Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16589
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:33 pm

WTR wrote:Personally, I carry in condition 1. However, if you will Google "Israeli Carry", you will find that with proper training with draw and shoot methods candion 3 carry can be quite effective.

The "Israeli Method" involves using two hands and it presumes you have time to execute the drill before taking fire. I'm not sure how "effective" it is in combat v. practice on the range.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16589
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:43 pm

NNT wrote:After reading some of the comments, and the title again, I think I get the point, but I don't agree with the all or none statement. I think the point is if you are not comfortable carrying in ready condition, maybe you are not practiced or confident enough to carry at all? And it is less about survival.

If you REALLY want to be ready for the BG, you should carry it in your hand at all times, not a holster, because that second or two to draw it could be the difference in surviving or not. Or maybe you can't get to it easily because you are sitting, or, or, ... :headscratch There is always a compromise made somewhere between perfect safety and practicality.

We teach our kids in life you often have to choose between good, better, and best, not between good and bad. So if you don't carry in 'best', then good and better are no good?

I carry a DAO with a long pull specifically to avoid a light trigger as mentioned above. It is what I am comfortable with.

My point was and is simply that one shouldn't carry a semi-automatic if they are lack the skill and confidence to carry a round in the chamber. I never said don't carry a gun; carry a revolver.

I wholeheartedly agree that we make compromises in many aspects of self-defense weapons. Rifles are far more efficient at stopping a threat, but we don't carry them for social and practical reasons. It would be slightly faster to deploy a self-defense handgun if we carried it in our hand, but that's illegal, impractical and anti-social. Comparing a gun-in-the-hand to a loaded chamber is not a realistic comparison.

I agree with folks who state that a DAO or even DA/SA semi-auto is operationally the same as a revolver for folks who fear carrying a round in the chamber. I doubt those folks would agree.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16589
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:50 pm

carlson1 wrote:"A stupid man learns from his own mistakes while a wise man learns from the mistakes of others." While there is always trade offs like a cover garment, sitting, seat belts, etc. . . there is no reason to add not having a chambered round. You will no doubt get hurt when you draw an unloaded pistol (unchambered) so it would be best if you don't carry with one in the chamber to not draw the pistol when trouble comes or as has been echoed throughout this thread just simple carry a revolver. There is no shame with a revolver and it sure doesn't make you a second class citizen. :thumbs2:


This is an excellent video. I disagree with the moderator's comment that most of the time there is sufficient time to charge the gun, at least for outside the home confrontations.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

Postby ScottDLS » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I agree with Charles.

And it may be apocryphal, but I've been told that IDF uses the "condition 3" method because they don't trust minimally trained draftees to safely operate semi-auto handguns. Which kind of begs the question of why they arm them with such. :shock:

Additionally there are different reasons for carrying firearms for a soldier and a citizen who is outside a war zone.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


WTR
Senior Member
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

Postby WTR » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:24 pm

ScottDLS wrote:I agree with Charles.

And it may be apocryphal, but I've been told that IDF uses the "condition 3" method because they don't trust minimally trained draftees to safely operate semi-auto handguns. Which kind of begs the question of why they arm them with such. :shock:

Additionally there are different reasons for carrying firearms for a soldier and a citizen who is outside a war zone.


From my readings, Condition 3 is also the carry method of the majority of the worls's Police Departments.....War Zone?

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

Postby ScottDLS » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 pm

WTR wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:I agree with Charles.

And it may be apocryphal, but I've been told that IDF uses the "condition 3" method because they don't trust minimally trained draftees to safely operate semi-auto handguns. Which kind of begs the question of why they arm them with such. :shock:

Additionally there are different reasons for carrying firearms for a soldier and a citizen who is outside a war zone.


From my readings, Condition 3 is also the carry method of the majority of the worls's Police Departments.....War Zone?


Then most of the worlds police departments are stupid, or don't care to have rapid access to their sidearms. Really why not carry a revolver with two empty chambers. Makes about as much sense as carrying a semi-auto with an empty chamber. Soldiers on the other hand presumably have some warning when they are about to go into combat or a combat zone, at which time I understand they usually charge their weapons.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Put one in the chamber, or don't carry it!

Postby Mxrdad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:39 pm

treadlightly wrote:Also, an empty chamber makes no difference in how a gun is handled. There should be no assumption of increased safety.


:iagree: My thoughts exactly.
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.


Return to “Self-Defense Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests