How can I speak to the Texas Legislature?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguy
Posts in topic: 2

How can I speak to the Texas Legislature?

Post by thatguy »

I feel strongly about removing as many restrictions for CHL holders and support HB308. How would I go about speaking to the Texas Legislature? Do I sign up or just show up? Can I carry my gun into the House and Senate?
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Beiruty

Re: How can I speak to the Texas Legislature?

Post by Beiruty »

I think when the committee is voting on the draft bill you would have a chance to address the committee. I am not sure about the full chamber.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As Beiruty stated, the only chance to speak is during the public hearings in committee. The key is to keep the number of witnesses to an absolute minimum. By the time the hearing comes around, we know where we stand. If the bill is going to be voted favorably from committee, we keep the witness count as low as we can. One or two witnesses is about all they want to hear. However, there are always some folks attending who feel compelled to lecture Senators and Representatives on the U.S. and Texas Constitutions, usually in a very condescending tone. They don't care that they are hurting the cause, they just want to hear themselves talk.

A call-to-action will go out when HB308 goes to committee. A good response will help the bill get an earlier hearing and this is critical to passage. I plan to do something special for HB308, including labeling it as the most important gun bill this session. I'm on my own on this point as neither the NRA or TSRA will take that position. When the Bill is scheduled for a public hearing, another call-to-action will go out asking for phone calls and faxes, as well as attendance at the hearing. It's possible to go to the hearing and "sign-in" in favor of the bill and not wishing to speak.

Chas.

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Are committee meetings or the full Legislature ever posted?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Committee meetings are posted and I believe the link is http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Committees ... ?Chamber=H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It currently shows no meetings scheduled but does have a link to register to speak at a meeting.
Steve Rothstein

b322da

Post by b322da »

As usual, and as can be expected, Charles made some very clear, understandable, and appropriate comments above. I categorize these few words as his most important ones, and I hope they are not overlooked by the readers here:

...there are always some folks attending who feel compelled to lecture Senators and Representatives on the U.S. and Texas Constitutions, usually in a very condescending tone. They don't care that they are hurting the cause, they just want to hear themselves talk.

Charles has a handle on this, works behind the scene, and the best we can do is follow his lead and not get in front of him. If he feels he needs help you may be assured he will let us know.

Jim

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Or, one can write to all Texas state's reps and senators conveying his stand on the issue.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Last session I made many phone calls to legislatures (secretary's) on this same bill but felt the calls were ineffective. While I'm typically not afraid to talk to a group of people grandstanding is not my motive; I'm simply looking for a more effective way to participate. I'll be looking for your updates Charles. Thank you and stay safe. :txflag:
Last edited by thatguy on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

b322da wrote:As usual, and as can be expected, Charles made some very clear, understandable, and appropriate comments above. I categorize these few words as his most important ones, and I hope they are not overlooked by the readers here:

...there are always some folks attending who feel compelled to lecture Senators and Representatives on the U.S. and Texas Constitutions, usually in a very condescending tone. They don't care that they are hurting the cause, they just want to hear themselves talk.

Charles has a handle on this, works behind the scene, and the best we can do is follow his lead and not get in front of him. If he feels he needs help you may be assured he will let us know.

Jim
While I agree that it does not make a good impression to lecture our representatives, I also feel that there are many that need to be lectured, or at least re-educated, and more than a few who are flat out too dumb to understand. These are elected legislators, elected by their constituency, and not vetted and hired for their legislative acumen, such as the person who said, in front of the US House of Representatives on April 9, 2013: “Don’t condemn the gangbangers, they’ve got guns that are trafficked, that are not enforced, that are straw purchased and they come into places even that have strong gun laws. Why? Because we don’t have sensible gun legislation.”
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

jimlongley wrote: While I agree that it does not make a good impression to lecture our representatives, I also feel that there are many that need to be lectured, or at least re-educated, and more than a few who are flat out too dumb to understand. These are elected legislators, elected by their constituency, and not vetted and hired for their legislative acumen, such as the person who said, in front of the US House of Representatives on April 9, 2013: “Don’t condemn the gangbangers, they’ve got guns that are trafficked, that are not enforced, that are straw purchased and they come into places even that have strong gun laws. Why? Because we don’t have sensible gun legislation.”
Which specific legislator made those comments?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

LDB415 wrote:
jimlongley wrote: While I agree that it does not make a good impression to lecture our representatives, I also feel that there are many that need to be lectured, or at least re-educated, and more than a few who are flat out too dumb to understand. These are elected legislators, elected by their constituency, and not vetted and hired for their legislative acumen, such as the person who said, in front of the US House of Representatives on April 9, 2013: “Don’t condemn the gangbangers, they’ve got guns that are trafficked, that are not enforced, that are straw purchased and they come into places even that have strong gun laws. Why? Because we don’t have sensible gun legislation.”
Which specific legislator made those comments?
The African Queen (just ask her) Sheila Jackson Lee.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

No surprise although there are certainly any number of suspects who could be guilty of the same thing.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”