Bicycle Hoslter: Advise Me?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Pig Renter
Posts in topic: 4

Bicycle Hoslter: Advise Me?

Post by Pig Renter »

I have and will probably always carry concealed. Its my personal preference. With one exception. When I ride my bike.

I usually carry a baby Glock concealed, and sometimes a little Ruger 380 in my pocket holster. But I am thinking a owb holster with my Ruger 380 would be more comfortable for biking.

Does anybody else carry while riding? I would like some advice on what ya'll think would be most practical. Any brand recommendations? Material? Attachment method? Or any other factors I might be overlooking?

Off the top of my head it just seems like having it tight up against my right hip right at the belt would be the most out of the way.

Thanks in advance.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bicycle Hoslter: Advise Me?

Post by LSUTiger »

I carry in my normal IWB, but im thinking of a fanny pack. Im always worried about losing the gun or mag while riding due to the constant motion. Anyway a fanny pack while cycling or jogging doesnt scream gun or geek as bad as a dressing normal with a fanny pack, although it is concealed.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

I agree. I would rather not draw any attention to myself, however if I do than so be it.

That's why I figured that wearing a small 380 right on my beltline would be pretty inconspicuous while riding in the dark with a long un-tucked shirt.

Also, I'm not a hardcore rider. Mostly I will just be accompanying my wife as she jogs after dark in city parks and streets.

Thanks

TexasFlash
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasFlash »

Fobus paddle
I have one of these for my LCP; easy on/off, unobtrusive, and relatively cheap...as long as you're wearing a belt, this might work well for you.
Dave :txflag:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I carry in a DeSantis thumb break scabbard holster, it rides high and tight and I can carry my full size M&P 9 and conceal it with just an untucked shirt.
It is very comfortable whether sitting standing or walking, I haven't ridden a bike in a while but it would probably work well with riding. I have a 1-3/4 inch BDU belt that I wear with shorts that supports it real well.
http://www.desantisholster.com/THUMB-BREAK-SCABBARD

You can find them cheaper at Amazon.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I think it would depend on what kind of pants you want to wear? do you want to wear those tight fitting legging style bike pants? or jeans or whatever?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

SewTexas wrote:I think it would depend on what kind of pants you want to wear? do you want to wear those tight fitting legging style bike pants? or jeans or whatever?

Good point. I would most likely wear those loose fitting cargo type shorts. Like they sell at Academy. Which also brings up another factor. I'd prefer to wear one of those cotton fabric belts with the double D-ring loop buckles. That's normally what I wear with shorts and they're more comfortable and handle sweat better than my leather belts.

So I guess I would also like to know if these belts are suitable to support the holsters ya'll are recommending? But the holster is my priority so I'll wear whatever belt I need to.

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

the holster I mentioned, with the Ruger, weighs almost nothing (compared to the usual pistols we carry). With that in mind, I think the type belt you mentioned would work fine in this case, as long as the belt is "snugged up". Definitely need more belt if you decide to "Glock"
Dave :txflag:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Pig Renter wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I think it would depend on what kind of pants you want to wear? do you want to wear those tight fitting legging style bike pants? or jeans or whatever?

Good point. I would most likely wear those loose fitting cargo type shorts. Like they sell at Academy. Which also brings up another factor. I'd prefer to wear one of those cotton fabric belts with the double D-ring loop buckles. That's normally what I wear with shorts and they're more comfortable and handle sweat better than my leather belts.

So I guess I would also like to know if these belts are suitable to support the holsters ya'll are recommending? But the holster is my priority so I'll wear whatever belt I need to.

This is the BDU belt that I have. http://shop.opticsplanet.com/spec-ops-b ... AuaE8P8HAQ
It is surprisingly sturdy when cinched up and even with my full size M&P it doesn't flex. It's nylon rather than cotton, but it works great in the summer when I want something lighter weight.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

:thumbs2:

Topic author
Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

Thanks everyone.

So far I'm liking the Desantis thumb bread holster that was mentioned. But will hold off for a few days to see if any other good advice might come rollin' in.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

two options come to mind.
You might look at a http://www.smartcarry.com/ it might be a good option, then you wouldn't have to worry about the holster slipping.

Also, my favorite holster for my LCP is a Kusiak Leather. it really doesn't weigh much of anything. You should be able to put it on your shorts with no problem, with whatever belt you normally use.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Bill

Post by Bill »

Fanny Pack Fanny Pack Fanny Pack, I have carried like this for years, it works great. I have my Glock 23 with additional mag, can put lic, credit card, etc...
retired CHL Instructor

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I have been wearing with Glock 26 in an AccuMold® ballistic weave OWB Belt Slide Holster with Thumb Snap in Cargo Shorts & covered by a Tee-Shirt at about 3:00 (holster is a bit expensive here, but you may find cheaper if you shop) It isnt' too bad, except the price the loops that go around the belt are pretty tight, but they work. I agree with one reviewer:
I was intending to use the snaps to attach to my belt without having to undo my belt etc, but appears I'm going to have to half remove my belt to attach the holster, so defeats the POU.

Still, pretty good holster I just leave it on the belt in the cargo shorts I use for riding.
http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... xt&start=1

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”