Sweatpants

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

b322da
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sweatpants

Post by b322da »

Jumping Frog wrote:
b322da wrote:My son has found a nice solution to carrying when jogging in drawstring shorts -- his Smith & Wesson "Airweight" .38 revolver with recessed hammer, with a DeSantis "Clip-Grip." http://www.desantisholster.com/CLIP-GRIP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would never dream of using a holster or carrying via a "clip" that does not cover the trigger.

The only exception would be if we are talking a single action revolver, like a Colt SAA. For single action revolvers, I like the ones with the loop on the holster that holds down the hammer.
I hasten to say that I know well what you mean, Bob, and in most circumstances I absolutely agree. I do, somewhat reluctantly, make an exception in the case of this Mod. 38 Smith with a recessed hammer.

Before the DeSantis grip I often carried it myself in my pocket, most often as a backup, in either an Uncle Mike, a Remora, or bare in the pocket. I had the trigger adjusted by one of the best gunsmiths I have encountered in my 55 years of handgun shooting, mostly in both military and NRA 2700 bullseye matches. If the recessed hammer is cocked, the trigger pull is 4.25 lbs., the same weight at which I had set my now 100 year-old "real" Colt m1911 competition piece. The revolver trigger was set at 8 lbs. when fired single action. Given the safety feature of the recessed hammer being down when carried (not all that much different in effect, I would suggest, than your holster loop for the exposed hammer of the Colt SAA), the single action trigger pull at 8lbs., and my well-trained sensitivity to keeping my finger out of the trigger except when I fire the revolver, I made this exception to the basic rule you most correctly point out.

I am glad you raised this with me, as when looking at my original post it could be read by one with less experience as being the thing to do with a small revolver off the shelf. (Mine came "off the shelf" in 1973-74). That was not intended. It would of course be irresponsible of me to make such an unqualified suggestion.

My son, who now has the revolver, as well as the rest of my sizeable armory, since I no longer CCW because I am deaf, largely due, I am confident, to so many years of firing a handgun, with shooters to both my right and my left, many of those long-ago years being well before any kind of ear protection other than perhaps a twist of cotton. I do proudly maintain my Texas CHL. I would not bless my son's carrying the Smith as I described earlier unless he had many a bump on his head demonstrating the strictness of my training him in, among other things, safety procedures, and unless I was confident that he properly cares for the Mod. 38 and routinely confirms the trigger pull settings.

Again, thank you, Bob, for waking me up to a sloppy first post, which, to a novice, could lead to a tragedy. You realize of course that I addressed my post to TAM, hardly a novice. It would have been better had I made it a PM to TAM.

Jim

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

I use a grip clip on a S&W 442 that is my back up. It works excellent. I used some years ago that had a differnt name, but they did not give you much grip on the revolver.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
b322da wrote:My son has found a nice solution to carrying when jogging in drawstring shorts -- his Smith & Wesson "Airweight" .38 revolver with recessed hammer, with a DeSantis "Clip-Grip." http://www.desantisholster.com/CLIP-GRIP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would never dream of using a holster or carrying via a "clip" that does not cover the trigger.

The only exception would be if we are talking a single action revolver, like a Colt SAA. For single action revolvers, I like the ones with the loop on the holster that holds down the hammer.
Are uncocked SAO Semis ok, too? Like a 1911 or my P220 SAO?

FWIW, I tend to agree...
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”