Houston Pistol Training Recommendations (Course/Instructor)

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
blwarren
Posts in topic: 1

Houston Pistol Training Recommendations (Course/Instructor)

Post by blwarren »

Apart from experience as a teenager shooting rifles and pistols, I'm coming into firearm ownership as a blank slate. As I mentioned in "The Waiting Room" part of the board, I recently took my CHL class and I'm awaiting processing of my CHL. I have gone out to the range a few times with my pistol and feel pretty comfortable shooting it, but I know I really need to get some additional training to better understand my deficiencies and better prepare for carrying my pistol regularly.

That said, I have a few questions:

NRA Training or not? - I'm an NRA member and I see a wide variety of training available in the Houston area. Some of these are NRA courses, such as NRA Basic Pistol Shooting. What is the benefit of taking NRA courses vs. non-NRA courses? What courses would y'all recommend in general for someone wanting to become more proficient at using their pistol for concealed carry and home defense (whether NRA sanctioned or not)?

Instructor Recommendations - What Houston area instructors do y'all recommend for defensive pistol training?

Thanks in advance for any guidance y'all can provide.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Houston Pistol Training Recommendations (Course/Instruct

Post by Jumping Frog »

Spend some time googling and youtubing Aaron Roberts in Spring. http://www.rprifles.com/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is the real deal.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

I tell everyone about the Conroe Shooting Academy. Steve and Donna run a very safe and affordable curriculum of classes for shooting/handling handguns, shotguns, and carbines in a dynamic environment. I am currently participating in the NRA Marksmanship program there and try to attend every defensive firearm class that I can make it to. Truly awesome folks and great training.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The NRA Basic Pistol course is good to get someone up and running, or to help understand different types of pistols, basic functions and controls. It also includes a limited amount of shooting from static position. It sounds like you are not terribly experienced, but not uncomfortable working with your particular gun, so the NRA Basic Pistol course might provide some value to you but not as much perhaps as for someone who is a bit more green.

The benefit of some of the activities at Conroe Shooting Academy, most likely Mr. Roberts courses and surely other offerings in the area are added dimensions -- presentation (drawing from holster and shooting), engaging multiple targets, use of cover and concealment, shooting moving targets, low-light shooting, adding stress by using a timer for certain drills, excercises with specific targets designated as "no-shoot", etc... Without a question such classes/activities/learning opportunities are a good thing to take advantage of -- for all of us.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Following up on Aaron Roberts, look at his website: http://houstonhandguntraining.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Spring Guns and Ammo website says his Thursday night classes are every other week. Give Aaron a call.

2 hour Thursday Night Pistol Class
Spring Guns & Ammo
4401 Spring Cypress Rd
Spring, Texas
6:15 pm - 8:15 pm
$35 + $17 range fee
(non members SGA members)

Roberts Precision Rifles can be reached at 281-651-5593.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General”