Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Modifying a Fobus paddle

Post by KBCraig »

I recently picked up a Fobus paddle for my Ruger P97, for occasions where it might be handier (or more discreet) to remove both gun and holster, instead of leaving an empty holster on my belt. (Parent-teacher conferences, etc.)

First impression: it's not for those who go commando. Even with a t-shirt, that stiff plastic manages to find bare skin all too easily. Solution: wear drawers. :(

Second impression: it's fine when standing, but when sitting, the forward edge of the paddle would really bite into my thigh, or the outside of my hip. If worn further back than 3:00, the curvature no longer matches, creating another comfort problem.

So, I took a pair of kitchen shears (tin snips would also work) and modified the profile of the front edge. Starting at the bottom center of the paddle, I cut a smooth curve that took about 1/4 inch off the widest part of the paddle, and tapered it up to re-join the factory curve near the top.

I faired the new curve with a file, sanded it smooth, and tried it out for a day. MUCH better!

Next, I may try gluing some leather or thin neoprene to the "skin" side of the paddle. If that works, I'll be able to go forth as God intended Scotsmen to be dressed. :D

Kevin

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I have several Fobus holsters and magazine carriers that I have "bobbed" the paddle. I used tin snips to remove offending material. Makes the holster much more comfortable when sitting.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I use a Dremel tool on mine.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”