Joe Straus

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

thechl
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Joe Straus

Post by thechl »

Of course, absolute statements are always wrong.
;-)

victory

Post by victory »

Democrats passed the CHL law in Texas. Any of those Texans would be an improvement over Comrade Joe.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

thechl wrote:Of course, absolute statements are always wrong.
;-)
20 years ago, I would have agreed with you. I'll stand by my absolute statement today. 20 years in the future, it could be wrong again. But right here and now, it is spot on.

I've been a democrat. I've been a republican. I am neither now. But if I had to let the country "fall into the hands" of one or the other party, I'd go with the republicans.......even though I don't have a lot of respect for the party's leadership. But I have ZERO respect for democrat politicians........who are universally dirty liars.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 9

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
thechl wrote:Of course, absolute statements are always wrong.
;-)
20 years ago, I would have agreed with you. I'll stand by my absolute statement today. 20 years in the future, it could be wrong again. But right here and now, it is spot on.

I've been a democrat. I've been a republican. I am neither now. But if I had to let the country "fall into the hands" of one or the other party, I'd go with the republicans.......even though I don't have a lot of respect for the party's leadership. But I have ZERO respect for democrat politicians........who are universally dirty liars.
One thing the GOP has going for them is the lame stream media actually reports what they do and keeps them somewhat honest, at least in a leftist sort of way.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

JaredW
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JaredW »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickglea ... -of-texas/

Should we begin contacting our state legislators and letting them know we do NOT want Joe Straus as the Speaker?
JaredW

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 10

Post by RoyGBiv »

JaredW wrote:Should we begin contacting our state legislators and letting them know we do NOT want Joe Straus as the Speaker?
If you haven't already, you're way behind. Get going son!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 9

Post by anygunanywhere »

Contacted Lois Kolkhorst District 13 and expressed my concerns on Strauss as well as other issues just now.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mojo84
Posts in topic: 24

Post by mojo84 »

Scott Turner from Frisco is a good alternative to Straus. However, it will be an uphill battle to get our reps to vote for him since Straus' and his cronies have their bluff in. It is utterly shameful a rino like Straus can maintain control like he has.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Wolverine
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wolverine »

mojo84 wrote:Scott Turner from Frisco is a good alternative to Straus. However, it will be an uphill battle to get our reps to vote for him since Straus' and his cronies have their bluff in. It is utterly shameful a rino like Straus can maintain control like he has.
He's a shoo-in because all the Democrats will vote for him, including the ones with (R) after their names.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

RoyGBiv wrote:
JaredW wrote:Should we begin contacting our state legislators and letting them know we do NOT want Joe Straus as the Speaker?
If you haven't already, you're way behind. Get going son!
Rep. Harless, District 126 has certainly heard from me on ABS: Anyone but Straus.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Very disappointed to see my rep Capriglionne supporting Straus. I wrote him yesterday that we fired Vicki Truitt for doing that. No reply
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Bladed
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Bladed »

Is it better for an elected official to take a quixotic stand that renders him or her legislatively impotent or to accept the reality of the situation and search for ways to work within the circumstances that exists?

Because Joe Straus (presumably) has the support of all 52 Democrats, he needs the support of just 24 Republicans to win reelection to the Speaker's seat. Any Republican who challenges him will need the support of 76 Republicans. The math simply doesn't support making an issue of ousting Straus. Any House member who forces the issue will only succeed in cheating his or her constituents out of having a Representative who can pass bills and impact key committee decisions. Deeply conservative Republicans like Giovanni Capriglione are wise to focus on working with the Speaker they have.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I understand that. I haven't give up on him
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 1

Post by locke_n_load »

Bladed wrote:Is it better for an elected official to take a quixotic stand that renders him or her legislatively impotent or to accept the reality of the situation and search for ways to work within the circumstances that exists?

Because Joe Straus (presumably) has the support of all 52 Democrats, he needs the support of just 24 Republicans to win reelection to the Speaker's seat. Any Republican who challenges him will need the support of 76 Republicans. The math simply doesn't support making an issue of ousting Straus. Any House member who forces the issue will only succeed in cheating his or her constituents out of having a Representative who can pass bills and impact key committee decisions. Deeply conservative Republicans like Giovanni Capriglione are wise to focus on working with the Speaker they have.
So there are 150 members in the Texas house, 52 are democrats and 98 are republican. Couldn't we just get mainstream support on one republican candidate and boom! Done! Right? If the dems can rally behind one candidate, why can't the republicans?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

mojo84
Posts in topic: 24

Post by mojo84 »

Just received this via email.
Raney
Leading the House to a Greater Good

As a member of the Texas House of Representatives, I am often approached with questions on a wide variety of issues affecting our state. A recurring topic is leadership-specifically, Speaker Joe Straus and my opinion of his leadership in the Texas Legislature.

Since taking the oath of office on December 23, 2011, I have learned the keys to success in the Texas Legislature. Above all, an elected official must be capable of building relationships and earning trust in order to effectively represent his or her district. Though challenging at times, these interpersonal skills are the grease that keeps the wheels of the Texas Legislature spinning.

Speaker Straus demonstrates the qualities of an effective representative and proven leader. He has earned the trust of his colleagues in the Texas Legislature, and has led on the serious issues facing our growing state. Moreover, Speaker Straus approaches the challenges of our state with level-headed reason, remains true to his word, and illustrates a deep and admirable faith. I believe that the Speaker and his wife, Julie, care deeply about the economic prosperity of our state and the health and well-being of its citizens.

Under the leadership of Speaker Straus, the Texas Legislature made significant investments in transportation, natural resources, and community health. Since it is estimated that over 1,200 people move to Texas each day, the following investments were critical to keep Texas competitive and ensure our continued growth:

Passage of Proposition 6 to secure a reliable source of water for our children and grandchildren.
Passage of Proposition 1, which is on the ballot this November and will invest in transportation infrastructure.
Increased funding for health and human services programs, including mental health and women’s health.
Additional funding for the Texas Department of Public Safety and Texas Parks and Wildlife to improve border security and fight illegal immigration.
Additional $3.6 billion in public education funding and reducing the burden of excessive testing in public schools.

As Texas continues to grow, I will support Speaker Straus and his dedication to our conservative principles. During his tenure, the Texas Legislature balanced the budget, improved government efficiency and transparency, passed Voter ID, protected Second Amendment rights, prioritized higher education in the state budget, and made significant public education reforms. I believe that Speaker Straus is an experienced leader who stands up to special interests and respects the members’ commitment to their communities and the success of our great state. For all these reasons and many more, I will support Joe Straus for Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives in the 84th Legislative Session.

John Raney

State Representative, District 14

Pol. Ad Paid for By the John Raney Campaign

PO Box 11461
Austin, Texas 77842
United States
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”