Question for the CHL Veterans-Concealment

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question for the CHL Veterans-Concealment

Post by RPBrown »

You may also need a quality gun belt. It will make all of the difference in the world as far as concealment.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jmra

Post by jmra »

RPBrown wrote:You may also need a quality gun belt. It will make all of the difference in the world as far as concealment.
:iagree:
You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good belt if you shop wisely. There are several threads about gun belts. I'd read them before buying.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

budroux2w
Posts in topic: 2

Post by budroux2w »

carlson1 wrote:As others have stated it is not against the law. I do disagree that you can't conceal a double stack pistol. Larger shirts and an IWB holster is very easy to completely conceal a double stack pistol.

You may want to try a different holster if you are set on an OWB (out of waist band) or even try an IWB (In the waist band) holster.

Welcome to the Forum and there are no dumb questions. :thumbs2:
:iagree:

I'm a fan of IWB, wouldn't mind trying a couple of different holsters but my supertuck works just fine for me with almost any belt, but obviously better with a proper belt. Shirt length seems to be my main issue, so I either get tall shirts, or buy a size larger.
NRA Life Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Along with the others here, I'll recommend a good holster and a good gun belt. The combination of the two is the best option, but if you had to do with only one, I'd buy the belt first.

My holster is a Crossbreed Supertuck, using velcro clips (so they cannot be seen at all), and a good belt from Comp-Tac. The belt has the soft side of the velcro all around the inside, so the holster fits well. Once I put it on, it doesn't move a single bit - and I carry a full-size Sig 2022, with an extra 2-round extension on the bottom of the mag.

That not moving part is important. Less movement means less adjusting and checking, which means that less attention is drawn to your waistline in general.

Most people won't notice anything. In the rare instance that someone may notice, most of us have a few rehearsed lines in case anyone ever asks if we have a gun on our hip:
  • "No, it's a cell phone holder"
  • "No, it's an insulin pump" (people rarely continue to pry about medical items)
  • "No, it's a colostomy bag" (same as above - but even more a conversation-killer)
  • "No, it's an emergency ventilator" (same as above, but actually true this time, because if you ever had to use it, you'd be ventilating your attacker) :biggrinjester:
Thanks for making the choice to carry, and welcome to the best forum on the 'net, You'll find lots of people here willing to help you anytime you want.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

sbrawley wrote:Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I did read on here about gun belts, and someone had mentioned that Faded Glory makes a "work belt" that can somewhat be a decent gun belt so I purchased one. I will definitely be purchasing an actual gun belt. Hopefully, my aliengear holster will ease some of my worries also when it arrives. I may also have to go shirt shopping (sure the wife wouldn't mind that...lol) and get some shirts that will help with the concealment.
Take your new carry rig with you when you go shirt shopping. I have a double stack 9mm and a full sized 1911. With the right shirt I would feel comfortable with both IWB at the same time (except the constant adjusting of the pants).
NRA Life Member

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

I concur with everyone on the need for a good belt and good holster. However, you don't need a custom leather shop for either. I've had good luck with Galco and Desantis products, and both are reasonably priced. I also like the belts from Wilderness Tactical. I've had both my Frequent Flyer belts (5-stitch) for 5+ years with little wear & no loss in support.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Jason K wrote:I concur with everyone on the need for a good belt and good holster. However, you don't need a custom leather shop for either. I've had good luck with Galco and Desantis products, and both are reasonably priced. I also like the belts from Wilderness Tactical. I've had both my Frequent Flyer belts (5-stitch) for 5+ years with little wear & no loss in support.
For concealed carry the Wilderness instructor series belts are better than the frequent flyer version IMHO. I have and use both, but use the FF just to hold the pants up while traveling by air.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've been carrying for many years and I've never been asked if I have a gun on my hip.

If, I'm ever asked, I'd don't feel compelled to answer as it's no ones business.

Am I being pugnacious?

Yes.

I'm not going to reply to such a personal question with something like it's a colostomy bag or some other obfuscation.

If though, I am ever asked and if I'm in the mood, I might answer such a deeply personal question with a question like: What kind of underwear are you wearing?

I think understanding will come about...but if it doesn't, I wouldn't really give a ...darn.

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

Excaliber wrote:
Jason K wrote:I concur with everyone on the need for a good belt and good holster. However, you don't need a custom leather shop for either. I've had good luck with Galco and Desantis products, and both are reasonably priced. I also like the belts from Wilderness Tactical. I've had both my Frequent Flyer belts (5-stitch) for 5+ years with little wear & no loss in support.
For concealed carry the Wilderness instructor series belts are better than the frequent flyer version IMHO. I have and use both, but use the FF just to hold the pants up while traveling by air.
Only difference b/t the two is the buckle. I went with the FF for comfort and because I had a job that required me to go through metal detectors a lot.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Jason K wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Only difference b/t the two is the buckle. I went with the FF for comfort and because I had a job that required me to go through metal detectors a lot.
I like the instructor version because the buckle is totally non slip. The FF version can loosen up some during activity. It's not a big deal - just a preference.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”