The 1911, My First Love

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 10

The 1911, My First Love

Post by Dragonfighter »

I've carried an ugly but reliable Glock as my EDC for nigh on 30 years. I've had various platforms on or about my person since the late 70s. But the 1911, the pistol I qualified with in the Army and the first I carried with any regularity has always been my first love. I've been wanting to return to 1911 carry for a couple of years but haven't ever found one I wanted or while I had the money.

So, I made an expensive mistake while at Carswell Friday. I stopped at the BX to use the head and, of course, that involved walking by the gun counter. I came out with a Sig 4.2" 1911. Now I need help, from fat boys preferred, to select a holster. I started IWB with my Glock but it became a problem on my hip and lower back as it is much thicker than a 1911. I have been on a paddle holster for several years now but it too is uncomfortable.

So any recommendations for a fellow fat boy? I'll consider IWB if it's vouched for or OWB, though I'm not sure I want to do the paddle holster thing again. I do have a steel core gun belt but without a butt to speak of, the paddle holster tended to ply against my hip.

Thank you folks.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The 1911, My First Love

Post by carlson1 »

I am as about as “large” as you can be and still walk. I have used TT Gunleather for over ten years. Tim has even made things special for me that he doesn’t carry. It is costly, but I have never wore one out. The one below is the one I ALWAYS order.
IMG_4265.jpeg

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jb2012 »

Good choice. My Sig 1911 has been the most reliable 1911 I've had, straight out of the box. Very accurate too.

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:14 pm I am as about as “large” as you can be and still walk. I have used TT Gunleather for over ten years. Tim has even made things special for me that he doesn’t carry. It is costly, but I have never wore one out. The one below is the one I ALWAYS order.

IMG_4265.jpeg
That actually looks perfect.
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:07 pm Good choice. My Sig 1911 has been the most reliable 1911 I've had, straight out of the box. Very accurate too.
I know, right? I couldn't believe it fell in my lap for an actually fair price. Plus no sales tax. The only drawback is it's one the government knows I have.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

To this day, this is my favorite OWB holster for the 1911: CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER FOR AUTOS & REVOLVERS.

This is the feature that makes it so comfortable:

At $167.00, it’s not the cheapest holster, but it’s far from the most expensive, and they usually have them in stock.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:42 pm To this day, this is my favorite OWB holster for the 1911: CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER FOR AUTOS & REVOLVERS.

At $167.00, it’s not the cheapest holster, but it’s far from the most expensive, and they usually have them in stock.
That looks like the ticket. I noticed it doesn't have one specifically for the Sig 1911. The guy at the counter said it would fit a Commander holster and they do have a 4 1/4" holster. I like the way it fits against the hip. Does it hold its shape well?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Dragonfighter wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:46 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:42 pm To this day, this is my favorite OWB holster for the 1911: CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER FOR AUTOS & REVOLVERS.

That looks like the ticket. I noticed it doesn't have one specifically for the Sig 1911. The guy at the counter said it would fit a Commander holster and they do have a 4 1/4" holster. I like the way it fits against the hip. Does it hold its shape well?
Someone who has the Sig could help because I have been told the Sig 1911 frame is slight different from the “Colt and Clones.” Don’t know just throwing it out there.

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I guess I could try on Colt Commander holsters and then commit. TAM, what kind of 1911 do you run.

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:07 pm Good choice. My Sig 1911 has been the most reliable 1911 I've had, straight out of the box. Very accurate too.
What type of holster do you use?

The Annoyed Man

Dragonfighter wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:12 pm I guess I could try on Colt Commander holsters and then commit. TAM, what kind of 1911 do you run.
When I do run one, which isn’t very often, it’s a 5” Springfield Loaded model with a trigger job and some Matec machined aluminum extended magwell grips. I run 8-round Tripp Research Cobra mags in it. It’s kind of ugly, but it’s more of a fighting gun than a BBQ gun, and it’s reliable and shoots well.

But 99.9% of the time, I run some model or other of 9mm Glock; and most of that time, it’s a gen4 G19.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I just looked on Galco's website and they may not carry the specific holster Carl was showing for the Sig, they do have several options both OWB and IWB in leather and kydex. I have a couple of Galco's but not for a 1911.
For my 1911's, I have a couple of Don Hume leather holsters, I have a custom made leather holster a friend that is a leathersmith made me and a couple of Kydex by We The People holsters
Last edited by RPBrown on Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

If you don't mind my asking, how're you built and how comfortable are your holsters?

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Dragonfighter wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:45 pm If you don't mind my asking, how're you built and how comfortable are your holsters?
6'3 and 280-300
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

RPBrown wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:11 am I just looked on Galco's website and they may not carry the specific holster Carl was showing for the Sig, they do have several options bot OWB and IWB in leather and kydex. I have a couple of Galco's but not for a 1911.
For my 1911's, I have a couple of Don Hume leather holsters, I have a custom made leather holster a friend that is a leathersmith made me and a couple of Kydex by We The People holsters
Pick that Galco model for any 4" 1911 and it should fit his 4.25" Sig 1911…or look under Colt for a 4-1/4" 1911, or under Para for a 4-1/14" Single Stack Mag. If his Sig has a rail, look under Kimber, and pick 4" 1911 w/rail.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”