Had an interesting experience yesterday

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Had an interesting experience yesterday

Post by imkopaka »

imkopaka wrote:Okay, I looked the house up on the appraisal district's website. Got the owner's name and address. He lives somewhere else, so I'm assuming the place is rented. I think I might initiate some form of contact with the owner.

NEVERMIND. :shock:

Remember how "a man was pulling a woman away from a pickup in the driveway toward the front door of the house"? Yeah. I just looked up the owner's house on google maps. The street view showed that very same pickup in the driveway of the owner's house. Suddenly I'm not so confident that the owner will see things my way.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

Put up a camera that records everything an give police access to it, or if you can handle the risk you harass the customer base by taking pictures of the license plates make sure they know it. Seeing you have a family the latter is ill advised.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

imkopaka wrote:
imkopaka wrote:Okay, I looked the house up on the appraisal district's website. Got the owner's name and address. He lives somewhere else, so I'm assuming the place is rented. I think I might initiate some form of contact with the owner.

NEVERMIND. :shock:

Remember how "a man was pulling a woman away from a pickup in the driveway toward the front door of the house"? Yeah. I just looked up the owner's house on google maps. The street view showed that very same pickup in the driveway of the owner's house. Suddenly I'm not so confident that the owner will see things my way.

It's possible that the owner is a family member and the truck may belong to him as well. See if the listed address for the owner is owned by the same person.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mayor

Post by mayor »

Getting to know your neighbors is a good idea. When we moved into our house, one of the first things I did was go to the neighbor's house, introduced myself, tell them we just purchased the 15 acres next door, will have dogs that run loose and horses dropping biscuits in the pasture. They moved. Not because of us, though, I don't think.

When the new neighbors moved in, I went next door, introduced myself, told them we had dogs that run loose and horses dropping biscuits in the pasture and welcome to the neighborhood. they've been there about 10 years and are good neighbors. We tell each other when we'll be out of town and watch each others house.

We're in the country but I still carry a weapon everywhere I go. Never know when you might cross a snake or skunk - even the 2 legged kind.

Good luck to you.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

suthdj wrote:Put up a camera that records everything an give police access to it, or if you can handle the risk you harass the customer base by taking pictures of the license plates make sure they know it. Seeing you have a family the latter is ill advised.

Unfortunately, I've had a lot of experience with meth addicts. I would highly advise against harassing the customers. They can be just as dangerous as the dealer. Meth brings out the MOST vindictive side of people I've ever seen. They'll spend weeks figuring out different ways to make your life a living hell... and that's if they choose the "passive aggressive" route. BUT, most prefer aggressive aggressive. And they're not afraid to be confrontational. If you can get video without alerting them to your activity, do it. But I would strongly suggest not to make your face, family, or address known to anyone else who frequents this house. Good luck.

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Boy, wouldn't it be nice if I could just go Batman on his rear end, break in, gather evidence in a way that could be used to convict, and then hand him over the cops? It's nice to dream...Fortunately I have multiple four-legged alarm systems, plenty of outside lights, and a caliber for every occasion. He's not gonna get the jump on me.

Shadow41

Post by Shadow41 »

I bought a monitor system that included 4 cameras and a recorder that works a lot like a DVR that's hooked up to an old flat screen computer monitor. I think it cost around $250 (not including monitor) if I remember right, and the picture quality is actually pretty good even at a moderate distance. You might think about getting something like that to at least be able to see a recording or have evidence available in the event that something happens when you and you're family aren't at home.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

Not trying to get personal, but do you own your home? If not, I might just move. My number one concern would be for my family. At my age, they could get along without me, and I'm worth more dead than alive anyway. But, 30 years ago I made different decisions than I would now. Whatever happens, prayers for you and your family. You can't fight crazy drug controlled minds.
Last edited by Lynyrd on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lynyrd wrote:Not trying to get personal, but do you own your home? If not, I might just move.
:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Install a security camera system and install one if them so it shows across the front of your house and in his direction. This will perhaps cover you in the future if necessary.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Sounds like everything went your way with this. Would you have gotten involved if the lady didnt run to you?

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

I do own my home, and unfortunately I'm only 2 years into a 30 year loan, so leaving isn't really an option unless I were actually targeted repeatedly.

I'm considering adding a camera system, but as I said, cost is a factor. Maybe after I replace my poor, old car I can look at Costco's selection.

lildave40, when I saw her walking toward me I was in the process of running to the guys porch. He was using force to move her into his home against her will. Use your imagination as to why (she has been described as a recently acquired girlfriend). Under the circumstances (with legal support below), I believed he was committing aggravated kidnapping and was prepared to legally use deadly force against him if he refused to comply.

Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or

(C) was committing or attempting to commit aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery;

(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and

(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.

(b) The use of force against another is not justified:

(1) in response to verbal provocation alone;

(2) to resist an arrest or search that the actor knows is being made by a peace officer, or by a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, even though the arrest or search is unlawful, unless the resistance is justified under Subsection (c);

(3) if the actor consented to the exact force used or attempted by the other;

(4) if the actor provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force, unless:

(A) the actor abandons the encounter, or clearly communicates to the other his intent to do so reasonably believing he cannot safely abandon the encounter; and

(B) the other nevertheless continues or attempts to use unlawful force against the actor; or

(5) if the actor sought an explanation from or discussion with the other person concerning the actor's differences with the other person while the actor was:

(A) carrying a weapon in violation of Section 46.02; or

(B) possessing or transporting a weapon in violation of Section 46.05.

(c) The use of force to resist an arrest or search is justified:

(1) if, before the actor offers any resistance, the peace officer (or person acting at his direction) uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to make the arrest or search; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the peace officer's (or other person's) use or attempted use of greater force than necessary.

