Holster for Kimber Ultra Carry?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
PPM
Posts in topic: 4

Holster for Kimber Ultra Carry?

Post by PPM »

Need some advice here. I'm considerin' gettin' either the Kimber Ultra Carry OR the CDP. Think that the 3" barrel combined with a slightly shorter grip might make the 1911 more concealable than my S&W 1911Sc.

If greater concealability is my objective on this 59 year old female-type body, which holster do you think might give me the most comfort combined with great concealability?

Since I haven't shot my son's yet, we both predict that I'll like it. SOOO...

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts on the subject! Please feel free to include a link to the holster that you're recommending. That would be most appreciated, too!
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The greatest concealability will be achieved with a good IWB holster. There are several excellent holsters in both leather and Kydex. If you like Kydex holsters, I would recommend one of Comp-Tacs IWB's. http://www.comp-tac.com

In leather holsters, Sparks makes several excellent holsters. http://www.miltsparks.com/ The most popular leather IWB is probably the Sparks VM-II (VersaMax II). Although it looks bulky, it's actually very comfortable and stable. I own two of these holsters for 1911's, as well as a variant - the HR-LTD. (The HR-LTD is in the “New� section of the Sparks web site.) One of my favorite IWB's is the Sparks #1 Heritage. Here is a short review I did on the Heritage. http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... .php?t=123

There are some OWB holsters that make decent concealment holsters, if you are wearing a cover garment other than a shirt. The Sparks 60TK is a pancake style belt holster that rides very high. The pancake design pulls the gun close to the body and the high ride feature tends to place the gun in a portion of the body that aids concealment. It works better with shorter pistols like the Ultra Carry you are considering. Here is a review I did on the 60TK: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... .php?t=312

I hope this helps.

Chas.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

I conceal a UC 2 OWB alot. It's pretty easy...and thats with a wilson combat mag sticking out.

Good luck!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

56 yr old male type frame. 5'10" 190 lb. I have a Sparks VM2 & conceal a full size Springfield or Kimber Pro. Really like it as does Charles. If you have a relatively straight body build (whether petite or fluffy) I think it would work well for ladies too. If you are slim wasted & full hips it would probably dig into your side.
You will like the K. Some 3" are a little particular about ammo though.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
PPM

Post by PPM »

gigag04 wrote:I conceal a UC 2 OWB alot. It's pretty easy...and thats with a wilson combat mag sticking out.
Do you have a particular OWB that you like for the UC 2? If I go that way, it'd probably be Comp-Tac...but that's not set in stone.
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)

Topic author
PPM

Post by PPM »

longtooth wrote:56 yr old male type frame. 5'10" 190 lb. I have a Sparks VM2 & conceal a full size Springfield or Kimber Pro. Really like it as does Charles. If you have a relatively straight body build (whether petite or fluffy) I think it would work well for ladies too. If you are slim wasted & full hips it would probably dig into your side.
You will like the K. Some 3" are a little particular about ammo though.
Son has the VM2 so I'll try it this wkend when I try the pistol. We'll soon know. My Comp-tac pulls the full size in really close (which works well) so it's a good match. I've gotten my curves back, however, so I fear that some "trial and error" may be ahead.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3" and ammo.
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)

Topic author
PPM

Post by PPM »

I really appreciate all of your thoughts, guys! Keep up the good work! Is there something besides the VM2 that might work well? (No need for more +1's on THAT particular holster. Once I try it this wkend, I'll know more).

I'm hopin' that a lady will pop in and give me some input. Didn't want to double post.
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Please do not forget about Don Hume. Hume offers a very quality product that does not hit your wallet as hard as many of the others. I carry a Don Hume daily with my Glock 26 and am very satisfied with it. http://www.donhume.com/
Give them a look, they offer a wide variety of styles. I prefer the IWB with clip. I use this style because my profession forces me to wear scrubs about 90% of the time.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

PPM wrote:
gigag04 wrote:I conceal a UC 2 OWB alot. It's pretty easy...and thats with a wilson combat mag sticking out.
Do you have a particular OWB that you like for the UC 2? If I go that way, it'd probably be Comp-Tac...but that's not set in stone.
Leather open ended Galco with an FBI cant. Don't know the model, I got it from HighVelocity. Any good all leather holster in such a configuration woudl be about the same. I like the leather hoslters, but have heard good htings about CTAC
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”