Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 1

Dovetail Sights and loctite

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Hi fellas,

I'm having a heck of a time finding green loctite 620 to install my front dovetail sight. I've checked hardware stores, auto-part stores and no luck. I have found it on the net, but I refuse to pay $10 shipping for a 1.50 bottle.
Has anyone used red loctite to install sights, and if so what number.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Texas Dan Mosby

Re: Dovetail Sights and loctite

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

I replaced both the front and rear sights on one of my 1911's using red loctite with no issues.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Loctite brand has several versions of "Red", but for other makers such as Permatex, Red is one strength.
Should work just fine.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...I'd use this one... http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/ ... ue-242.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the red requires heat to remove...

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Unless you are absolutely sure your sights are "on" do not use red Locktite on them. The reason I use the green is after confirming the sights are zeroed then I can put a drop to keep it there. Red on a front sight would be OK till it gets damaged and needs to be changed.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

All I use is red Locktite. XS Big Dot Sights come with the red Locktite.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

manuf. claims red takes 500 degree heat to release red...might kinda darken the dot a bit if you had to remove it... http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/ ... ed-271.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...can't imagine why you'd want to remove a front sight but you might the rear sight...or adjust it...

Bear67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bear67 »

Red loctite is what auto parts stores sell. I do not know where you live, but nut and bolt suppliers and industrial supply houses carry a large variety of thread lockers. There are even products that you remove by freezing in liquid nitrogen or dry ice and alcohol.
look at nut, bolt, fastener shops
Machinery supply houses (MSC is national chain with stores in many Texas Cities)
Industrial supply houses
IBM (big Blue) used to make it's own brand of thread locker for mainframe, check sorters ect hardware

I like blue on my fronts and rears. Lots of other applications in firearms using both red, blue and some of the other numbers.
If you have done a Siaga Conversion, use red on the bolts for the trigger guard if you do not rivet--it is a lot easier.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

God Bless America

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...thanks for that reference info...been awhile, but I used to come through your Metropolis often...pretty country 'round there...

Bear67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bear67 »

I left out that it can be ordered on line from Industrial and Machinery suppliers.

I order often from MSC and usually get next day service.
Grainger has 21 Texas locations and stock most loctite products or will have it the next day.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

God Bless America

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Fastenal has 79 locations in Texas so chances are there will be one very close to you. All have a large selection of loctite products and what they don't have they can probably get the next day.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/prod ... tt=loctite
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

duallydondon

Post by duallydondon »

Go to wal mart and get the blue one,,,I use it on my guns and Harley,,so far zero problems

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”