Fnding extremely hard to holster using IWB in a Car

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fnding extremely hard to holster using IWB in a Car

Post by ScooterSissy »

I work in a Federal facility, so have to leave my gun in my vehicle in the parking lot. In addition, I ride a motorcycle, so there really is no option to disarm and rearm "inside" the vehicle. A long time ago, I just settled with myself that the best option for me was open the trunk of the bike, and turn so the trunk lid is mostly hiding my holster. Then I just take the gun from the trunk and holster it. This actually is smooth enough that I once had a guy follow me out talking, and I kept waiting for him to leave, he never did, so I finally just holstered in front of him, and he never even noticed. I brought it up to him a few days later, and he was surprised to find that I had holstered a gun in front of him (he thought I was joking at first). People really are often just totally unaware of the details around them.

But, I digress. Back to the car issue. On the few times I have to take the family vehicle to work, I used the same basic process, and am really even hidden better. I take the gun from my spot in the car, and just stand in the "corner" of the door and car body, and holster it. I don't think there's much chance of someone even being able to see what I'm doing, and far less chance that they would realize what they were looking out even if they could.

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 7

Post by BCGlocker »

OMG, just saw this, http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firea ... ischarges/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TVGuy »

I'm not sure what you wear, but I'd suggest a sturdy OWB holster. Nobody notices if you have anything over it.

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 7

Post by BCGlocker »

TVGuy wrote:I'm not sure what you wear, but I'd suggest a sturdy OWB holster. Nobody notices if you have anything over it.
I just moved to Texas from Kalifornia about 6 weeks ago. Therefore, this is my first season doing EDC. I have been using OWB at 3:00 with a jacket/flannel shirt covering the gun as my EDC for the past two months. However, I usually wear polo shirts and shorts during the summer. I think my polo shirt will print with the OWB carry and therefore purchased three 5.11 Covert Casual Shirts. I know people probably can't see the OWB carry with my 5.11 Covert Casual Shirt, but the thought without a jacket using only the shirt for only cover is a bit scary for me. I therefore, decided to try IWB with the 5.11 Covert Casual Shirts at 4:30 position. I have been practice draw with this set up and am getting more comfortable doing so. I don't like re-holstering at the range and hate re-holstering in the car.

Maybe at some point I will be comfortable doing OWB carry with my 5.11 Covert Casual Shirt down the road. I would like to hear from people do OWB carry during summertime and how everyone deals with the print issue and accidentally exposure of the firearm issue.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

BCGlocker wrote:
TVGuy wrote:I'm not sure what you wear, but I'd suggest a sturdy OWB holster. Nobody notices if you have anything over it.
I just moved to Texas from Kalifornia about 6 weeks ago. Therefore, this is my first season doing EDC. I have been using OWB at 3:00 with a jacket/flannel shirt covering the gun as my EDC for the past two months. However, I usually wear polo shirts and shorts during the summer. I think my polo shirt will print with the OWB carry and therefore purchased three 5.11 Covert Casual Shirts. I know people probably can't see the OWB carry with my 5.11 Covert Casual Shirt, but the thought without a jacket using only the shirt for only cover is a bit scary for me. I therefore, decided to try IWB with the 5.11 Covert Casual Shirts at 4:30 position. I have been practice draw with this set up and am getting more comfortable doing so. I don't like re-holstering at the range and hate re-holstering in the car.

Maybe at some point I will be comfortable doing OWB carry with my 5.11 Covert Casual Shirt down the road. I would like to hear from people do OWB carry during summertime and how everyone deals with the print issue and accidentally exposure of the firearm issue.
Welcome to Texas! I OWB G19 under a polo (untucked) all the time, nobody has seemed to notice.

Neither of the things highlighted above are illegal.

You'll get more used to it as you continue to carry.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

TVGuy wrote:
BCGlocker wrote:

Welcome to Texas! I OWB G19 under a polo (untucked) all the time, nobody has seemed to notice.

Neither of the things highlighted above are illegal.

You'll get more used to it as you continue to carry.
I also wear untucked polo shirts and I've never had anyone notice, even at work. I carry various guns...today a CZ-75 Phantom but have carried full size Glocks and K-Frame revolvers the same way.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

This is why i started appendix carrying. It is the only true way, in my opinion, to carry a gun and get to it and almost all situations. This carry isnt for everyone. It took a bit getting used to especially with a Glock 19. However, I can wrestled with my kids at the park, draw from sitting down in all the cars I have been into, and do things around a store bend, reach, etc with tighter fitting clothing (how I stay cool).

