Ammo type for Self Defense

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

Re: Ammo type for Self Defense

Postby troglodyte » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Not saying right or wrong, just something to think on.

Paul Harrell on hyper ammunition.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 pm

This thread reminds me of a recent experience I had. I just got my first .44 magnum firearm (well I technically owned one before but never actually fired it - long story). I was buying some ammo for the range and asked the guy helping me to recommend a good self defense round. He replied "it's a .44 magnum, everything is a good self defense round."
Ding dong, the witch is dead

Postby MaduroBU » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 pm

The cheapest stuff that will cycle reliably in your gun,and as nuch as you can afford. Then shoot all of it.

For carry, any of the loads that you cited will work great if the shots are well placed. They'll probably work badly with poor shooting.

We tend to agonize over what might be inside our gun should we ever be forced to draw. I think that we should instead focus upon what has passed through our guns at the range prior to such an encounter.

Postby carlson1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 pm

Topic author

Postby Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

carlson1 wrote:May be interesting to some. ... tests/#9mm

i carry a S&W .40. and that site gave some good info concerning the caliber itself as well as the different ammos tested...

I'm starting to question if critical duty is the way to go or not... they seemed to over penetrate quite a bit. but ive people say "flesh and bone isnt the same as ballistic gel"...
Edit: just noticed the test gun was a Glock 27 sub compact I have a full size M&P... So ignore this post... Heh.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”