Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 5

I Need A New EDC Knife

Post by joe817 »

Title says it all. Wellllll....maybe I don't need one, I just want one. :???:

I'm going to get an automatic knife, and have narrowed down the field to 4 different knife makers: Gerber; SOG, H&K(made by Benchmade btw), and Myerco.

I know there are better made knives out there, but I'm on a budget, and the one's I'm looking at are in the $105.00-$139.00 price range. I know what type of blade steel I'd like, but my question is, what kind of blade configuration would benefit me the most?...

Tanto; Spear Point, or Drop Point? Any recommendations there?

And does anyone have any experience with any of the 4 above mentioned knife makers in an auto knife configuration?

Today, I'm leaning toward the Myerco, more specifically a Meyerco Darrel Ralph Military X-Ray 18-3 AUTO:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/MEYXRA ... um-handles

Can't beat the price at $74.95, plus it's received some really good reviews.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I Need A New EDC Knife

Post by WildBill »

I have an H&K OTF Epidemic, which I really like.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the Turmoil. I just like the drop point blade better.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

WildBill wrote:I have an H&K OTF Epidemic, which I really like.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the Turmoil. I just like the drop point blade better.
Oh, if I could only afford the Epidemic! The H&K Entourage is high on my list as well. Thanks for the response WildBill. :tiphat:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

I'm with WildBill. I like the drop point blades better. But!! To each his own. :tiphat:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Since I am left-handed, I found the OTF automatic to be the best option for me. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

To each their own, but I don't like a,combo/ partially serrated blade for edc I just carry a,Buck vantage great price USA made and lifetime warranty. I also carry two Case knives one large stockman and one trapper both CV easy to put an edge on and work for all daily light tasks. As well as an ESEE IZULA neck knife.My next knife will be a fixed blade Benchmark Adamas. D2 steel serrations on the spline lightweight. I may have a different outlook on knives, but I also carry three knives in my GHB an ESEE 5 with a scout carry TEC LOK a DPX HEST and an Ontario SP8. Along with my Leatherman(old) Super Tool 200 I am never without a blade to do whatever I need it to do. I just don't like to be limited to one option. Like guns there is no one size fits all solution. My EDC needs are going to be different than others, but I have used all of the listed knives at different times and have selected them for my primary carry for their utility for the situations I encounter.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

My EDC is a spear point CRKT M16Z.

It's not an automatic, but it opens just as fast as one with the thumb stud, and it handles everyday chores without a hitch.

After about 5 years, I wore my last one out to the point that I sent it back for repairs. CRKT just sent me a brand new one for free.

Can't beat that for only about $34.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

Excaliber wrote:My EDC is a spear point CRKT M16Z.

It's not an automatic, but it opens just as fast as one with the thumb stud, and it handles everyday chores without a hitch.

After about 5 years, I wore my last one out to the point that I sent it back for repairs. CRKT just sent me a brand new one for free.

Can't beat that for only about $34.
Excaliber is right. These CRKTs open as fast (or very nearly as fast) as an automatic.
I carry This One. Unbeatable quality for the price. IMHO.

rentz

Post by rentz »

Unless you just want auto opening as said above there's folders out there that can open as fast.
I've got a benchmade assist open that opens crazy fast you would think its push button open, and has the axis lock I love.

That said, I've had my eye on an otf hk for a bit now and I'd also like to find an auto buck 110 conversion. Ran across a site that has those bucks and was too slow to order and they sold out haven't checked recently but I think they were going for 200

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

IMHO I recommend you understand your typical carry kit and skillset before you choose a knife.

Not to misunderstand, I think EVERYBODY should carry a blade.

I'm an old guy. I grew up in the Philippines and studied Arnis de Mano and Silat from age 12.

I have two carry knives: one a fixed-blade designed expressly for reverse-edge application, and another a high-end Kershaw assisted-opener that can be deployed the same way.

Skillset first, tool second.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Thank you everybody for your input & opinions. I appreciate it! All good comments. :tiphat:

This has helped considerably to eliminate several I was considering, while opening up a few styles that I previously had not considered.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

GlockShooter56

Post by GlockShooter56 »

I carry a Benchmade Auto Presidio, and it is one of the sturdiest knives I've ever owned. I've compared it to the HK Benchmade line, and for me the additional price is well worth the upgrade in quality. http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade- ... -Axis--165
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

GlockShooter56 wrote:I carry a Benchmade Auto Presidio, and it is one of the sturdiest knives I've ever owned. I've compared it to the HK Benchmade line, and for me the additional price is well worth the upgrade in quality. http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade- ... -Axis--165
Good looking knife! Thanks for posting. It appears that it is ambidextrous. Is it?

As I'm left handed like WildBill & SRO1911, I feel my choices are somewhat limited. And if it's ambi, then you have my attention! :tiphat:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

GlockShooter56

Post by GlockShooter56 »

joe817 wrote:
GlockShooter56 wrote:I carry a Benchmade Auto Presidio, and it is one of the sturdiest knives I've ever owned. I've compared it to the HK Benchmade line, and for me the additional price is well worth the upgrade in quality. http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade- ... -Axis--165
Good looking knife! Thanks for posting. It appears that it is ambidextrous. Is it?

As I'm left handed like WildBill & SRO1911, I feel my choices are somewhat limited. And if it's ambi, then you have my attention! :tiphat:
It sure is. Controls are ambi, and clip can be attached to either side depending on preference. I have treated mine like the hard-use tool that it is for years, and it hasn't let me down once. :cheers2:
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”