Good holster to use while wearing shorts?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jailbird
Posts in topic: 2

Good holster to use while wearing shorts?

Post by jailbird »

All,

I've been carrying for about a year now since I got my CHL. Since I work from home, I normally wear gym shorts and a t-shirt when I'm out and around. On the weekends when I go to the ranch I wear real jeans, but I can open carry there! :lol:

I've been using a Kangaroo Carry and it works okay, however now that it's summertime again, when it gets hot and humid, it starts sticking to my torso which is really uncomfortable. I'm also worried because the draw using the Kangaroo isn't exactly smooth.

I normally carry my XD-s .45 ACP, however sometimes I carry my XD SC 9mm. I thought about a pocket holster, but both of those are a little chubby, and I'm worried about the weight pulling my shorts down.

Any helpful suggestions on something to use at least until it starts cooling off again? I'd appreciate any ideas!

Thanks!

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Good holster to use while wearing shorts?

Post by The Marshal »

Don Hume 721OT with Belt and shorts are good to go for XD-SC

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

The Marshal wrote:Don Hume 721OT with Belt and shorts are good to go for XD-SC
Sure, if you're wearing cargo shorts, you can generally use the same gear you use with long pants. Other than a ankle rigs. :mrgreen:

Gym shorts and sweat pants have their own set of challenges. Without a good gun belt, most IWB & OWB holsters are compromised. Pocket holsters holding anything much larger than a Seecamp tend to pull down unstructured pants. Underwear holsters (shirt, belly band, etc.) do work for some people. So do gun packs. Some women I know have success with the remora-style holster.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

take a look at pistolwear.com. i use it at the gym. It has the Perspiration barrier.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Fanny pack works really well for those times when belts aren't an option.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

I have the same challenge. Bought a kydex pocket holster and like its secure, safe grip of the S&W Shield. Have carried it on three Saturday outings in cargo shorts and the weight is more than I am use to, of course, but I think I will get use to it. I want something I can pick up quick for a short run to the store and not have to mount the IWB hybrid.

I may need to tie it somehow to the bottom of the pocket so when I present it does not come out of my pocket. Thinking about trying a shoelace sowed into the bottom seam of the pocket and tie to the hoster in the holes provided. Anyone have other ideas please let me know.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

I use a Tactipac Fusion when I am wearing shorts like you describe...

You can check them out at http://www.tactipac.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also search this forum and find some reviews and discussions from when they were having delivery troubles (mine took a full 3 months to deliver vs. a promised 5 week delivery on their website). I haven't kept up with their deliveries lately. I did notice that they have many listings on ebay now (I assume for in stock merchandise).

In the end it's a great holster for times when I am physically active and can't wear my normal IWB and Gun Belt.

My two cents.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

them

Post by them »

If you are willing to wear a belt you can carry just about anything.

E.g. last Saturday I wore drawstring athletic shorts and a vented-back "river shirt". Around my hips (but not connected to my shorts) I had a gun belt with a Simply Rugged Cuda worn IWB to hold a G22. It was fine. I drove a bunch, ate out a few times, did yard work, some grocery shopping...no issues. You couldn't see I was wearing a belt or a gun unless I lifted my shirt.

Topic author
jailbird
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jailbird »

Thanks all, this gives me a lot of options to go over. I'll probably end up having to try a few and see what works best.

I used to never step outside without putting a pair of jeans on. I guess as I've gotten older/lazier, I haven't cared as much. :lol::

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I carry a snubby in a Mica's pocket holster. I don't like carrying a pistol in my pocket, a DA revolver is ideal for this kind of carry. I wear cargo shorts most of the time in the summer pocket carry is ideal.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

jailbird wrote:Thanks all, this gives me a lot of options to go over. I'll probably end up having to try a few and see what works best.

I used to never step outside without putting a pair of jeans on. I guess as I've gotten older/lazier, I haven't cared as much. :lol::
Try the Nemesis pocket holsters. As long as your gym shorts have a string the Nemesis stays put IWB when you tie the string. I use that setup with my LCR to go on walks/jogs and I haven't had any problems.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

rev210

Post by rev210 »

I use a Remora holster with gym shorts and it works well with a XDs 45 and Glock 26.

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

I second the Remora

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I swear by the Sticky holster (same type of holster as the Remora but with a smooth finish) for this type of carry.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”