Joe Straus

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 10

Joe Straus

Post by RoyGBiv »

Is there a plan for unseating Straus from the Speakers chair?
How can I help?

What, if any, sway would a Governor Abbott (assuming, I know) have over a reappointed Speaker Straus?

It would be a shame to see HB3218 (revived) languish in committee again without a vote. :banghead:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Bladed
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Joe Straus

Post by Bladed »

The problem is that, as long as the Democrats vote in unison, it takes very few Republican votes to elect the Speaker. Basically, an alternative candidate would need to have near-unanimous support among Republicans. Because only a few Republicans voting for Straus will be enough to get him reelected, and because voting against the Speaker is a surefire way for a Representative to get lousy committee assignments and be unable to get anything but local and consent bills out of committee, Republicans are understandably hesitant to vote for anyone else.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Bladed wrote:The problem is that, as long as the Democrats vote in unison, it takes very few Republican votes to elect the Speaker. Basically, an alternative candidate would need to have near-unanimous support among Republicans. Because only a few Republicans voting for Straus will be enough to get him reelected, and because voting against the Speaker is a surefire way for a Representative to get lousy committee assignments and be unable to get anything but local and consent bills out of committee, Republicans are understandably hesitant to vote for anyone else.
I understand the obstacles, what about adapt and overcome?
If there's a plan and I can do something to help it, I'm in!

Hindenburg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hindenburg »

Our best chance was in the primary elections to oust the Dems and Dem-Lites that support their comrade Joe.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Bladed wrote:The problem is that, as long as the Democrats vote in unison, it takes very few Republican votes to elect the Speaker. Basically, an alternative candidate would need to have near-unanimous support among Republicans. Because only a few Republicans voting for Straus will be enough to get him reelected, and because voting against the Speaker is a surefire way for a Representative to get lousy committee assignments and be unable to get anything but local and consent bills out of committee, Republicans are understandably hesitant to vote for anyone else.
I understand the obstacles, what about adapt and overcome?
If there's a plan and I can do something to help it, I'm in!
If you're looking for a petition to sign or a fund to donate to, you're not going to find it. Because of the way the Speaker is elected, this is largely an internal issue over which the public can have little influence.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Bladed wrote:If you're looking for a petition to sign or a fund to donate to, you're not going to find it. Because of the way the Speaker is elected, this is largely an internal issue over which the public can have little influence.
Emphasis mine....

Is this true? is our only course to lay down and roll over and let the politics play out? I find that hard to believe.
Somebody smarter than me has a plan.... I just want to know what role I can play. Pretty please..!!

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KD5NRH »

RoyGBiv wrote:Is this true? is our only course to lay down and roll over and let the politics play out? I find that hard to believe.
Somebody smarter than me has a plan.... I just want to know what role I can play. Pretty please..!!
Can't be Speaker of the House if you're voted out of the House. Get a good opponent and cut him off at the voting booth.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

KD5NRH wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Is this true? is our only course to lay down and roll over and let the politics play out? I find that hard to believe.
Can't be Speaker of the House if you're voted out of the House. Get a good opponent and cut him off at the voting booth.
Straus is pretty firmly entrenched in his district. Considering that the Speaker has a strong say in how district lines are drawn and that only a deeply ideological constituent would vote to give up the state's most powerful Representative in exchange for a cloutless freshman, unseating him is a long shot at best. Of course, if unseating him is your strategy, that's a strategy for the 2017 session; it doesn't change anything for 2015.

Eventually, Straus will lose favor with enough Representatives to create an opening for someone else to win the Speaker's seat, or the balance of power in the House will shift significantly enough to create an opening for someone else to win the Speaker's seat, or Straus will move on to do something else with his life, or he'll grow old and die. One way or another, he won't be the Speaker of the Texas House forever.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Bladed wrote:If you're looking for a petition to sign or a fund to donate to, you're not going to find it. Because of the way the Speaker is elected, this is largely an internal issue over which the public can have little influence.
Emphasis mine....

Is this true? is our only course to lay down and roll over and let the politics play out? I find that hard to believe.
We may not have a viable means of preventing Straus from being reelected as Speaker, but we can try to influence how he presides over the House. That may not be the answer you're looking for, but it's not rolling over.

victory
Posts in topic: 2

Post by victory »

If they like Straus, they are going to love Governor Davis!

booze97
Posts in topic: 1

Post by booze97 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Is there a plan for unseating Straus from the Speakers chair?
How can I help?

What, if any, sway would a Governor Abbott (assuming, I know) have over a reappointed Speaker Straus?

It would be a shame to see HB3218 (revived) languish in committee again without a vote. :banghead:
Hopefully after this, folks will be awakened to just how much we need HB3218.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

HB3218 did not fix the 51% problem. It didn't touch bars with a ten foot pole.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jumping Frog wrote:
HB3218 did not fix the 51% problem. It didn't touch bars with a ten foot pole.
You should read it again....
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 03218I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The entirety of 46.035(b)(1) would have been deleted.

thechl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thechl »

As I headed out to vote today it occurred to me that the way to defeat Strauss as Speaker is to not have him re-elected into the House. It pains me to vote for a Democrat, but in this case it might be the only way to 'win.' San Antonio is lost to Democrats already; and even if Strauss loses to a Democrat the Republicans will still hold the House by a large majority!

So, if you're in his distrct and plan to vote...

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

thechl wrote:As I headed out to vote today it occurred to me that the way to defeat Strauss as Speaker is to not have him re-elected into the House. It pains me to vote for a Democrat, but in this case it might be the only way to 'win.' San Antonio is lost to Democrats already; and even if Strauss loses to a Democrat the Republicans will still hold the House by a large majority!

So, if you're in his distrct and plan to vote...
As bad as Strauss is, there is never anything to be gained by giving a seat to a democrat.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”