Does anybody make an IWB holster like this?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
O.F.Fascist
Posts in topic: 1

Does anybody make an IWB holster like this?

Post by O.F.Fascist »

I am looking at getting my first concealed carry holster, I've heard good things about the Versa Max II, and it looks good.

What I was wondering though does anyone make a holster similar to it, but with the pistol grip facing the other direction. Instead of having the grip going backwards it would instead go forward.

Just sitting around and thinking about it to me it doesnt seem like pulling a pistol out of a holster like that would be much of any slower to bring it to action from standing, however if one were sitting I think it would be alot more easier to draw the weapon than the standard method.

So does anyone make anything like that? Is there any specific term to describe that? Or am I just wrong and the whole thing is silly?

ferretray

Holster Design

Post by ferretray »

Folks have tried that design from time to time. There are some problems and dangers in that design. The user of said design will "Sweep" himself and about everything around during the draw stroke.
The strong-side VM II and similar designs are safer and provide for a more natural draw than the design you are describing, IMHO. Ray

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

yup - sweeping yourself with the muzzle is not cool at all.

That said, if you want something custom like that, e-mail some of the holster makers (including milt) and see if they can do something for ya.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

You might want to consider a cross draw style holster.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Concerning "sweeping yourself".

Once again (respectfully)...NOPE.

Just like crossdraw, shoulder carry, etc.., if drawn "properly".. the user will not sweep himself or others. In this case, (drawing stronghand).. your draw stroke is kept vertical (keeping muzzle pointed down). As the weapon breaks the plane of the front of your body you can now roll the weapon over and present it as per a normal draw.

I don't know why people continue to envision the draw as: Back of hand to side, pistol drawn from holster, hand articulates towards the shooter (and Lord knows what else), then...weapon finally meets support hand.

If you want to see "swept/covered", take a close look at the muzzle of your weapon when worn IWB and seated.

Some potential problems I do see with this mode of carry is that it doesn't allow you to keep your elbow in close to your body during the draw, and its not a particularly natural movement (unless you have your hands on your hips a lot).

But, if you have a special need...or if circumstance dictates that you carry in this mode...then with a little practice you should be able to make it work.

And no, we do not view your sincerely asked question as "silly".
Last edited by flintknapper on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I will let those that are more tactically trained than I better refute the idea carrying that way would be acceptable.

In a a problem arises situation, it just doesnt seem practical to me.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

gigag04 wrote:I will let those that are more tactically trained than I better refute the idea carrying that way would be acceptable.

In a a problem arises situation, it just doesnt seem practical to me.

Gig,

Your ideas and opinions here are as valid and valued as the next persons.

You needn't have years of tactical training to share your thoughts with us.

Certainly, there are some here with more practical experience and training than either you or I. This does not mean that their recommendations are necessarily suitable or even applicable for every person to whom they reply.

There are many factors to be considered when choosing a mode of "carry" or when exploring other options related to specific needs. What would work well for you...might be impossible for me.

Simply because the mode of carry that O.F.F. asked about would not be taught at a tactical school...does not mean it does not have any merit. Sometimes we let the so called "experts" convince us that there is only ONE best way!

I can find problems and advantages associated with every mode of carry you can imagine. The same holds true for shooting stances, weapon choice, etc...

IMO, the information that is shared here must be received and applied as each person thinks it will benefit them. I am a prime example: I have in the course of my lifetime (52 yrs. so far... :shock: ) sustained several significant injuries..resulting in my not being able to "comfortably" draw from any position other than crossdraw or basically..from in front of my centerline.

So, you can imagine that I will be something less than "persuaded" when the tactical expert of your choice tells me that HIS method is the right way, and that anything less will get you killed.

Don't wait for others to chime in, I am as interested to hear your ideas as theirs. Those who know me..know that I am not dogmatic about very many things, and I try very hard to be the perpetual student. I discovered many years ago that I can learn something new from anyone, any age, any experience level.

Flint.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I guess in my mind, I'm not much of an authority and any information I would post just seems like my opinion. I usually have some level of credibility requirement before taking something I read on a forum and running with it - and I would assume others do as well. Thus I don't want to present myself to know much besides what I've been told by those I feel are credible.

One thing I really don't want to do is post something and say "well so and so says this" because 2nd hand info isn't that great for me as well.

FWIW - in my mind, to execute a tricky draw like that COULD lead to you sweeping yourself with the muzzle, which in turn COULD result you in shooting yourself.

dealbreaker for my untrained self.

:)

-nick

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

gigag04 wrote: FWIW - in my mind, to execute a tricky draw like that COULD lead to you sweeping yourself with the muzzle, which in turn COULD result you in shooting yourself.
:)

-nick

And you would be absolutely right IF a proper draw from this position was not practiced to the point of having it solidly in your muscle memory.

Even so, it is my opinion that it offers little in terms of gaining accessibility and probably isn't worth looking into unless the person has a special need for it.

It is quite "doable" however. Try it for yourself: Unload your weapon (no magazine, and nothing up the spout, or empty cylinder for revolvers). Place the weapon in your current holster back-wards (as much as is possible). Be very careful not to drop and "mar" your gun.

Reach for the weapon with the back of your hand to-wards your side, take a grip, pull straight up, maintain this position (muzzle pointed down) and move the weapon forward of your centerline. Once you've cleared your front, roll the butt of the gun 180 degrees (muzzle still down) and present the weapon as per normal.

As previously mentioned, this requires you to stick your elbow out to your side (assuming you have room) and anatomically speaking, it puts the muscle groups of your arm in a somewhat weak position during the first part of the draw (not a plus either).

I'm not arguing for this type of carry, but I will defend the notion that there is more than one way to "skin a cat".

Thanks Gig.

PPM

Re: Does anybody make an IWB holster like this?

Post by PPM »

O.F.Fascist wrote:I am looking at getting my first concealed carry holster, I've heard good things about the Versa Max II, and it looks good.

What I was wondering though does anyone make a holster similar to it, but with the pistol grip facing the other direction. Instead of having the grip going backwards it would instead go forward.
Back to his question. You MIGHT consider contacting Comp-Tac. They have the C-T.A.C which appears to be SIMILAR to the Versa Max 2...but it's kydex and more adjustable. I know they do custom work — so you might consider contactin' the nice folks there and tell 'em what you have in your mind. There's a chance that Gregg's folks might be able to help you out.

Just tossin' it out there. My philosophy is, "You'll never know...if ya' don't ASK!"
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

barres

Post by barres »

I can't see myself using this type of draw, but, to answer the original question, wouldn't a laeft-handed VMII, worn on the right side (or vice versa) work for what he is talking about? Or are you still wanting the cant in the same direction as a stong-side holster? If that were the case, a left-handed CTAC or similarly adjustable holster would seem to be the best option. Good luck finding the holster that works for you!

fm2

Post by fm2 »

That gun orientation also makes it easier for the BG to get a hold of your pistol. You might try an appendix carry, it is easier to draw while seated.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”