Best of luck.
(insert clever signature here)

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I carry OWB w/untucked shirt. It's easy to unholster while seated, which I do and place CC in auto lock box. I stand beside my vehicle when re-holstering so that holster is in clear view for me (4 O'clock) - this in outdoor or parking garage. I frankly don't care if this action is caught on camera - I'd rather be safe than sorry. Don't much care if someone witnesses from near or far as I'm off to my next stop or home or whatever. I've no doubt been seen several times re-holstering by cameras and humans over time. I'm thinking too many CHL'ers think to much about what others think, that in all probability don't even notice what you just stuck on your belt - or I'm just not paranoid.

rentz

Post by rentz »

1s1k52 wrote:This is why i started appendix carrying. It is the only true way, in my opinion, to carry a gun and get to it and almost all situations. This carry isnt for everyone. It took a bit getting used to especially with a Glock 19. However, I can wrestled with my kids at the park, draw from sitting down in all the cars I have been into, and do things around a store bend, reach, etc with tighter fitting clothing (how I stay cool).

Best of luck.

agree with this, i got a clearance appendix holster for my shield and its turned into one of my favorite ways to carry. it's easy to conceal and very easy to get to in any situation, i could even draw if needed while seatbelted in the drivers seat.
BUT it's not for everyone, i find my gut gets dug into occasionally and if i'm having a bit of an uneasy stomach (stupid stomach virus) it makes it feel much worse.

I highly suggest people at least find a appendix holster and give it a try, esp if you will be in and out of the car a lot.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

VMI77 wrote:I used to have that problem when I carried IWB. Now I only carry OWB and it's no longer a problem. Even OWB, some holsters are easier to use than others....a Blackhawk Serpa holster is very easy on re-holstering.
THIS^^

I began carrying OWB almost exclusively not too long after I first got my license, and I haven't looked back. My principle variation on this is a shoulder holster......which solves most car-related problems..... but I carry that way so rarely that it is safe to say that on any given day, I'm carrying OWB, on my hip.

My problem is compounded by being left-handed ..... it being much more difficult when driving to get to my gun and draw it if needed than if it were on my right hip. But I balance that difficulty against the increased opportunity for a ND inside my car while unholstering and reholstering during transition from my belt holster to an off-body holster, and have concluded that the smaller risk is with keeping the gun on my hip.

BTW, if OC passes, your problem goes away. Simply use and OWB and unholster/reholster while standing outside of the car, between the open door and the car body.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rentz

Post by rentz »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
VMI77 wrote:I used to have that problem when I carried IWB. Now I only carry OWB and it's no longer a problem. Even OWB, some holsters are easier to use than others....a Blackhawk Serpa holster is very easy on re-holstering.
THIS^^

I began carrying OWB almost exclusively not too long after I first got my license, and I haven't looked back. My principle variation on this is a shoulder holster......which solves most car-related problems..... but I carry that way so rarely that it is safe to say that on any given day, I'm carrying OWB, on my hip.

My problem is compounded by being left-handed ..... it being much more difficult when driving to get to my gun and draw it if needed than if it were on my right hip. But I balance that difficulty against the increased opportunity for a ND inside my car while unholstering and reholstering during transition from my belt holster to an off-body holster, and have concluded that the smaller risk is with keeping the gun on my hip.

BTW, if OC passes, your problem goes away. Simply use and OWB and unholster/reholster while standing outside of the car, between the open door and the car body.

If OC passes I wont be worried about accidental display so i'll likely move to an OWB solution. The few times I've tried it (usually cheap kydex OWB) I found that the bottom of the holster kept showing during movement.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Sounds like you just need some practice... with a slight lean to my weak side, I can reholster or insert the gun and the IWB holster without difficulty, while seated in my truck. In my wifes car, I have to schooch forward in the seat before I do the same lean. But with a few minutes practice at home, it became very easy.

As mentioned, try it at home with an empty gun and you should be good to go in no time.

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

The Annoyed Man wrote: My problem is compounded by being left-handed ..... it being much more difficult when driving to get to my gun and draw it if needed than if it were on my right hip. But I balance that difficulty against the increased opportunity for a ND inside my car while unholstering and reholstering during transition from my belt holster to an off-body holster, and have concluded that the smaller risk is with keeping the gun on my hip.

Really? I'm left handed and I haven't had an issue. OWB or IWB. I actually practice seated draws (unloaded of course) in the car. If you are shooting towards the driver's side you can't get to full extension but you can draw fast and get shots off under pressure. Being the passenger side is worse as you now have to contend with the seatbelt and center console (I carry in the 8:00 position). The same practice has helped me get better at re-holstering in the seated position. It's still not "easy" but while looking at the holster I can get the pistol back in avoiding snags an other potential ND causing issues.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”