ID: Video of Invader breaking down door

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

ID: Video of Invader breaking down door

Post by ELB »

The video is a bit graphic, but not in the way you usually expect. In fact, the video goes black just after the invader is shot and apparently falls on the camera. But the sound keeps recording. Both invader (he lived) and defender are...upset. Be prepared. (No bad language that I can hear, tho.)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 4:21

Cvengros had a camera rolling to document the commotion after seeing glass flying from the upstairs apartment onto the cars parked below. He said once he heard unusually concerning noises coming from the apartment upstairs, he started documenting the commotion using his digital camera, not realizing that camera would soon serve as a witness to what was about to take place in his apartment.

The video was played during Thursday's sentencing, and in it, Thomas kicks in the door
[while carrying a machete], and both Gearhart and Cvengros yell at Thomas to leave, warning him he needs to get out. After Thomas was shot, Cvengros tells Thomas he already called the police, and Thomas confirmed he was trying to kill Cvengros.

Cvengros' action was ruled as self-defense.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/thomas-r ... l/30737472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At 3:56:

"You killed me..."
"What? you where gonna kill me!"
"Yeah your right I was..."
"Well then I did the right thing"
"You did"

Nice to have your attacker validate your self-defense justification.
USAF 1982-2005

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ID: Video of Invader breaking down door

Post by Abraham »

The door appears to be made of cardboard. Heck, he didn't a machete, he could of punched his way through it.

If you live in an apartment, check your door for strength. (If have a door like the one in the video, the only good it does is to keep sunlight out...)

If found wanting, it may behoove you to spend your own money to replace it with a much stronger replacement.

Jim Longley, here on the forum, would probably know which door is a better replacement.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

Sounds like they knew each other, I think the door was an inside door.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

I really thought Jack Nicholson was going to poke his head through the door and yell "Heeeeeres Johnny!"
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

esxmarkc wrote:I really thought Jack Nicholson was going to poke his head through the door and yell "Heeeeeres Johnny!"
"rlol"
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Abraham wrote:The door appears to be made of cardboard. Heck, he didn't a machete, he could of punched his way through it.
I don't think he used the machete on the door, just his foot.

I looked up that address on google maps streetview. It appears to be a house converted to apartments. Looks like they used interior hollow core doors for each apartment.

The guy who broke in was a neighbor, not sure if in same building or another one in the neighborhood.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I thought I heard a woman screaming when the shooter opened the door, then closed and locked it. :headscratch

Chas.

PBR

Post by PBR »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I thought I heard a woman screaming when the shooter opened the door, then closed and locked it. :headscratch

Chas.
That's what I thought also, sure sound like it.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I thought I heard a woman screaming when the shooter opened the door, then closed and locked it. :headscratch

Chas.
That through me off at first too, as I naturally would have gone to assist a woman screaming, "get out!" After looking at this some more, it appears this house had it's individual rooms rented out, and the 'neighbors' all share the house. I've seen this in several converted apartments, and I even lived in an apartment house like it once. With an open floor plan, they share living space, so I think that the other woman was another renter somewhere in the house, but none of the reports I've read have spread light about other tenants living at the residence.

Regardless, I still find it odd that a grown man with a gun would not go to defend a screaming woman. I'm not set to hide a wait, but to advance and clear, so maybe that's my issue, but something inside of me gets me into overdrive when I hear somebody in need. I've heard it said you can run faster scared than you can angry, but I sure can run fast when I hear a woman or child screaming. Anybody else feel the same?
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Without seeing what the guy with the gun saw, it's hard to say.. Leaving his apartment would mean leaving his girlfriend unprotected.

The stories I read indicate that the guy with the machete entered an upstairs apartment, the people inside knew him and yelled at him to leave, and he did, going down the stairs to the apartment that appears in the video. It may very well be that by the time gun guy opened his apartment door, machete man was already on his way down the stairs and screaming woman was not in direct danger.

My first thought when I watched this the first time was it was a pretty sporting move to open that door in the first place (you can hear his girlfriend say "Hey! Wait!"). I wonder why he didn't use the peep hole?
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Interview with the prosecutor who handled this case.

About the guy with the gun: "Kudos to him, I think he did everything right."

[video][/video]
USAF 1982-2005

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

ELB wrote:Without seeing what the guy with the gun saw, it's hard to say.. Leaving his apartment would mean leaving his girlfriend unprotected.

The stories I read indicate that the guy with the machete entered an upstairs apartment, the people inside knew him and yelled at him to leave, and he did, going down the stairs to the apartment that appears in the video. It may very well be that by the time gun guy opened his apartment door, machete man was already on his way down the stairs and screaming woman was not in direct danger.

My first thought when I watched this the first time was it was a pretty sporting move to open that door in the first place. I wonder why he didn't use the peep hole?
Indication that there is danger is enough for me to intervene, circumstances allowing. Watching the video again, I can make out the female in the background, and at least one male voice. The female is screaming, and I can hear her say get the "blank" out three times before the guy opens the door. Once he has it open, she says get out three more times in a frantic voice before he closes the door. After he starts closing the door, she says it at least two more times before you hear the loud footsteps coming down the stairs. Then a problem arises, the bad guy kicks in the door, he comes through with a machete held high in his right hand when the first shot is fired, followed by two more as the camera is knocked down...

He had the advantage being holed up and waiting at the ready with his gun, so it's best tactically that he waited. I'm just glad the bad guy didn't hack up the other people in the house before he came to their room. The man and woman from upstairs are very blessed it didn't go south for them before the bad guy was stopped.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

jmra

Post by jmra »

sbrawley wrote:
ELB wrote:Without seeing what the guy with the gun saw, it's hard to say.. Leaving his apartment would mean leaving his girlfriend unprotected.
:iagree: If I was alone, there's a good chance I would intervene. With my current situation with wife and kids however, I would stay "holed up" waiting for the attacker to come to me. I'd rather know that my family is safe rather than assume they are.
My wife would not have allowed me to stay, but both she and the boys are well prepared to hold the fort. Of course I would do whatever was necessary to ensure my family didn't have to live in those accommodations.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”