GLS Safariland. Paddle holster fans?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 3

GLS Safariland. Paddle holster fans?

Post by 1s1k52 »

https://www.safariland.com/category-lan ... sters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking about getting one of these. I rarely OWB but for 40.00 if I can use this to carry a sig 226 or a Glock 17 if need be not bad. Anyone used this holster?

Would a belt clip or paddle be better? I have never used a paddle holster.
(insert clever signature here)

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: GLS Safariland. Paddle holster fans?

Post by A-R »

I haven't actually seen this model in stores yet, but plan to get one soon as I do. Seems it will hold gun tighter to body. Easier to conceal.

https://www.safariland.com/belt-slide/m ... 53700.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

A-R wrote:I haven't actually seen this model in stores yet, but plan to get one soon as I do. Seems it will hold gun tighter to body. Easier to conceal.

https://www.safariland.com/belt-slide/m ... 53700.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the looks of this one. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available for a Hi-Power at this time. If you get one, would like to hear your feedback.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

mojo84 wrote:
A-R wrote:I haven't actually seen this model in stores yet, but plan to get one soon as I do. Seems it will hold gun tighter to body. Easier to conceal.

I like the looks of this one. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available for a Hi-Power at this time. If you get one, would like to hear your feedback.
Also not available for a Glock 21 or 30.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I have two Bianchi model 7500 paddle holsters. They both work well. One for my fullsize 1911 framed pistol and one for a medium frame S&W pistol. They also come in revolver sizes. :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:I have two Bianchi model 7500 paddle holsters. They both work well. One for my fullsize 1911 framed pistol and one for a medium frame S&W pistol. They also come in revolver sizes. :thumbs2:
What are some pros and cons to a paddle holster? I have read that it keeps it secure with a quick on and off. They make a belt clip in the same model so just curious what would be better suited

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

1s1k52 wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:I have two Bianchi model 7500 paddle holsters. They both work well. One for my full size 1911 framed pistol and one for a medium frame S&W pistol. They also come in revolver sizes. :thumbs2:
What are some pros and cons to a paddle holster? I have read that it keeps it secure with a quick on and off. They make a belt clip in the same model so just curious what would be better suited
I don't know about the belt Clip, but I have one for the S&W that has a belt loop on it that I wore daily for a couple of years. Worked just fine.

I like the 7100 and 7500 because I carry condition 1 and their design puts a piece of the holster between the hammer and the firing pin.

I use the same thing in my Bianchi leather pancake holster for my larger pistol. :coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Let me just throw in my $0.02 in this conversation.

I picked up a GLS last week to see how effective it would be as an OWB holster. In a word: Excellent. In two words: Very excellent. :lol:

There's a few things that really make the GLS stand out from the crowd of tupperware holsters these days, let me try to enumerate them:
  • Affordability: You can find a GLS holster for about $40. That's pretty good for a holster of this quality
  • Flexibility: One of the great things about the GLS is that, while it's not a one-size-fits-all, it's definitely a one-size-fits-many. It's very compatible with a lot of different pistols, so one holster will work just fine with your Glock and M&P (amen!). The holster's paddle-lock system definitely stays secure on your pants, but you can switch it to a belt-loop mount in the same package.
  • Security: The Grip Lock System originally gave me concern. I wasn't convinced it would be easy to draw, but this design is FAR superior to the Blackhawk "index press" system or Safariland's own thumb-release system. The only thing to watch out for is that you need to firmly reholster the gun to snap things into place. As with any reholstering maneuver, you should practice frequently with an unloaded weapon before attempting with a loaded one. I like the firmness of the "snap in" feel, but if the trigger gets hooked on clothing as you drive it into the holster..... well, that guidance applies to ANY holster, but be extra careful with this one (but let's be honest, you shouldn't be popping your carry gun in and out of the holster, should you? :mrgreen: ).
So, this holster gets OldCannon's approval for Open Carry once it's legal in Texas :cheers2:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

OldCannon wrote:Let me just throw in my $0.02 in this conversation.

I picked up a GLS last week to see how effective it would be as an OWB holster. In a word: Excellent. In two words: Very excellent. :lol:

There's a few things that really make the GLS stand out from the crowd of tupperware holsters these days, let me try to enumerate them:
  • Affordability: You can find a GLS holster for about $40. That's pretty good for a holster of this quality
  • Flexibility: One of the great things about the GLS is that, while it's not a one-size-fits-all, it's definitely a one-size-fits-many. It's very compatible with a lot of different pistols, so one holster will work just fine with your Glock and M&P (amen!). The holster's paddle-lock system definitely stays secure on your pants, but you can switch it to a belt-loop mount in the same package.
  • Security: The Grip Lock System originally gave me concern. I wasn't convinced it would be easy to draw, but this design is FAR superior to the Blackhawk "index press" system or Safariland's own thumb-release system. The only thing to watch out for is that you need to firmly reholster the gun to snap things into place. As with any reholstering maneuver, you should practice frequently with an unloaded weapon before attempting with a loaded one. I like the firmness of the "snap in" feel, but if the trigger gets hooked on clothing as you drive it into the holster..... well, that guidance applies to ANY holster, but be extra careful with this one (but let's be honest, you shouldn't be popping your carry gun in and out of the holster, should you? :mrgreen: ).
So, this holster gets OldCannon's approval for Open Carry once it's legal in Texas :cheers2:
What model are you referring to for the M&P?
NRA Life Member

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

GeekwithaGun wrote: What model are you referring to for the M&P?
I think it's the 578 GLS.

This is the fitting guide for it:
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaqv_pr ... 030215.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

OldCannon wrote:

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaqv_pr ... 030215.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I understand the models, like the 578, are based on frame type and length of barrel. In other words that model can do an MP, sig, or glock. How well they work in one holster is what I am curious about.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

1s1k52 wrote:
OldCannon wrote:

From what I understand the models, like the 578, are based on frame type and length of barrel. In other words that model can do an MP, sig, or glock. How well they work in one holster is what I am curious about.
Well, I don't have SIG 229/226's anymore, but I just tested the holster with a Glock 19 Gen4, Glock 34 Gen3, and an M&P full size 9mm. All holstered and locked flawlessly, all drew properly without snagging. I'd say the Glocks had a little wiggle to them, but nothing bad and certainly nothing that would affect the retention abilities.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”