Youth Instruction

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
karatedad
Posts in topic: 4

Youth Instruction

Post by karatedad »

My 13 yr old son has asked to start shooting. Can anyone recommend someone who enjoys teaching handgun skills to kids? We would like to start with basic safety and skills and work up from there depending on his interest level. We are in the League City area but will travel into Houston if necessary. Thanks.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Youth Instruction

Post by Middle Age Russ »

4-H offers shooting sports programs in several different disciplines -- rifle, pistol, shotgun, black powder/muzzle loading, archery and hunting & wildlife. Touch base with your county extension office to see if there are 4-H clubs in your area that offer these programs -- shooting sports is one of the only areas where the leaders/coaches must attend specific training, and this is for each of the disciplines. There is an opportunity here not only for your son, but for you as well if you wish to volunteer and become a coach.

4-H Shooting Sports is ALL about marksmanship. There will never be any targets representing a person in any 4-H practice or event. So, if your son's interests lie in the action shooting arena rather than marksmanship per se, you may want to start looking into clubs involved with IDPA/USPSA and the like.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
karatedad

Post by karatedad »

Thank you Russ, for the information. I have no idea where this is headed. I would like to have a hunting buddy again. I lost my Dad several years ago and he filled that position. I also think it might be fun to do some competitive shooting together but I haven't mentioned either of these things to Logan yet. He has fired guns several times, plinking at the river or very informal paper punching and until recently didn't show much of an interest. Now that it is his idea I would like to get him involved. We have gotten spoiled to private instruction for his competition karate training and would like to find someone to work one on one with him for handgun training.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

karatedad wrote:My 13 yr old son has asked to start shooting. Can anyone recommend someone who enjoys teaching handgun skills to kids? We would like to start with basic safety and skills and work up from there depending on his interest level. We are in the League City area but will travel into Houston if necessary. Thanks.
karatedad,

From my own personal experience...the best person to teach that is 'Dad' (or 'Mom', if such is the circumstance). I taught my daughter to shoot a rifle at age 4. Now, at the ripe old age of 7, some of the best times that she and I have together are at the shooting range. This is a great bonding time for both of us.

It's like when I taught her to ride a bike. We have friends who own a bike store. They have a guy they call the 'bike whisperer', who (they say) can get a kid from sitting on his first bike to riding it within an hour. That sounds like a good idea - get it done quickly and professionally. But I really wanted to be the guy who taught her. It took a few weekends, lots of running around behind, holding the seat, and a little flaring up of my old back injury, but it was so worth it when she finally did it on her own. She still remembers that her dad taught her to ride, to shoot, to rock climb, etc...

(The following is meant to be read as constructive and positive, not to disparage your skills.)

Now then again, if you don't feel sufficiently comfortable enough with your own skills at handgun shooting, safety training, etc. that you want to be his primary instructor, then I do respect your choice to bring in someone else to do so for you. Given that you're in League City, I'd recommend going to one of the better ranges in the area (e.g. Arms Room) and ask if they have instructors who teach kids. Kids learn a lot different from adults, so I do recommend finding someone with that experience.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

karatedad wrote:My 13 yr old son has asked to start shooting. Can anyone recommend someone who enjoys teaching handgun skills to kids? We would like to start with basic safety and skills and work up from there depending on his interest level. We are in the League City area but will travel into Houston if necessary. Thanks.
You make a great straight-man!! Register her for the Youth Action Pistol League at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood. I run the program and the kids love it. We're about to kick off the 2016 shooting season so your timing is perfect. Click here for information about the Program, for registration and for required forms.

YAPL is open to kids from 12 through 18 whether or not their parents are Club Members. There are no fees and the Club underwrites all training and match expenses. We have 30 S&W M&P 9mm handguns, 10 S&W M&P .22LR handguns and a like number of Comp-Tac holsters and double mag carries for kids to use until they see if they want to stay in the Program. Comp-Tac generously donated over $4,000 worth of gear to this Program because Greg knows the importance of property training for kids. The only expense to parents is the cost of ammo.

Thanks,
Chas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
You make a great straight-man!! Register her for the Youth Action Pistol League at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood. I run the program and the kids love it. We're about to kick off the 2016 shooting season so your timing is perfect. Click here for information about the Program, for registration and for required forms.

YAPL is open to kids from 12 through 18 whether or not their parents are Club Members. There are no fees and the Club underwrites all training and match expenses. We have 30 S&W M&P 9mm handguns, 10 S&W M&P .22LR handguns and a like number of Comp-Tac holsters and double mag carries for kids to use until they see if they want to stay in the Program. Comp-Tac generously donated over $4,000 worth of gear to this Program because Greg knows the importance of property training for kids. The only expense to parents is the cost of ammo.

Thanks,
Chas.
I second this!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
karatedad

Post by karatedad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks,
Chas.
I assume you are referring to my posting in the wrong forum. :oops: Sorry about that. If a few people laughed at my mistake maybe someone got some relief from being roasted for flashing their CHL card as identification or stopped thinking about signs for a bit.

Thank you for the information on the YAPL. I checked the site and it looks very interesting, if we only had the time. This year Logan will begin karate competition at the national level. We are constantly modifying his schedule to juggle homework, martial arts training, tournament preparation and still allow him to have some semblance of a social life. We do not want to make a commitment that we can't keep and we aren't far enough into the season to know how all this is going to work out. For now, I believe our best option is to find an instructor who is willing to work around our crazy schedule.

Thanks again,
Carl

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

karatedad wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks,
Chas.
I assume you are referring to my posting in the wrong forum. :oops: Sorry about that. If a few people laughed at my mistake maybe someone got some relief from being roasted for flashing their CHL card as identification or stopped thinking about signs for a bit.

Thank you for the information on the YAPL. I checked the site and it looks very interesting, if we only had the time. This year Logan will begin karate competition at the national level. We are constantly modifying his schedule to juggle homework, martial arts training, tournament preparation and still allow him to have some semblance of a social life. We do not want to make a commitment that we can't keep and we aren't far enough into the season to know how all this is going to work out. For now, I believe our best option is to find an instructor who is willing to work around our crazy schedule.

Thanks again,
Carl
Carl, I wasn't referring to the forum. I meant you gave me a great opportunity to promote YAPL.

Chas.

Topic author
karatedad

Post by karatedad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Carl, I wasn't referring to the forum. I meant you gave me a great opportunity to promote YAPL.

Chas.
In that case, I'm happy to be of service. I hope everyone noticed the information you offered in reference to the " YOUTH ACTION PISTOl LEAGUE @ PSC SHOOTING CLUB in Pearland.".

I hope to be a member of PSC some day.

Return to “General”