Stiffening leather

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Stiffening leather

Post by E.Marquez »

Stiffening leather .. kind of, maybe.. re tanning maybe?

What I mean to ask in plain terms is, can you make a leather belt "stiff" again as it was when new, before being worked for 3-6 months , sweated on, worn every day.

I have several moderately priced (high end materials and work, but no frills, colors, stampings, ect) gun belts, that started in the awesome category as far as stiffness and controlling the weight of the gun... but after being worn for 4-6 months are "broken in" like leather tends to get when worked, and now control or "hold" the weight of the gun less better... still good, and better than a 511 belt or most any off the rack gun shop belts you might find.. but not as good as when new.

Can a belt that has been "worked" and softened be made stiff again?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stiffening leather

Post by loktite »

Good question. I'm sure we have someone knowledgeable on the subject.... what about heating and re-waxing the belt?
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have heard of this used on new leather before, but not sure about older leather that has already been dyed and finished. From this link http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.ph ... opic=15565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know of a couple of people around here that make and sell leather masks (2-3 oz leather) that stiffen them by soaking the masks in a mixture of warm water and Elmer's (white) glue - about 1/4 cup or so for 2-3 gallons - before molding. They swear by that instead of commercial leather stiffeners.
They also use just plain water to stiffen leather, but not sure how it will work on older leather

http://www.ask.com/beauty-fashion/stiff ... 71a08f41f8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gemini
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gemini »

A lot of "gun belts" have a kydex or other material sewn between the belt layers
to help stiffen the belt. I think it would be really difficult to re-stiffen a worn out
leather belt. I've worn out a couple of nice gun belts. They got rather flimsy, but,
it took years not 3-6 months to wear them out. And yes, I wore them to work, church,
etc
Personal quirk, and I know no one sees the belt but me (concealed carry etc), if I have on
brown boots I wear a brown belt, black shoes or black boots and it's got to be a black belt.
YMMV. :coolgleamA:

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

gemini wrote:A lot of "gun belts" have a kydex or other material sewn between the belt layers
to help stiffen the belt. I think it would be really difficult to re-stiffen a worn out
leather belt. I've worn out a couple of nice gun belts. They got rather flimsy, but,
it took years not 3-6 months to wear them out.
A: I don't currently own any belts that have a plastic stiffener sewn in.
B: I have 3 belts currently, all from names this group would recognize and consider "quality" so Im not asking about some cheepie belt.
C: I believe my belts last so short of a time is my use.. I am VERY active in my work, often sweat soaking though a pair of jeans and several shirts in a day. That belt is soaked in sweat as well...The area most commonly "softened" first is the portion along my back (where sweat runs in quantity) and then on either side of the holster where the bet rides against the pants/body.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

gemini

Post by gemini »

E.Marquez wrote:
gemini wrote:A lot of "gun belts" have a kydex or other material sewn between the belt layers
B: I have 3 belts currently, all from names this group would recognize and consider "quality" so Im not asking about some cheepie belt.
C: I believe my belts last so short of a time is my use.. I am VERY active in my work, often sweat soaking though a pair of jeans and several shirts in a day. That belt is soaked in sweat as well...The area most commonly "softened" first is the portion along my back (where sweat runs in quantity) and then on either side of the holster where the bet rides against the pants/body.
wow. I wasn't trying to insult you. But...

A. Good for you.
B. Several quality makers use stiffeners. I have several belts from "name" makers this group would recognize too. I consider none of my belts cheepie.
Some belts are layers stitched together, some only leather, some with a stiffner. Some belts are only one piece of leather and the thickness' will vary.
I never referred to any cheap belt.
C. you work in Texas and think you're the only person that sweats or is active on a daily basis? Really?

Good luck in your quest. I'm done here.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

gemini wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
wow. I wasn't trying to insult you. But...

A. Good for you.
B. Several quality makers use stiffeners. I have several belts from "name" makers this group would recognize too. I consider none of my belts cheepie.
Some belts are layers stitched together, some only leather, some with a stiffner. Some belts are only one piece of leather and the thickness' will vary.
I never referred to any cheap belt.
C. you work in Texas and think you're the only person that sweats or is active on a daily basis? Really?

Good luck in your quest. I'm done here.
DING DINGDING, back up the keyboard wreck... :cheers2:

I did not take ANYthing you said as impolite, nor certainly not an insult.. Nor did I attempt to comeback as upset, irritated or anything negative,, If I did I apologize :cheers2:

What I did do is attempt to provide enough info for others to assist. .. No way for you or anyone else to help if you don't know what the issue is and specific piece of equipment / type / is.

SO thank you for your time and assistance so far :tiphat:

gemini

Post by gemini »

Accepted. No problem. Carry on. :seeya:

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Try the drug store..... :coolgleamA:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

DING DINGDING, back up the keyboard wreck...
George Constanza, is that you?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

How is the color? Is it still even with little or no fading? Can you post or send me a picture of it/them? I might be able to advise you.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I know you can soak leather in cool water usually 10-12 minutes. Then dunk in hot water (not quite boiling) for about 60-90 seconds. Then you shape it how you want it, and let it dry. I imagine there are other methods, probably even some better ones. However that is the easiest way to do at your house with no special tools or materials. Now how that would work with a belt that might be stitched and glued /shrug. I just know that's how we did it for bits of stuff we needed with single layer leather. If there is a saddle maker in your area he could certainly tell you.
NRA Benefactor Member

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

E.Marquez wrote:
I don't have much input for stiffening the belts, but I will say, as another H.O.E. (Hard on equipment) guy, stay away from the kydex stiffeners. My Comptac kydex stiffener broke apart into about 20 micro stiffeners within a year.

I just got more belts & rotate them so I can keep at least 1 or 2 in good shape. I started using the web belts for IDPA & 3 gun.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

texasmusic wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
I don't have much input for stiffening the belts, but I will say, as another H.O.E. (Hard on equipment) guy, stay away from the kydex stiffeners. My Comptac kydex stiffener broke apart into about 20 micro stiffeners within a year.

I just got more belts & rotate them so I can keep at least 1 or 2 in good shape. I started using the web belts for IDPA & 3 gun.
Thanks for that...
It looks like it is just a fact of life.. Good belts are not cheap,,, and the thought of replacing them every summer sucks....
But likely the one I bought at beginning of summer will last till next summer.. So that would be one belt a year... Not horrible..but not great.
I'll rotate used worn gun belt to use on the rare days I can't carry but still need a belt...

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”