Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

What a difference a good holster makes!

Post by KBCraig »

Okay, I didn't exactly move into the Rolls Royce of holsters, but I moved from a Yugo to a Chevy.

I alternate carry guns, between a Makarov and a Ruger P97 (I'm big enough to hide the Ruger). I'd been using a couple of nylon holsters that were really not cutting it. Bother were generic, not fitted to the specific pistol. The Ruger holster was okay IWB, but the plastic clip was risky for under-belt carry. The Mak holster has a great belt clip, but it doesn't have a skin saver, and that safety/DC and rear sight really dug into my skin.

Yesterday, I picked up a Don Hume J.I.T. slide for the P97 (it also fits the other full size Rugers, the P87/89/90/95s). It was dry as a bone, but a bit of oil brought it to life. It's a two-slot holster, so it can bracket the belt loop for 3 o'clock carry. After oiling it up and practicing a few draws, I felt comfortable with it. Wearing a tucked t-shirt and a loose untucked "club" shirt, I'm in no danger of printing.

Today, we spent 8 solid hours at a dog show, walking, standing, sitting, squatting, bending to get dog smooches and give treats, etc. Unlike the constant irritating awareness with the old holster, I was only occasionally reminded of its presence because the weight of a full-size .45 prompted me to hitch up my pants now and then.

I'm in love!

Speaking of love, we discovered another hazard of effective concealment. Mrs. Craig was sitting in a folding chair, and I was standing beside her. She leaned over to give my belly a smooch (as is her wont), and promptly recoiled, having banged her eyebrow on the hammer/slide of the Ruger. Ouch!

She still loves me, though. :-)

Kevin

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Kevin, I couldn't agree with you more. Money spent on a good holster is money well spent. Comfort, security, accessiblity and safety are all enhanced with a good holster. Congratulations on your purchase, I know you'll come to appreciate it more as time passes.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Of the relatively few people I know who carried a gun and quit, all but one used a cheap, ill-fitting holster and/or a weak belt if carried OWB. A flopping, poor supporting holster or belt will magnify the weight of a gun, especially if it's banging you in the ribs!

I have a lot of holsters from different makers, including some I made myself. And yes, I too have a dead holster drawer full of holsters that either didn't make the cut, or that got benched when something better came along. I don't think I'll ever quit buying holsters, but at least I've been able to narrow the regular holster wardrobe to four.

You made a good decision to upgrade.

Regards,
Chas.

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Of the relatively few people I know who carried a gun and quit, all but one used a cheap, ill-fitting holster and/or a weak belt if carried OWB. A flopping, poor supporting holster or belt will magnify the weight of a gun, especially if it's banging you in the ribs!

I have a lot of holsters from different makers, including some I made myself. And yes, I too have a dead holster drawer full of holsters that either didn't make the cut, or that got benched when something better came along. I don't think I'll ever quit buying holsters, but at least I've been able to narrow the regular holster wardrobe to four.

You made a good decision to upgrade.

Regards,
Chas.
I like the term " dead holster drawer " my " dead holsters" are in two large clear storage boxes from the Dollar Store, I always think I might need one of them again. Some day we should all go to the range and have a holster sale or trade day.
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ElGato wrote: . . ., I always think I might need one of them again. Tomcat
:lol: :lol: Tom, this one hits home! Everytime I tell my wife I think it's time to get rid of her high school prom dress since, after 38 years, I doubt she'll wear it again, she reminds me of my dead holster drawer and my argument that "I might need one of them again." (Just kidding about the prom dress, but there are others . . .)

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I was looking at other holsters, when I came upon the Hunter 5200. I was rather shocked when I saw it, because not only is the gun pictured the identical make and model that I carry, it even has the same Hogue slip-on grip!

http://www.huntercompany.com/prohide.html

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What a difference a good holster makes!

Post by gigag04 »

KBCraig wrote:I was only occasionally reminded of its presence because the weight of a full-size .45 prompted me to hitch up my pants now and then.
Find you a good fitting galco belt! You'll love it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”