1911 Grips

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gwashorn
Posts in topic: 4

1911 Grips

Post by gwashorn »

I was thinking of making a few changes to my SA PX9104LP 1911. It is a Bitone and looking at the VZ Operator II grips. Any comments or other ideas? Looking for easier mag release, some good gripping and of course, it has to look good! Material differences in upgrade differences in the various type? Thanks

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

DONT TREAD ON ME

Re: 1911 Grips

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I did NOT like the operator IIs. I sent them back and got the Diamondbacks and have been EXTREMELY happy with them. The operators had a very sharp point where the tips of your fingers sat on the grip and it was very uncomfortable to hold much less shoot. You need gloves to use them comfortably.

Check out the diamondbacks...if a gun store around you has a Springer TRP go check it out they are pretty much the same grip.

karl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by karl »

I have handled (not fired) a 1911 with the Operator II grips installed, very aggressive feel to it. I'm getting Aliens soon.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

slinco

Post by slinco »

karl wrote:I have handled (not fired) a 1911 with the Operator II grips installed, very aggressive feel to it. I'm getting Aliens soon.
I have Aliens on my Kimber, they are like holding onto a metal file-super rough/aggressive. I happen to like them but if you are looking for a less aggressive grip the Aliens may not be what you want.
PETULANT MISANTHROPE
Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

Topic author
gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

thanks guys and understand about the level of aggressive texture. That Kimber looks to have Operator IIs on it with the cutout for the mag release. I have handled a TRP before and the grip felt good. The front strap felt like it would take the skin off though. I want to get my front strap done later. I will do some more looking at the stores first if possible. Any other brand of custom grips anyone likes?

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

jtran987

Post by jtran987 »

i too have VZ alien grips on my kimber and i love them, feels nice and alot of grip, only problem i have with the micarta grips is the the grip screws keep loosening after a long shooting session, i suggest using some red locktite to keep them in place good luck and show us when you decided on something

Topic author
gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Thanks to all and will take my time before investing

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

On my CDP I opted for the VZ 320's slims in Blasted Black Canvas. The OEM Rosewood grips were too abrasive when I carried IWB, even with a wife beater on, so I wanted something smoother. They still have a very "grippy" texture without the feel of having a cheese grater against your skin. Only thing you might consider a downfall is that they stain easily because they are canvas. My hands tend to sweat alot so I have dark areas where I grip the gun. They can be washed with soap and water though. Bottom line is I love mine. :tiphat:

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I'm gonna say, CRIMSON TRACE.

Topic author
gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Well, you know I have looked at the nice Burl wood look CT grips. I have Crimson on a few weapons. Been testing a set of grips from them due to failures I have had on past two CCW units. so they had me test some custom made ones for me. I failed them too but they are working on it. But on my 1911 I was looking for both good grip and shamefully so, to add a nice look and different from the wood look. I am still going to go do some looking when I can get out and about. but still want thoughts from you guys. Thanks

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

duallydondon

Post by duallydondon »

Try midwayusa,,,,they have a big selection of grips and most are priced right,,I am looking to buy some that have the golf ball exterior pattern,,handled a 1911 at Pasadena gun show a while back,,feel was super !!!

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”