Raven Vanguard II - Appendix Carry

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
spongeworthy
Posts in topic: 5

Raven Vanguard II - Appendix Carry

Post by spongeworthy »

Looking for comments from those who have experience using the Raven Concealment Vanguard II "holster" clip.

I normally carry with a Galco King Tuk in 3:00-4:30 IWB, and occasionally with my Comp-Tac Infidel. Would like to try an appendix carry solution for the summer heat where it's slightly more concealable on my small frame. Anyone use the VGII regularly and have opinions on it either way?

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Raven Vanguard II - Appendix Carry

Post by longtooth »

My EDC is the Phantom but never the VGll. I sure like what they build.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

I love my Vandguard 2. I use one on my Glock 30s and my Glock 26. I have used them as a tuckable also. I sure wished they would bring one out for the Shield.

Topic author
spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

Thanks -- after watching just about every YouTube review I ordered one. Seems like a good appendix carry option with minimal material.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I wear my Glock 30s a lot about 4 O clock with the vanguard 2. It is about the same size as a Glock 19 or 23.

RKlenka
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RKlenka »

I have a few that that i use and like for other tasks but i was never fond of using it as a appendix carry. Not so much that i viewed it as any kind of safety issue but i just prefer to have it fully inclosed in kydex. The fact that i find that i am slower on the draw with them than any other standard IWB appendix doesn't help either, but that could just be a practice thing.

I do use them all the time when i carry off person in a bag or backpack or anything like that and my wife will use one for her purse. But i never really liked it for actual IWB appendix carried. I have always preferred the Comp-Tac 2 O'clock or a Dale Fricke one for the RMR.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have a Vanguard II that I use with a G19 and a Dale Fricke hoster that I use with the G19 and an older G17.

I like them both, still deciding which is better. I started with the Dale Fricke holster for a month or two, then picked up the Vanguard. The Vanguard felt better, at first anyway, and felt like it kept the G19 closer to the body. The tab on it did seem to kind of dig in to my body sometimes at the end of the day. I always used the snapped belt loops to secure it, I just don't like the lanyard business.

I wore it for a couple months, then this past weekend I went to a training event where I knew I would be doing a lot of reholstering. When using the Vanguard with the belt loops, it takes a few moments and some maneuvring to get it reholstered safely, since you have to unsnap the belt loops, take out the vanguard, snap it on the pistol, then put pistol in pants and the loops around the belt. I thought this would be too much hassle for the course, so I went back to the Dale Fricke holster. Now that one feels better. :)

Hope this helps.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

ELB wrote:I have a Vanguard II that I use with a G19 and a Dale Fricke hoster that I use with the G19 and an older G17.

I like them both, still deciding which is better. I started with the Dale Fricke holster for a month or two, then picked up the Vanguard. The Vanguard felt better, at first anyway, and felt like it kept the G19 closer to the body. The tab on it did seem to kind of dig in to my body sometimes at the end of the day. I always used the snapped belt loops to secure it, I just don't like the lanyard business.
I wondered about that tab for the lanyard and maybe taking it down a few centimeters to a smooth nub with a dremel or similar, since I doubt I'll be using the paracord option. But I'll wait and see how it feels on my body and how I like the holster first.

ELB

Post by ELB »

spongeworthy wrote:
I wondered about that tab for the lanyard and maybe taking it down a few centimeters to a smooth nub with a dremel or similar, since I doubt I'll be using the paracord option. But I'll wait and see how it feels on my body and how I like the holster first.

I've thought of that too. One reason I delayed is that as the literature for it points out, in the unfortunate case where one pulls the pistol and the holster is still attached to the trigger guard, it provides a tab to use to knock it off. But with belt loops this should be no more likely than with any other holster that grips on the trigger guard and has loops. I may try that next.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

Well it arrived and I like it for the most part, however, when I try to disengage my handgun from the clip it doesn't do so quite easily. Each time I jerk it up and out it stays attached to the gun and pulls all the way out from my waistline (with the loop still attached to belt). I'm guessing I need a stronger belt..

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Again I like the Vanguard II. I never worry about reholstering I am more concerned with the draw.

If I am going to the range to draw and reholster then I use a holster. The Vanguard II is not a holster. I may be mistaking, but I don't believe they advertise it as a holster.

RKlenka
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RKlenka »

Yea i am never really able to get a nice smooth consistent draw with the raven holster. It always felt like i was trying to start a lawn mower in my pants. They are nice to have as backups and like i said i use them around for other things but i have no plans on using them as a primary way to carry.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

ELB

Post by ELB »

spongeworthy wrote:Well it arrived and I like it for the most part, however, when I try to disengage my handgun from the clip it doesn't do so quite easily. Each time I jerk it up and out it stays attached to the gun and pulls all the way out from my waistline (with the loop still attached to belt). I'm guessing I need a stronger belt..
Yeah, like RKlenka said, I didn't like the lawnmower starter effect, which is why I didn't like the Zack either. but with the Vanguard, you can also use belt loops, and I found that worked pretty well. When I bought it, it came with both the lanyard and the belt loops, so I hope yours did too. Give it a try.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

ELB wrote:
Yeah, like RKlenka said, I didn't like the lawnmower starter effect, which is why I didn't like the Zack either. but with the Vanguard, you can also use belt loops, and I found that worked pretty well. When I bought it, it came with both the lanyard and the belt loops, so I hope yours did too. Give it a try.
Yeah, I was using the belt loops. I just wanted something more concealable for summer carry with lighter and less clothing. I've ordered an actual gun belt, so I'll give it a try after that, but if I can't get it to disengage easier I'll just relegate it to storage use.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”