PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If only one bill could pass, would you prefer it to be campus-carry or open-carry?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 am

Campus-Carry
129
51%
Open-Carry
122
49%
 
Total votes : 251

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby jmra » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 am

RHenriksen wrote:While I understand your point, the economics major in me would like to use a head count of how many of our members have logged into the site more than a handful of times over the past, say, 3 months? That would be a more useful measure to use to compare to the poll participation than the total number of registered users.

:iagree:
That is why I asked if there was a huge difference in the number of members and active members. What you have posted to me is an excellent definition of an active member.

If 200 votes is a significant polling of the active members of this forum, then this forum is not nearly as significant as we all believe it to be. I do not believe that to be the case at all.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member
User avatar
jmra
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8272
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby cyphur » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 pm

jmra wrote:Poll has been open for 20 days and only 201 votes. How many members are on this forum? Is there a huge disparity between number of members and number of active members?
So what is it?

1. Members don't care about Campus Carry
2. Members don't care about Open Carry
3. Members don't care about either
4. Members are pollaphobic

I know in the past lack of poll responses have been used to suggest that there was little interest in Open Carry. If we use that logic in this thread shouldn't we also assume there is little interest in Campus Carry?

Not trying to stir the pot here (I am pro Campus Carry and pro Open Carry as long as it is not tied to our current CHL laws), I'm simply trying to understand the mindset of the members. If the members don't care enough about either of these subjects to at least vote in a poll how do we expect to gain the support in the general public required to get either passed.

Perhaps at this time we should not waste our political influence on either. Maybe it should be shifted to Charles' bill which removes almost all of the prohibited places for CHL. I assume if this passes it would no longer be a crime to carry on campus. Yes, you could face discipline from the school if caught but concealed is concealed right?

It seems to me that I read a number of comments that those who voted for campus carry did so because they wanted to expand the number of places that people could carry. Charles' proposal does that on a much broader scale than campus carry alone.

I would like to see priority placed on Charles' latest proposal. If we have limited political influence in this session, let's apply it where it will make the biggest difference.


I voted, and for Campus Carry. We have 2-3 sessions of effort invested in it, it should be seen through to the end. More folks would gain protection in the near term from Campus Carry than Open carry.

As I said earlier in this thread, I think the bill Chas wrote is a win/win solution, and a huge step forward to a minor adjustment that would be required to pass open carry. Licensed Open Carry is the best bet at this point.

I personally want to see all of it passed, but Chas has made it very obvious over the past few years in his elucidating posts re:inner workings of Texas Legislature, we need to pick our battles wisely. I do not have the time to spend in Austin championing the cause so I'll let Chas help guide us in that arena.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke
"Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems." - Ryan Job, SEAL Team 3
cyphur
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:02 am
Location: Flower mound, Tx

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm

jmra wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:While I understand your point, the economics major in me would like to use a head count of how many of our members have logged into the site more than a handful of times over the past, say, 3 months? That would be a more useful measure to use to compare to the poll participation than the total number of registered users.

:iagree:
That is why I asked if there was a huge difference in the number of members and active members. What you have posted to me is an excellent definition of an active member.

If 200 votes is a significant polling of the active members of this forum, then this forum is not nearly as significant as we all believe it to be. I do not believe that to be the case at all.

Taking it a step further, you would need to know the number of active members to visit this thread. This forum doesn't get nearly the traffic of some others. Personally I spend the majority of my time here in the legislative forums, but judging by post counts, I'm not the typical forum member.
joelamosobadiah
Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:03 am

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby TexasCajun » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

The low response rate could be a reflection of the board's mechanics. It took me a while to realize that I could pull up the active topic list & view what's being discussed on here in the order of the most-recent post. Since discovering that feature, it's my most-often used method of navigating this forum. I rarely look at the pre-defined categories because the individual discussions don't seem to be organized in a meaningful way.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012
TexasCajun
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Deer Park, TX

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby RHenriksen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:20 pm

TexasCajun wrote:The low response rate could be a reflection of the board's mechanics. It took me a while to realize that I could pull up the active topic list & view what's being discussed on here in the order of the most-recent post. Since discovering that feature, it's my most-often used method of navigating this forum. I rarely look at the pre-defined categories because the individual discussions don't seem to be organized in a meaningful way.


Good point, and I went through the same discovery & transition.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs
RHenriksen
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Houston

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby jmra » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
jmra wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:While I understand your point, the economics major in me would like to use a head count of how many of our members have logged into the site more than a handful of times over the past, say, 3 months? That would be a more useful measure to use to compare to the poll participation than the total number of registered users.

:iagree:
That is why I asked if there was a huge difference in the number of members and active members. What you have posted to me is an excellent definition of an active member.

If 200 votes is a significant polling of the active members of this forum, then this forum is not nearly as significant as we all believe it to be. I do not believe that to be the case at all.

Taking it a step further, you would need to know the number of active members to visit this thread. This forum doesn't get nearly the traffic of some others. Personally I spend the majority of my time here in the legislative forums, but judging by post counts, I'm not the typical forum member.


