first post? maybe should've just posted an introduction? if the OP continues posting on other topics and contributes then it won't look so much as an advetisement.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Topic author
cconn

Post by cconn »

No problem. First time I felt I had something worthwhile to add to the forum. I generally am a lurker on most forums I visit. On Texas Gun Talk I believe I have about 300 posts in almost 5 years, and that is the forum I spend 90% of my time on.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Don't let some of these guys bother you. Their mothers had to hang pork chops around their necks so they could get dates.

Welcome to the forum.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

I missed the course last year, but he has another coming up in August. I intend to be there. I have yet to take a course from Howe, but he is one of the few I would train under.

I appreciate the AAR. :cheers2:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Return to “General”