SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Overthehill
Posts in topic: 6

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by Overthehill »

Just one question. If Federal law already prohibits stopping just to inquire for a liscense and both amendments simply restate federal law then why, except to kill open carry, did some in the law enforcement community raise such a stink and why did the representatives roll over and vote not to concur. If law enforcement is truly prohibited from committing an act why was reinforcement of that prohibition an issue of such import? Or is the federal prohibition not factual? Simply seeking greater knowledge.

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 10

Post by CoffeeNut »

I sent a nicer email to my Rep who voted no for concurrence even though they voted yes on the original bill with similar language.
I saw that you voted "no" for concurrence with the Senate amendment even though you voted in favor of the original House bill which had similar language.

This amendment to the bill should not kill the bill due to the fact that the amendment is simply reiterating what is already law. As it is now a police officer cannot demand ID from a person who is doing nothing wrong. This amendment was more to quash concerns of citizens who, rightfully, fear an aggressive police response to lawful open carry. If you do not believe me I would kindly direct you to Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo's comments before the Legislature.

While I understand the concerns of law enforcement weigh heavily on the legislature I would appreciate if feelings are left out of lawmaking and the facts of open carry are relied upon instead. I ask that you do everything in your power to keep this bill alive, and even if the conference committee cannot work out the differences I ask that you vote for concurrence on HB910 even with the Dutton/Huffines amendment.

Thank you for your time and your continuted support of Second Amendment rights.

Sincerely,
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baldeagle »

Overthehill wrote:Just one question. If Federal law already prohibits stopping just to inquire for a liscense and both amendments simply restate federal law then why, except to kill open carry, did some in the law enforcement community raise such a stink and why did the representatives roll over and vote not to concur. If law enforcement is truly prohibited from committing an act why was reinforcement of that prohibition an issue of such import? Or is the federal prohibition not factual? Simply seeking greater knowledge.
You answered your own question. "to kill open carry"
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

FormerTSgt
Posts in topic: 5

Post by FormerTSgt »

baldeagle wrote:
Overthehill wrote:Just one question. If Federal law already prohibits stopping just to inquire for a liscense and both amendments simply restate federal law then why, except to kill open carry, did some in the law enforcement community raise such a stink and why did the representatives roll over and vote not to concur. If law enforcement is truly prohibited from committing an act why was reinforcement of that prohibition an issue of such import? Or is the federal prohibition not factual? Simply seeking greater knowledge.
You answered your own question. "to kill open carry"
Exactly.
Former TSgt USAF Security Forces
Iraq Vet

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 78

Post by Jasonw560 »

Sen. Whitmire, in his dressing down of Sen. Huffines, mentioned that Philedelphia had different laws regarding open carry than the rest of PA. What he (naturally) forgot to mention is the higher crime rate: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/philadelphia/crime/

It's things like this that our side needs to be more versed on, and call out the other side for getting out ALL the facts.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Robert91RS
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Robert91RS »

Jasonw560 wrote:Sen. Whitmire, in his dressing down of Sen. Huffines, mentioned that Philedelphia had different laws regarding open carry than the rest of PA. What he (naturally) forgot to mention is the higher crime rate: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/philadelphia/crime/

It's things like this that our side needs to be more versed on, and call out the other side for getting out ALL the facts.
The lack of intelligent & factual response was certainly one of the most frustrating parts of watching the debates. The folks opposed to the bill made some of the most ridiculous and outright false assertions and the best response most of our reps could muster was, "no, that's not what this bill says". NOBODY truly believed these amendments made open carriers unapproachable, but the dems won't stop saying it.

When do we learn more? The house conferees have been appointed, are we waiting on senate conferees or just a free room to meet in?

Callaway
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Callaway »

Texas GOP ‏@TexasGOP 26m26 minutes ago
#txlege Republicans are close to increasing border security funding, passing historic tax cuts and expanding #2A rights!

Slap in the face or poorly scheduled tweet.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by ScooterSissy »

C-dub wrote:On the off chance that campus carry does pass and a school does make any of their buildings off limits, how will anyone know a particular building is off limits? Will they have to also post 30.06 sign(s)?
That's what was discussed. They would have to post.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

Callaway wrote:Texas GOP ‏@TexasGOP 26m26 minutes ago
#txlege Republicans are close to increasing border security funding, passing historic tax cuts and expanding #2A rights!

Slap in the face or poorly scheduled tweet.
I like the term restoring rights rather than expanding rights ... just more historically accurate from the proper world view/perspective/mindset
Last edited by NotRPB on Thu May 28, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by ScooterSissy »

Federal law isn't explicit, but a district court ruled that it's prohibited. My best guess is that some in LE would prefer it still be a somewhat gray area open to interpretation (and other rulings), rather than codified in Texas law.

I wish those supporting that type of stop and search would say it outright - that a policeman observing someone can simply on a hunch, stop and ask them for their papers. Supporters won't say that, for obvious reason; so instead they cloak it in "police need to be able to do their jobs".

Apparently, some lawmakers (and law officers) have a different interpretation than I of what that job is.

Robert91RS

Post by Robert91RS »

Senate has just appointed conferees to the 910 committee

And SB 11 has been sent to committee too

JollyHappyDad

Post by JollyHappyDad »

Where do I find the list of committee members?

EDIT: Check that, I found it.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 52

Post by mr1337 »

JollyHappyDad wrote:Where do I find the list of committee members?

EDIT: Check that, I found it.
For anyone else interested:

HB910

House Conferees: Appointed (05/27/2015) Phillips (Chair) | Burns | Geren | King, Phil | Nevárez
Senate Conferees: Appointed (05/28/2015) Estes (Chair) | Eltife | Huffines | Huffman | Uresti

SB11

Senate Conferees: Appointed (05/28/2015) Birdwell (Chair) | Burton | Hinojosa | Huffman | Schwertner

From the legis webiste

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... &Bill=SB11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Stripes Dude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Stripes Dude »

Anyone know when the committees are meeting?

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

Stripes Dude wrote:Anyone know when the committees are meeting?
Better be today..........
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”