What's Next??

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

What's Next??

Post by OneGun »

I have a question regarding training and preparedness. I took the NRA basic pistol safety class. I took the CHL class with my son and we obtained our CHL permits. I get to the range about 3x/month to practice with both of my handguns. However, I do not think that two classes and regular range time is sufficient training for anyone to be carrying a firearm on a regular basis. Look at what happened to the man in Florida with a CHL who reacted poorly to teenagers in a car with loud music that was convicted of murder. I also observe people around me at the range and notice how a number of them have their CHL, but their gun handling skills make me nervous, like pointing their gun in a direction other than down range when it is loaded, etc.

So, here is my question. I know gun safety, but the area that really is of interest to me has to with situational training. I live in the Houston area and most gun ranges and shops are pushing the CHL classes and the basic safety classes. What's next for me? What do you suggest?

My goal is to be responsible with my firearms.

Onegun*

* I actually have two guns now.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What's Next??

Post by tacticool »

How far are you willing to travel and how much time can you commit?

Thunder Ranch was a great option when it was in Texas. Now that they're in an anti-gun state without reciprocity, I spend my training dollars elsewhere.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Let Google be your guide. I googled "Tactical Firearms Training in Texas" and got a whole lot of hits. One of which was "360tacticaltraining". Just one of many in your area. Good luck.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Thanks for all of the replies. If anyone has any personal experience with any of these outfits, please share your experiences with me.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The NRA Courses Personal Protection in the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home are both very good classes. I see them as a intermediate classes between the CHL/Basic Pistol and the all out Thurder Ranch type classes.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

OneGun wrote:So, here is my question. I know gun safety, but the area that really is of interest to me has to with situational training. I live in the Houston area and most gun ranges and shops are pushing the CHL classes and the basic safety classes. What's next for me? What do you suggest?
You may want to take a look at Aaron Roberts up in Spring.

He's got genuine credentials . . . not some wanna-be dude who hangs out a shingle and calls himself "tactical".

He served in US Spec Ops and then as a Texas State Trooper. Then he spent about five years as the lead firearms and tactics instructor at the well-known Blackwater Training Center, before moving on to television, where he co-hosted Tactical Impact and later hosted Handguns on the Sportsman Channel. He also owns a custom rifle manufacturing and gunsmithing firm (Roberts Precision Rifles).

At one point, he was offering varied handgun and rifle courses. I haven't trained with him for over 3 years, so I am not sure what he is up to these days. Here are a couple of websites where you may be able to find a current phone number or email address.

http://www.tacticalshootingsolutions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://houstonhandguntraining.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rprifles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Jumping Frog wrote:
OneGun wrote:So, here is my question. I know gun safety, but the area that really is of interest to me has to with situational training. I live in the Houston area and most gun ranges and shops are pushing the CHL classes and the basic safety classes. What's next for me? What do you suggest?
You may want to take a look at Aaron Roberts up in Spring.

He's got genuine credentials . . . not some wanna-be dude who hangs out a shingle and calls himself "tactical".

He served in US Spec Ops and then as a Texas State Trooper. Then he spent about five years as the lead firearms and tactics instructor at the well-known Blackwater Training Center, before moving on to television, where he co-hosted Tactical Impact and later hosted Handguns on the Sportsman Channel. He also owns a custom rifle manufacturing and gunsmithing firm (Roberts Precision Rifles).

At one point, he was offering varied handgun and rifle courses. I haven't trained with him for over 3 years, so I am not sure what he is up to these days. Here are a couple of websites where you may be able to find a current phone number or email address.

http://www.tacticalshootingsolutions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://houstonhandguntraining.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rprifles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank You! I'll contact him and inquire into his current offering.

Return to “General”