New holster-how to smooth rough side in?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
pfgrone
Posts in topic: 2

New holster-how to smooth rough side in?

Post by pfgrone »

Just got my new pocket holster for my new Guardian 380. The holster has a back flap (rough side out) added to a standard holster design (rough side in). The rough side in is fairly rough and stiff and holds the gun in a bit tighter than I would like. Any suggestions for ointments/finishes that would soften/smooth the rough side in? I wouldn't want to put anything on the leather that might be detrimental to the gun finish.
If anyone is interested in seeing the holster, here's the web site:
http://pocketholsters.com/NAA_Pocket_Wa ... lster.html

Thanks, Paul

John
Posts in topic: 1

Post by John »

I've heard of people using silicone spray and i think there is a brand out there called gun slick or somthing like that. I do know that you should be careful of what you use because if it is a formed holster, a lot of conditioners will soften the leather too much and it will lose it's shape. A lot of pocket holsters are rough side out because it helps the holster stay in the pocket when you draw.

Edit... Found another method http://www.hedleyholsters.com/howto.html Scroll down to the bottom. I've not tried this or the silicon method, but have heard of folks using both.
JohnC

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

I have been told not to put oil on a leather holster. I bought a Fist leather holster and they recommended silicone spray. I think it was made by CRC and I found it at an auto parts store.

I have a giant spray can of the stuff. I put it someplace "safe" so my wife wouldn't try to kill roaches with it or clean the counters and mirrors. It's in such a safe place I can't even find it now.

Another method is to put your unloaded gun in a heavy plastic 'freezer bag' or in a nylon dress sock and force it in the holster and leave it sit for a day or two.

I used a freezer bag on that Fist OWB holster and the silicone spray (it took several applications) it has a nice smooth draw now.

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

My holster for IDPA is a "rough side in" design also. Too rough, when new.

In fact, the ejection port of my slide was peeling away small amounts of the leather every time I drew.

To remedy this, I took a paint stick and a small piece of 5/8" dia. dowel, wrapped them both with 150 grit sandpaper... and lightly sanded down the inside of the holster. Mine was dyed black and it didn't remove any of the coloring. All it did was accelerate a process that would have occurred anyway by drawing the pistol and re-holstering again and again.

Less than five minutes of checking the fit (left it just a tad tight) and I was "good to go".
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
pfgrone
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pfgrone »

:smile: Thanks, y'all
The sandpaper idea worked great. I'm going to try the silicone spray to soften the leather just a tad.
Paul

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”