Poll: Do you think the Texas Legislature supports open-carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Do you believe that a majority of the Texas House and Texas Senate support licenced open-carry?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Yes
11%
No
55%
I don't know
34%

Total votes : 131

Poll: Do you think the Texas Legislature supports open-carry

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm curious what people believe about the Texas Legislature's majority opinion is on open-carry. Please don't tell us how they should feel. The poll is going to run for 10 days.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Do you think the Texas Legislature supports open-c

Postby Oldgringo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm

I would be for OC for reasons previously and oft stated; however, I haven't a clue how our so-called representatives feel.

I wish you'd have posed this question this morning. We said our howdies, in passing, to our state Senator at lunch today and I would have perhaps been prompted to ask him. He is a hunter and a shooter and helped untangle Mrs. Oldgringo's initial CHL. He's a good Republican guy.
Oldgringo

Postby smoothoperator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:29 pm

I voted no. However, based on last session, I don't think they support campus carry either.
smoothoperator

Postby McKnife » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:50 pm

No, I do not get the feeling that our Texas Legislature candidly supports the right to open-carry in Texas, but I voted 'I don't know' because there seems to be some attention given to it every session, albeit little.

It certainly is not "Yes."

I do, however, believe that if enough vocal and logical support is derived from the public in favor of open carry, they would be more willing to consider it.
I have nothing to hide but I never give consent.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - B. Franklin
McKnife

Postby C-dub » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't think they are. I will be shocked if it is ever passed in Texas, but I'm usually skeptical of just about everything and especially that which sounds too good to be true.

If it does pass I wonder if they will allow that in the capital building.
"Immediate necessity makes many things convenient, which if continued would grow into oppressions." Thomas Paine, 1776
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan, January 20, 1981, Inaugural Address
C-dub

Postby Jeff B. » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:19 pm

I don't have any data or statistics, but my impression is that the votes don't exist to pass OC (or campus carry). Additionally, I believe that we have a few more "moderates" than we realize, by that I mean representatives that talk a good game, but come up short when really needed, i.e., allowing the politicals games (committees) and procedures to prevent legislation from coming to a vote.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman
Jeff B.

Postby 57Coastie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 am

I had to answer "I don't know," Chas.

I honestly, and with good cause, think this is a question not given to an easy answer. Other than for insiders like yourself who might have access into the minds of certain legislators, all we citizens have to answer such a question is observing (1) what a legislator says, and (2) what he or she does. The broader question is whether or not those two factors are reliable insofar as our making a decision on the question asked here is concerned?

Time and again, both in Austin and Washington, DC, we have seen legislators voting against a proposition we were convinced they favored, and voting for a proposition we were convinced they opposed. Too many rational, and sometimes irrational, factors go into a legislator's votes, other than their personal likes or dislikes. I would submit that the current situation on Capitol Hill demonstrates this quite well, regardless of one's personal views.

To further complicate the issue a typical state or federal legislator is faced with that long-standing dilemma faced by legislators and elected leaders of all sorts in a republican form of government: Is his or her task to vote as he or she feels is correct, or is it to vote as he or she feels his or her constituents feel is correct?

I suspect the truth is that it is a mix of the two, making predictions very difficult.

Likewise, whether or not any particular legislator, state or federal, truly understands an issue is sometimes lurking in the background.

Jim
We're not going to reason people out of positions they haven't reasoned themselves into, to paraphrase Ben Franklin.
57Coastie
Member deactivated at member's request

Postby RPBrown » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 am

I think that most of the republicans do support it but are shying away from it for political purposes. Just don't think that there are enough that will stand up for it.

I am in support although I would probably never open carry
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
RPBrown

Postby MoJo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:36 am

I answered "I don't know" I started to say "no" but, realizing second guessing our legislature is like betting on a rock to sink. Sure as one thinks they have it all figured out the darn rock floats.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
MoJo

Postby packa45 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:41 pm

I personally believe in open carry and concealed carry... but I am also a believer in constitutional carry (open or concealed), I voted no because there are more sheep in this world than wolves and sheepdogs and our reps tend to be catering to the sheep that don't like the sheepdogs... I will not elaborate further because I'm afraid of the ban stick.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless
packa45

Postby srothstein » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 pm

I voted no, but it is a conditional vote based on the way the question was worded. I do not think a majority currently support open carry, but I also do not think they oppose it. There is a small minotrity that do support it and a small minority that oppose all carry. I am sure there are a few that support some middle ground, such as CHL but not open carry.

But I think the majority are somewhat honest politicians who would vote the way they think their constituency wanted them to. Well, at least the majority party for their constituents. I think we can convince them by working with them and working with the people on an education program.

But I honestly do not think the legislature will pass open carry in either this session or the next. Look how divided this group is on the issue and we are all pro-gun. I think those of us who want to see open or constitutional carry need to come up with a viable plan to educate people and get the grass roots support. I see this as a long term project with a lot of small steps on the way. I am not sure we should introduce the bill or topic of open carry yet for tactical reasons, but keep it in the plan as a long term goal.
Steve Rothstein
srothstein

Postby longtooth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Much as I would like to see it I dont think they want to support it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11
longtooth

Postby RPB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 am

doubt a majority support it
They probably think it "adds more guns to the equation"
(When asking a liberal "what equation? ... what are the *other* terms in this alleged equation? They can't set up any equation, SO ... it's no wonder they can't *do the math*)

A venn diagram of Mass shootin's and gun-free zones should help with their math as a visual aid.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"
RPB
Banned

Postby Jumping Frog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:22 am

They will support it only when (or if) they perceive there are a substantial number of voters and campaign contributors who support it.
-Bob . . . NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, TFC member, JFPO member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots.
Jumping Frog

Postby Dave2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 am

I want to elaborate on my vote. When I say "I don't know", what I mean is "I don't know, I don't know who does know, I don't know how to find out, and I don't know how to find out who does know."

The point is, my position isn't that I don't know if they'd go for it; it's that I barely even know who "they" are in first place.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.
Dave2

Next

Return to Open-Carry Discussions