Managing a bunch of holsters?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 5

Managing a bunch of holsters?

Post by johncanfield »

Now that I have a bunch of holsters for different guns, I'm having trouble keeping them separated by gun - put them in one pile and they all look so similar. If holster makers would always stamp the gun type on the backside that would make it easy to ID but Galco, DeSantis, Talon for three examples don't stamp the gun type but only their model number. I have temporarily put a few in large zip lock bags but that's not a good log term solution. Ideas?
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

mcscanner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Managing a bunch of holsters?

Post by mcscanner »

Contrasting color Sharpie permanent marker if leather or engraving tool if kydex.

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

gfmun

Post by gfmun »

I just take a Sharpie and write the information on the back of the holster. Thiis works great for me and I have done it for several years.

Thanks,
George

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

I have two Crossbread SuperTuck IWB holsters, one for my Ruger CMD and one that fits both my M&P 40 and FNP9... i just marked on the back with a sharpie--- FNP9 and 1911.. havent mixed them up yet.

the OWB holsters are completely different styles so for me its kinda had to mix them up...
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

You think you have problems - you should see my holster box :lol:

You can use a tape label maker to put a gun ID label on the backside of the holster somewhere where it won't be constantly rubbed. This works on kydex and smooth leather - won't work on the rough side of rough side out holsters.

Another solution is to go to WalMart and get some of their stackable plastic storage bins sized according to how many holsters you have for each type of gun and label the bin.

I do both.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I have a good label maker and have some cloth-based labels, that's a great idea for the smooth leather ones. Thanks for great ideas everybody!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Isn't that an indication that you have too many guns and holsters and need to sell some off to some of the forum members? :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I take a silver sharpie, and I have a "code" system for my stuff.

Glock 9mm mags get a single dot, at the lower end of he back of the mag for Glock 17, at the upper end for the G19 (I can tell a G26 mag by looking at it).

Glock 40 22 mags get a line across the lower end of the back of the mag to distinguish them from the 9mm.

Any holsters for glock 9/40 get a single dot on them to denote 9/40 size. If they are Glock 19 specific (I only have on raven that is for a 19) I just write "19" on the back.

Glock 45 mags get a + sign on the lower end of the back, and 10mm used to get an open circle o until I sold off the 10mm. All glock 45/10mm holsters were marked with a + on them.

Berettas I would mark with a B in silver sharipe, and when I had a M&P, it was marked "M&P".

It only takes one range trip when you show up with a 9mm and .40 mags and ammo, or one hunting trip where you concealed your 45, and brought a 9/40 safariland holster to OC with at the ranch to figure out a way to not screw that up again.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

jmra

Post by jmra »

C-dub wrote:Isn't that an indication that you have too many guns and holsters and need to sell some off to some of the forum members? :biggrinjester:
I think we a holster swap meet (if a few guns swap hands that would be sweet too).
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

Buy a cheap plastic hanging shoe rack. Put an index card in the window of what it is for.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

C-dub wrote:Isn't that an indication that you have too many guns and holsters and need to sell some off to some of the forum members? :biggrinjester:
Possibly! ;-) I just bought a Sig P226 for the nightstand that might displace the Ruger SR40 (although the SR40 has been 100% reliable and eats anything that it gets fed.

More great ideas guys! Thanks a million! :tiphat:

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

The DM Bullard Dual Carry I just received has my gun model stamped on the back.
NRA Life Member

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Do you have a pencil tip soldering iron or wood burning tool? Brand it! I keep mine in the holsters locked in my safe. Never been a problem of any kind. Even in leather holsters.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Yet another reason I'm glad I'm a 1911 guy. No worries about what holster belongs to which gun :)

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

The Wall wrote:Do you have a pencil tip soldering iron or wood burning tool? Brand it! I keep mine in the holsters locked in my safe. Never been a problem of any kind. Even in leather holsters.
That's a really neat idea?

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”