What to do in a home invasion

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What to do in a home invasion

Post by The Annoyed Man »

drjoker wrote:I would suggest that y'all NOT shoot a gun during a home invasion. Yup, you heard me. Overpenetration may kill your own family or neighbors and guns that don't overpenetrate will not stop an attacker. Toss a big can of pepper spray grenade down the hall. If they come through that hallway, they won't be able to see you as their eyes will be swollen. You can then take careful aimed fire back instead of panicked quick shots while your attackers are shooting at you with effective fire. In all likelihood, you won't have to shoot anybody because they'll just run away.
Look at this June's issue of American Rifleman. Kyle Lamb, who has cleared more houses with hostile intent than most people will even visit in their lifetimes vehemently disagrees with you. He believes than an AR15 with proper ammunition selection is the best possible home defense weapon - better than pistols or shotguns - and ONE of the reasons is that proper ammunition selection almost eliminates the unintended consequences of over penetration.

Edited to add: The PRIMARY reason I set out to buy a suppressor and build a SBR is for home defense, because of its superiority as a platform in that application.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
drjoker wrote:I would suggest that y'all NOT shoot a gun during a home invasion. Yup, you heard me. Overpenetration may kill your own family or neighbors and guns that don't overpenetrate will not stop an attacker. Toss a big can of pepper spray grenade down the hall. If they come through that hallway, they won't be able to see you as their eyes will be swollen. You can then take careful aimed fire back instead of panicked quick shots while your attackers are shooting at you with effective fire. In all likelihood, you won't have to shoot anybody because they'll just run away.
Look at this June's issue of American Rifleman. Kyle Lamb, who has cleared more houses with hostile intent than most people will even visit in their lifetimes vehemently disagrees with you. He believes than an AR15 with proper ammunition selection is the best possible home defense weapon - better than pistols or shotguns - and ONE of the reasons is that proper ammunition selection almost eliminates the unintended consequences of over penetration.

Edited to add: The PRIMARY reason I set out to buy a suppressor and build a SBR is for home defense, because of its superiority as a platform in that application.
A suppressed SBR would be an excellent tool for that problem. To shoot or not to shoot in such a situation, IMHO, one also has to consider their confidence and ability to make the shot when needed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
howdy

Post by howdy »

A teenager sprayed tear gas in an elevator of my hotel one night and that one spray cleared out the entire hotel. If you discharge pepper spray in your home, it will get sucked up in the return air and come back to blind/gag you too. I'll stay hunkered down and let them come to me. My lab will attack with her tongue and lick the guy to death and my Dachshund will attack his ankle. My 12ga will do the rest.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

howdy wrote:

A teenager sprayed tear gas in an elevator of my hotel one night and that one spray cleared out the entire hotel. If you discharge pepper spray in your home, it will get sucked up in the return air and come back to blind/gag you too. I'll stay hunkered down and let them come to me. My lab will attack with her tongue and lick the guy to death and my Dachshund will attack his ankle. My 12ga will do the rest.
hmmm.... you have a point. I'll have to test this in a controlled environment somehow and see if you are right. Maybe my air filter will filter it out. I'll have to conduct some tests....

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

drjoker wrote:
howdy wrote:

hmmm.... you have a point. I'll have to test this in a controlled environment somehow and see if you are right. Maybe my air filter will filter it out. I'll have to conduct some tests....
It could possibly be tested out with some harmless smoke of some kind that you would be able to clear easily by opening some windows when done.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

My better half doesn't know this but sometimes when I'm home alone and bored, I clear the house room by room with my Mossburg 590 in the dark.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

nightmare69 wrote:My better half doesn't know this but sometimes when I'm home alone and bored, I clear the house room by room with my Mossburg 590 in the dark.
I've done that too. I've done it with my handgun with the mounted light and with a handheld light and with the M4 and a mounted light. With the M4, I've even tried it with the light mounted in different configurations. Sometimes with the light on strobe and also not on strobe.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”