Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
MrMcCullster
Posts in topic: 2

Highway Holster Review

Post by MrMcCullster »

Hey there,

I'm relatively new to the board here (I signed up to post in the Waiting Room thread), but figured I'd post here because I've seen a few threads about open carrying in the car, IWB in the car while driving, car storage solutions, car vaults etc. and this solution might help a few people.

I have an IWB holster coming and was looking for something to use in the car. Something that I could take my carry piece out of it's holster and put into a car holster to ride more comfortably. Most of the stuff I saw was under the steering wheel mounted, strap in the seat hanging inbetween legs, locked in a safe, under the floorboard, in the trunk, and wasn't really accessible if needed in a pinch.

I just recently found and bought a Highway Holster and got it in the mail the other day - http://www.highwayholster.com and installed it into my car.

$40.00 - $44.00 - car mount
$17.99 - holster
$6.50 flat rate shipping

Initial impressions of the holster system are good, with a few minor gripes I'll go over later.

First, the Highway Holster is a mounting system that goes in-between two car seats (like bench seats in larger trucks and SUV's), in-between the driver's seat and center console, or in-between the passenger's seat and the center console. It is just the mounting system for an inch and a half clip'd holster to attach to, but you can also buy nylon holsters from them or use your own holster if you have a belt clip holster already (I didn't).

The thing I like about this is the mounting position and the fact that there is no drilling into trim panels, weird straps in your seat, or awkward fumbling under your steering wheel. There is no permanent modification to your car/truck (minus removing sticky velcro residue with Goo Be Gone that attached to your seat belt receiver if you remove the mount).

Installation instructions:
1. Attach velcro piece to your seat belt receiver (you'll order which side mount you want to get (passenger or driver))
2. Adjust length of bar to go in-between seat (it's adjustable - they have longer mounts for bigger seats)
3. Velcro both straps of mounting bar to seat belt receiver
4. Adjust desired height of holster to your preference
5. Attach support leg and trim off excess leg material
6. Bungie cord support leg to the base of the seat
7. Attach holster clip to mount and enjoy

It took me a little while to install the support leg and get it secured. Trying to look under the seat to find a spot for the bungie cord was a little tricky (or where it would wrap around). I was able to secure it and with my power front seats the mount moves and follows the seat without issue (the seat also goes up and down).

It mounts and conceals really well next to my right leg, and retention seems to be working better as I drew from it a few times (new holsters breaking in and all). The first couple of times the holster and bar came up and it was hard to draw. This is where I re-did the bungie setup underneath.

It's low inside the car and I have a black interior as well, so it is hard to see if you are just walking by my car and don't know what to look for. I definitely see myself using this. My work doesn't allow me to carry inside the building, so I'll probably be taking off the holster and clip and putting my setup in the driver's side door area. Same thing as with the mount, the door is black, nylon holster is black, gun is black. Hard to see, yada yada yada.

Couple of gripes:
- Kinda regretting getting the nylon holsters. They are alright, but I could have found something better to suit my needs elsewhere. They are reversible so you can have the clip on either side, but since they do that the metal clip going into the nylon is loose and the holster flops around a little bit because there is some play. The weight of the gun does help with this and it's even better when the gun is slightly compressed between the seat and console.
- The sizing chart for holsters is not great. They have about 10-15 sizes of holsters on their websites, and list them and categorize them in weird ways. There's not really any sort of rhyme or reason. I had to go look up a few guns and see pictures and dimensions to see if my guns were the same. This could definitely use some updating.
- Holster installation video is pretty much a joke. Imagine if your buddy started selling holsters and shot his video to go on his website with his phone vertically (with black bars on the side) and didn't really show you anything about putting the holster on. That's this video. Luckily, the printed instructions are pretty good and I got the overall jist of what needed to be done. Kinda hoping a YouTuber reviews this thing and does a proper video on how to install it.

Overall, I think this thing is great and just wanted to pass the word along as I didn't see anything on here about it in past threads. They are Made in the USA and a Veteran Owned business if you are into that. Just check 'em out. The more I see in the news and see people trying to get money from people just sitting at drive-thrus, the more I want to be prepared.

RogueUSMC

Re: Highway Holster Review

Post by RogueUSMC »

I like it but does it satisfy requirements as to being out of casual view?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Oh...welcome to the forum by the way. I intended to say that in the first post...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

RogueUSMC wrote:I like it but does it satisfy requirements as to being out of casual view?
Thanks RogueUSMC for the welcome.

Let me be clear. It does conceal it for my car and situation. I drive a car with a large and tall center console (2016 Ford Fusion) and I'm kind of a big guy (6 foot 3, 230 lbs).

My right knee is slightly bent while driving and prevents an officer or someone talking to me at my driver's window to see the holster at all, and the holster is about flush with the top of the seat cushion (with the gun butt extending up a few inches further). The center console is taller than the gun and prevents it from being seen from the passenger side.

It works for my situation, but for some in a bench seat like a truck or something needing concealment for both the driver and the passenger side, it could be an issue.

I'll take some pictures of it installed when I get home and post those

Took a few pics of the setup. Even took one from outside looking in for a POV shot. (window was down). You can see that even while sitting in the seat your leg can go over the gun butt to conceal it. Just have to worry about the passenger view (not an issue with my center console).

Obviously don't feel comfortable with leaving it in the car, but driving around town? Absolutely.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

RogueUSMC wrote:I like it but does it satisfy requirements as to being out of casual view?
In my LTC class I asked the instructor (former LEO) to clarify how concealed the weapon must be.

He said that it must not be visible to LEO if you are out of the vehicle and all doors are open to display the interior.

But, he said if there's a towel over it, it's concealed.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”