Kholster vs. Crossbreed -- My thoughts

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
goofygrin
Posts in topic: 2

Kholster vs. Crossbreed -- My thoughts

Post by goofygrin »

OK, I have had a Kholster for about a month now and I carry my CZ82 @ ~3 oclock. I've been pretty happy with it, but getting it "just right" is tough some days. I've not tried to tuck around it yet though. I did combat cut it.

Today I received my crossbreed from crossbreed seconds for my 3.5" RIA 1911 with thin grips. For it being a "seconds" I really can't see anything wrong other than a couple scratches on the clips. It didn't say that it was combat cut on the site, but looks factory combat cut (although compared to the kholster anything looks combat cut lol).

These two holsters are essentially the same. Leather with two clips and some kydex. The Crossbreed is normally more expensive (almost double!) than the Kholster, but on the seconds site they are equivalent.

That said, and again this isn't an apples to apples comparison, I think that the crossbreed is, so far, more comfortable and has a couple things that make it nicer.

First off, it's smaller. Anyone that's looked at the Kholster knows that they look like a pie plate of leather. The Kholster is 2-3" wider. This makes getting the rear clip on harder.

Second the clips are better and have a deeper space for a shirt to tuck on the crossbreed. The are easier to grab and I think they look better than the generic kholster clips (that do mar my belts as well).

Thirdly... I prefer the pre-cut combat cut because, let's be honest, I have no clue what I'm doing so my combat cut isn't nearly as good as the crossbreed.

So where does the kholster shine? First new to new the price is way better. Secondly, and this is a big deal to me, the warranty is vastly better.

So which will be my go to carry? LIkely the 1911 (which is why I got it in the first place). With it's thin grips it's at least .5 and closer to .75" narrower than the CZ82, but it's heavier and has less capacity. It does seem to conceal better. Part of that is the thickness, but as well the crossbreed also is canted more to begin with.

urnoodle

Re: Kholster vs. Crossbreed -- My thoughts

Post by urnoodle »

I've been looking at the crossbreed seconds but it looks like all the 1911s are reserved. I have a holster I like but I was looking at the supertuck for when I am wearing a different type of clothing. I just can't see paying $80 for something that won't get much use. Did you have to put your name on a waiting list to get a 1911?
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

Topic author
goofygrin

Post by goofygrin »

Just got in at the right time. They give people 10 days from when they say "buy" to receive the cash (yes, cash) and then it gets relisted. Check every day and you'll likely get one.

urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

I'll check it more frequently then. I hear crossbreed is one of the most comfortable holsters. Thanks for the info.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by surferdaddy »

Id think they would both be nice and comfy. I went with a galco king tuk and it has been fantastic. It was well priced and available.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

I just bought a crossbreedseconds holster Sunday, they got the $$ yesterday, and I look forward to getting it. It was 'very good' on the condition and only $40, so I'll give a report when it arrives!

:txflag:
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

goofygrin wrote:So where does the kholster shine? First new to new the price is way better. Secondly, and this is a big deal to me, the warranty is vastly better.
I don't know what you are talking about? My CBST had a lifetime warranty. Are you saying that has changed?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Jumping Frog wrote:
goofygrin wrote:So where does the kholster shine? First new to new the price is way better. Secondly, and this is a big deal to me, the warranty is vastly better.
I don't know what you are talking about? My CBST had a lifetime warranty. Are you saying that has changed?
Crossbreed's warranty:

"Once you receive your holster you have two weeks to try it out, if it doesn't work for you, simply give us a ring and we will buy it back, less shipping and handling. Even after your two-week-try-it-free period is over, the holster still carries a lifetime warranty and we will repair or replace it as long as you own it if it fails you in any way under normal use."

Aholster's warranty:

"No Strings Guarantee & Warranty

90 DAY UNCONDITIONAL NO STRINGS GUARANTEE
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for ANY reason, return it to us and we will fix it or refund the purchase price, which ever YOU prefer. All you pay is the shipping. No strings attached. No kidding. Really.

Contact us at 888-556-6640 or support@kholster.com
(I have a day job so I can't always answer the phone. Leave a message and I promise to call you back as quickly as I can.)

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
No legal speak here; just simple talk. If your Kholster ever breaks due to a failure of the materials or craftsmanship, we will fix or replace it free of charge. Just return it to us with a note describing the problem and we will take it from there. Your Kholster will be fixed or replaced promptly so you don’t be without it for long. IMPORTANT: Any modifications you make to your Kholster DO NOT void your warranty! So do what you want to make it fit your style. If the Leather, Kydex, Clips, or Hardware ever fail, we'll fix it for free. Kydex Clips are excluded from this warranty.

No strings attached. No kidding. Really. "

Now I'm just a dumb old country boy but, Aholster's warranty looks superior to Crossbreed's although the CB warranty is nothing to sneer about.

ETA: I own two Crossbreed Supertuck holsters and one Aholster the Aholster clips aren't quite as large as the CB clips so my 1 3/4" belt can't be used with the Aholster small price to pay. I'll probably buy Aholsters from now on and cut them myself especially, since it doesn't void the warranty.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I wear the Kholster clips under the CompTac belt

I wear Comptac's belt with the Velcro sewn in ... to Kholster's clips I added sticky-back Velcro from Walmart .

I can't conceal CrossBreed's clips under my belt, they are too clunky and tell everyone "hey look, I have a Crossbreed SuperTuck, see my clips? ...so you know I have a gun probably"

*** Any brand hybrid holster's clips can be replaced with other clips ****
I mean it's a hole in a piece of leather and you screw your selected type of clip to it with washers... not super complicated ;-)

I wear V-Clips/Velcro-Clips when wearing one of those or the CompTac http://www.comp-tac.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or ComfortCarry http://www.concealedtechnology.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; holsters

Honestly, I prefer J-clips which hide under a belt and also loop underneath so it stays in place ...over all other style clips. (Such as Desantis Supertuck 2 has... and I add Stickyback Velcro, just because I like to) Image

As far as leather differences, finishes/linings/colors etc ... personal preference
Stiffest I ever had was the Rob Durhams's concealedtechnology ComfortCarry, horeshide layer next to skin plus cowhide next to gun ...Not near as comfortable at first as Kholster's floppier/flexing leather ... but more sweatproof and probably last forever ... seems like it takes quite a while to break in too since it's so stiff. I've had 4 or 5 Kholsters, I combat cut some really badly and others real well and some not at all...

Mostly I just wear my Tuck This 2 ... and the others (hybrids) are here if I want them (translation>> holster drawer "rlol" :smilelol5:) but yeah, hybrids are good.
Last edited by RPB on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

BTW
1.25" STANDARD AND C-CLIP SALE!
We will be discontinuing all 1.25” CTAC Standard and C-Clips
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?cPath=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”