So, if we narrow it down to only members who have visited the legislative forum and 200 votes then becomes significant (assuming it wasn't before setting that criteria), then I am even more alarmed because the issue now becomes one of apathy on the eve of a very important legislative session. Not good if true.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member
User avatar
jmra
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8272
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby jmra » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:27 pm

TexasCajun wrote:The low response rate could be a reflection of the board's mechanics. It took me a while to realize that I could pull up the active topic list & view what's being discussed on here in the order of the most-recent post. Since discovering that feature, it's my most-often used method of navigating this forum. I rarely look at the pre-defined categories because the individual discussions don't seem to be organized in a meaningful way.

Good point. However, if someone who has only been a member for a few months can find their way here, I would think more than 209 could.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member
User avatar
jmra
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8272
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm

jmra wrote:If 200 votes is a significant polling of the active members of this forum, then this forum is not nearly as significant as we all believe it to be. I do not believe that to be the case at all.


It's not. I can see the number of unique hits, etc. on the server. So yes, a very small percentage of Members have voted in the poll.

Chas.
Image
User avatar
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12761
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby steve817 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:However, I'd really be happier following the line of thought you started some months ago: Moving CHL's from PC §46.15(b) to PC §46.15(a), making both Sec. 46.02 and 46.03 non-applicable to CHL's.


I drafted that bill and a Senator has it. We'll see if he's going to introduce it or not. Obviously, I hope so!

Chas.


Like
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan
steve817
Senior Member
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby gigag04 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 pm

I can both campus and open carry now so...

I voted campus carry because it expands a person's right to self defense and will ultimately pave the way for a future OC push.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
User avatar
gigag04
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: Houston

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby RPBrown » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm

I voted campus carry for a couple of reasons.
1) we have a couple of sessions already invested in it
2) I will have grandkids going to college in the foreseeable future (I hope) and plan to visit them (again I hope)

Open carry, although it would be nice to have the option, does not affect me as much as I will probably CC only anyways.
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image
User avatar
RPBrown
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby anygunanywhere » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:11 pm

I did not post when I voted.

I went with campus carry because it is part of the reasonable progression to the ultimate goal of open carry and constitutional carry.

At least in my sometimes fuzzy world.

I totally trust Charles Cotton and his efforts to lead us and influence the legiscritters.

Anygunanywhere
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
III%
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/
User avatar
anygunanywhere
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5076
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby posse » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:53 pm

jmra wrote:Poll has been open for 20 days and only 201 votes. How many members are on this forum? Is there a huge disparity between number of members and number of active members?
So what is it?

1. Members don't care about Campus Carry
2. Members don't care about Open Carry
3. Members don't care about either
4. Members are pollaphobic

A fifth possibility is some members reject the premise of throwing either part of our right to keep and bear arms under the bus. Maybe those members think both restrictions unreasonably infringe our rights, and refuse to play a game that's rigged.
User avatar
posse
Junior Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:56 pm

posse wrote:
jmra wrote:Poll has been open for 20 days and only 201 votes. How many members are on this forum? Is there a huge disparity between number of members and number of active members?
So what is it?

1. Members don't care about Campus Carry
2. Members don't care about Open Carry
3. Members don't care about either
4. Members are pollaphobic

A fifth possibility is some members reject the premise of throwing either part of our right to keep and bear arms under the bus. Maybe those members think both restrictions unreasonably infringe our rights, and refuse to play a game that's rigged.


What do you mean by this post?

Chas.
Image
User avatar
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12761
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX

Re: PolL: Open-carry v. campus-carry

Postby The Annoyed Man » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:05 pm

posse wrote:
jmra wrote:Poll has been open for 20 days and only 201 votes. How many members are on this forum? Is there a huge disparity between number of members and number of active members?
So what is it?

1. Members don't care about Campus Carry
2. Members don't care about Open Carry
3. Members don't care about either
4. Members are pollaphobic

A fifth possibility is some members reject the premise of throwing either part of our right to keep and bear arms under the bus. Maybe those members think both restrictions unreasonably infringe our rights, and refuse to play a game that's rigged.

What game? With all due respect, I think you're seeing something that isn't there. Charles put up a poll. The question was NOT "If only one bill would be proposed by the legislature, would you prefer it to be campus-carry or open-carry?." The question was "If only one bill could pass, would you prefer it to be campus-carry or open-carry?" It is simply an honest attempt to find out what people's priorities are. He's not asking you to support one, and to protest the other. Politics is real, whether or not we want to admit it. You can go down to defeat every single year by insisting on nothing but Constitutional Carry being proposed, and never get anything that you want; OR you can successfully win in increments, with the ultimate goal of Constitutional Carry, and then prioritize which increments should be addressed in what order. Even Arizona didn't get Constitutional Carry until 2010, just two years ago.

And the people who have responded have answered as to their preference, and then they have all said that they support both. I think you're making an issue here where there really isn't one.

Just sayin'.....
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself." — Me
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." — H. L. Mencken
"A ragamuffin knows he’s only a beggar at the door of God’s mercy." — The Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning
User avatar
The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16871
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Open-Carry Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest