Needing a holster for dress attire

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Zen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Needing a holster for dress attire

Post by Zen »

I have a Crossbreed Super Mini-Tuck (P938) and a CompTac MTAC (P239). Both are comfortable.

One thing to consider when tucking is that your belt clips will be visible. Now most people don't pay attention, but some (especially CHLers) will notice. The Comptac has C-clips, which minimize what is visible, but they can be a little more of a pain to get on and off - important if you have to frequent places that don't allow you to carry.

Another note is that your individual body type, clothing fit, and weapon of choice will all have an impact on finding the right solution. I know people that carry the same gun and holster, but it conceals completely different on them.

Unfortunately, all the advice in the world will not change the fact that the best solutions are quality products that are expensive to test drive.

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

The problem with the IWB tuckable are the clips are hard to hide. I love the Crossbreed supertuck but the standard clips are very noticable when wearing slacks and tucked in dress shirt. The J-hook clips minimize the clips some but it's still noticable to anyone if they look close (they might not know what it is but wonder what it is). Sure wish a company would come up with a "dress attire" clip that's more incognito.

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

Look at Kangaroo Carry. It's great for deep concealment, works with non-fitted dress shirts, and is unnoticeable. Plus you don't need to worry about a gun belt, restroom issues, etc. You can feel it, but it's not uncomfortable, at first. When I'm in a tie, I'd have to lose the buttons on my shirt to get to my weapon, but that's a small price to pay if I have to defend myself. If wearing a golf shirt, you can access your weapon through the neck of the shirt. I also have an IWB Alien Gear that I like. If wearing a shirt untucked I'll use it. For business attire it's Kangaroo Carry.

Only drawback to Kangaroo Carry I have found is it gets a bit warm in the summer time.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Zen wrote:One thing to consider when tucking is that your belt clips will be visible. Now most people don't pay attention, but some (especially CHLers) will notice. The Comptac has C-clips, which minimize what is visible, but they can be a little more of a pain to get on and off - important if you have to frequent places that don't allow you to carry.
Dreamliner wrote:The problem with the IWB tuckable are the clips are hard to hide. I love the Crossbreed supertuck but the standard clips are very noticable when wearing slacks and tucked in dress shirt. The J-hook clips minimize the clips some but it's still noticable to anyone if they look close (they might not know what it is but wonder what it is). Sure wish a company would come up with a "dress attire" clip that's more incognito.
What, like these?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

TEA

Post by TEA »

I like my Garret Industries Silent Thunder Fusion. Like the Crossbreed, it's a tuckable design and is adjustable for cant. The leather lining of the Kydex is quiet and easy on the finish of my 1911. The composite backing (closed cell foam sandwiched between leather and suede with the suede on the skin side). The only downside is that the standard clips are a little bit on the flimsy side. The Comptac clips that Brownells sells works just fine as extras, though. Garret Industries is also a Texas company based in Houston. :txflag:

http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-holsters/

Topic author
dhyde79
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dhyde79 »

bringing this back up from the dead....a change in job, and in gun as well as my CHL finally coming in has all happened, no longer am I on my feet, facing the general public, having to worry about someone seeing it print in the least. now I work in IT, in a deeep dark hallways that nobody visits and nobody cares ;) it's much more forgiving in concealing too ;) only have to have the shirt tucked when going upstairs to see execs and, in the week since my CHL came in, I can say I've learned a lot in how something is still concealed even if you may think it isn't.

I've switched the 5" XD40 out for a Para 14.45 Expert 1911, and, well, I've gotta say, still hiding a full frame pistol, and it's surprisingly easy...on top of that...I've got a local leatherworker making me a custom IWB holster for it plus a spare mag...I'll have it in a couple days...

now just waiting to deal with the HR situation at work...(head of HR swears it's against the rules, but the rules in black and white says "non-licensed possession of a firearm", it's being reviewed currently, I expect the thumbs up soon) once that's done, I'll get to the point where my sidearm doesn't leave my side.....

oh, and, unfortunately, with the new gun, also goes the potential for kydex holsters, I don't want to scuff up the finish on my pistol...

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

dhyde79 wrote:now just waiting to deal with the HR situation at work...(head of HR swears it's against the rules, but the rules in black and white says "non-licensed possession of a firearm", it's being reviewed currently, I expect the thumbs up soon) once that's done, I'll get to the point where my sidearm doesn't leave my side.....
Did you really ask HR for an opinion? Unless you know the answer and are doing it so HR knows too, what's the up side?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Dreamliner wrote:The problem with the IWB tuckable are the clips are hard to hide. I love the Crossbreed supertuck but the standard clips are very noticable when wearing slacks and tucked in dress shirt. The J-hook clips minimize the clips some but it's still noticable to anyone if they look close (they might not know what it is but wonder what it is). Sure wish a company would come up with a "dress attire" clip that's more incognito.
My Crossbreed has Velcro clips that adhere to the inside of my belt. I doubt anyone ever sees my clips.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

tbrown wrote:
dhyde79 wrote:now just waiting to deal with the HR situation at work...(head of HR swears it's against the rules, but the rules in black and white says "non-licensed possession of a firearm", it's being reviewed currently, I expect the thumbs up soon) once that's done, I'll get to the point where my sidearm doesn't leave my side.....
Did you really ask HR for an opinion? Unless you know the answer and are doing it so HR knows too, what's the up side?

I suspect the next word he hears regarding this will be in a revised and updated employee manual that he'll be asked to sign an acknowledgement stating he received and read it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:
tbrown wrote:
I suspect the next word he hears regarding this will be in a revised and updated employee manual that he'll be asked to sign an acknowledgement stating he received and read it.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Bang4Buck
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bang4Buck »

I'm having the same challenge. I am in suit and tie when visiting most of my local clients. I have a comptac mtac and I love it, but the extra couple inches required for IWB means I'd have to order suit pants with extra slack in them. So I currently don't have a good carry option when I'm suited up. OWB doesn't work because I'll take my jacket off frequently.

I also considered the 5.11 tactical shirt, but I don't care for an undershirt, especially in the summer in Texas. I'm a sweater, so this isn't the best option.

Has anyone found a shoulder holster that works? Prefer one that works without an undershirt, though that seems unlikely.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Bang4Buck wrote:I'm having the same challenge. I am in suit and tie when visiting most of my local clients. I have a comptac mtac and I love it, but the extra couple inches required for IWB means I'd have to order suit pants with extra slack in them. So I currently don't have a good carry option when I'm suited up. OWB doesn't work because I'll take my jacket off frequently.

I also considered the 5.11 tactical shirt, but I don't care for an undershirt, especially in the summer in Texas. I'm a sweater, so this isn't the best option.

Has anyone found a shoulder holster that works? Prefer one that works without an undershirt, though that seems unlikely.
I use the Kangaroo holster http://www.kangaroocarry.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Depending on how sensitive your skin is, you may be able to use it without an undershirt. However, I prefer something under it and I have found a good cotton undershirt will actually keep you cooler by wicking away the sweat from your body vs. it soaking into the shirt.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:
Bang4Buck wrote:I'm having the same challenge. I am in suit and tie when visiting most of my local clients. I have a comptac mtac and I love it, but the extra couple inches required for IWB means I'd have to order suit pants with extra slack in them. So I currently don't have a good carry option when I'm suited up. OWB doesn't work because I'll take my jacket off frequently.

I use the Kangaroo holster http://www.kangaroocarry.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Depending on how sensitive your skin is, you may be able to use it without an undershirt. However, I prefer something under it and I have found a good cotton undershirt will actually keep you cooler by wicking away the sweat from your body vs. it soaking into the shirt.

Is this your primary method of carry? Do you experience much sweat penetrating to the gun? I like the looks of it but wonder how practical it would be with my blued Hi-Power.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Bang4Buck
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bang4Buck »

Keith B wrote:

Site and videos look compelling. This may be my answer. Thanks! :cheers2:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Bang4Buck, I carry a Ruger LCP in a Sneaky Pete when I wear a jacket. Looks like a nice cell phone/tablet case on the belt, and if I take the jacket off, still concealed.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”