(d) The use of deadly force is not justified under this subchapter except as provided in Sections 9.32, 9.33, and 9.34.

(e) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the force is used is not required to retreat before using force as described by this section.

(f) For purposes of Subsection (a), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (e) reasonably believed that the use of force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.

Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:

(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and

(2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Sec. 20.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Restrain" means to restrict a person's movements without consent, so as to interfere substantially with the person's liberty, by moving the person from one place to another or by confining the person. Restraint is "without consent" if it is accomplished by:

(A) force, intimidation, or deception; or

(B) any means, including acquiescence of the victim, if:

(i) the victim is a child who is less than 14 years of age or an incompetent person and the parent, guardian, or person or institution acting in loco parentis has not acquiesced in the movement or confinement; or

(ii) the victim is a child who is 14 years of age or older and younger than 17 years of age, the victim is taken outside of the state and outside a 120-mile radius from the victim's residence, and the parent, guardian, or person or institution acting in loco parentis has not acquiesced in the movement.

(2) "Abduct" means to restrain a person with intent to prevent his liberation by:

(A) secreting or holding him in a place where he is not likely to be found; or

(B) using or threatening to use deadly force.

(3) "Relative" means a parent or stepparent, ancestor, sibling, or uncle or aunt, including an adoptive relative of the same degree through marriage or adoption.

(4) "Person" means an individual, corporation, or association.

(5) Notwithstanding Section 1.07, "individual" means a human being who has been born and is alive.

Sec. 20.04. AGGRAVATED KIDNAPPING. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly abducts another person with the intent to:

(1) hold him for ransom or reward;

(2) use him as a shield or hostage;

(3) facilitate the commission of a felony or the flight after the attempt or commission of a felony;

(4) inflict bodily injury on him or violate or abuse him sexually;

(5) terrorize him or a third person; or

(6) interfere with the performance of any governmental or political function.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly abducts another person and uses or exhibits a deadly weapon during the commission of the offense.

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.

(d) At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he voluntarily released the victim in a safe place. If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Make contact with the police, make sure they know your very concerned about a meth dealer on your street
Watch your back meth people are paranoid
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

I am so sorry. Welcome to the world of meth. If my experience with meth users is anything to go on your life is about to get interesting. Keep a journal... just for the heck of it. We should have. Meth is the reason I bought a handgun in the first place.

I live in the country and this old house 300 yards away was repeatedly rented by meth users....and for some reason each set of new renters thought they needed to come over to my house.

There's dark humor with one of the stories about a family that lived the house the longest. A friend of our was laughing his rear off when my wife told it. It's pretty long story, even includes space aliens....but I had to race 20 miles to home to shoot their pit bull that was attacking my dog in our garage. The family pulled up and moved to Olney Tx that day and left the other two pit bulls run loose (they originally had 13 pit bulls tied up around the house); funny but longer then the following dog story.

After that bunch moved out another family moved in; we heard they had a baby. Who would bring a baby into that dump? They didn't stay very long, however, because the first Saturday evening, while I was at a boy scout outing (my alibi), my wife looked out the window and saw a big fireball. It looked like the house was going up. A friend of mine was one of the firemen. He said it looked like there was an explosion, stuff blown up into the trees. The blew up the old chicken house. At least this bunch left me alone. People were asking me if I tried to burn down the house ;-) . Nope, I had an alibi.

the next bunch a husband and wife. I told my wife "Dang it. Somebody else is moving in over there." She said maybe they'll be alright. That first weekend was yelling. Woman: "Ough! Stop that!" Man: "I tiered of the blanking S__!" When we found out who was moving in my wife says "Oh no not ____?" She new the woman from the ER. The man had been in prison for child molestation. He raped a mentally challenged young man. I don't what happened but they didn't stay. However, her brother moved in, along with a friend, Wayne, that my daughter new from school, and some 50ish older woman who lived in a 16 foot run down trailer. One day my daughter was coming home and Wayne was headed to town. His buddy's dog was trying to go along running down the middle of the road. Wayne and my daughter met at the top of hill, the dog, in the middle of the road, must of scooted over to Wayne's car breaking its back leg. The next evening the older woman and the dog owner shows up at my door with a $780 bill for the dog and subtle threats against my daughter in an attempt to intimidate me. They wanted me to give them money for the vet bill. I just took the bill and stopped by the vet the next morning. The receptionist realizing why I was there pulled me into the backroom, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. These people came in here doped up and we told them we needed the money up front. And actually the bill is $900 because both right legs are broken." Yeah, the right legs that were next to Wayne's car. He ran over his buddy's dog. I told the receptionist I wasn't paying for the dog. When the woman and Waynes buddy showed up the next day expecting to get paid they didn't like my answer. He burned rubber leaving my driveway. The vet told me they never went back for the dog. Wayne ended up going to prison for breaking into and robbing a number of stores one night. In the hardware store he had stolen a lot of guns.

....And that ain't the half of what we should've written down.

A relative of mine living a couple miles down the road had a meth cooking and dealing house across the road from him. He had similar stories. One day a girl walk over to his house wanting to use the phone. "Mom, will you come over here and get me.....He [her boyfriend] said he was going to throw me down and stab me." The boyfriend drive up, gets out stomping on over and my relative is like...."Now wait a minute fella....just stay back.."

It's pretty bad when the local LEO and deputies tell me: "You know, Tracker, that house needs a lighting strike."

It did finally get burned down once a new executor to the property took over. The fire department did a control burn. I took a picture.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

crazy2medic wrote:Make contact with the police, make sure they know your very concerned about a meth dealer on your street
Watch your back meth people are paranoid
:iagree: Yep!

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”