KY: Woman shoots knife-wielding attacker in neck

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

KY: Woman shoots knife-wielding attacker in neck

Post by ELB »

A woman with an Indiana License to Carry Handgun was attacked at her car in a parking garage in Louisville. As they struggled inside her car he threatened her with a knife and she managed to get her gun out of her purse (!) and shoot him in the neck. It temporarily drove him back, but when was afraid he was going to come back and she apparently kept striking at him, which apparently discouraged the attacker enough that he left. Someone else noticed him leaving the parking garage bleeding from the neck and called the cops.

This link has a video report with close up pictures of the knife and gun. Looks like a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP and a cheap steak knife.
http://www.whas11.com/news/crime/video- ... r/67991356

Some highlights
:

"The victim asked the suspect what floor he needed, and the victim described the suspect as being out of it, possibly high or drunk, but when he said the sixth floor, the victim stated she became nervous," a police narrative said."
The woman, ...but when she was trying to get in, the man banged her head on something unknown and pushed his knee into her chest,. ...forced the woman across the center console inside her car.
... pulled a knife and demanded the woman's money.
... the man stopped demanding money and ordered her into the car and pushed her toward the passenger seat.
The gun,... didn't fire at first and the attacker hit her in the face and held a hand over her mouth with one hand and was moving the knife toward her with the other.

"Fearing for her life, the victim kept pulling the trigger of her gun, which finally fired, and struck the suspect in the neck."
Yikes. I wonder if the round failed to fire at first, or she was really having trouble getting the safety off?

In any case, good for her!

Another link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... point.html
USAF 1982-2005

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: KY: Woman shoots knife-wielding attacker in neck

Post by Beiruty »

It was a small caliber, not sure if it was 38ACP or smaller. The guy was bleeding and was able to keep walking. I guess he was just grazed with a bullet in his neck area.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Good thing she was carrying. If she was carrying a 32acp, I would recommend she carry something a little more potent though.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Beiruty wrote:It was a small caliber, not sure if it was 38ACP or smaller. The guy was bleeding and was able to keep walking. I guess he was just grazed with a bullet in his neck area.
As I noted, it was a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

From the video, it looks like she was not fully SA, she also made the mistake of pressing her floor before asking him what floor he wanted. This is something I have drilled into my wife and daughter, gentlemanly conduct allows women to enter elevators first, but wait to find out where the others want to go, if someone looks hinky (yes that is still a technical term) and they request your floor, either go past your floor and ride back down, or take stairs etc.. She never moved her purse to her left hand to have access to her gun, with her right.

I'm glad it worked out in her favor, but I hope more women (or men for that matter) will learn from this. I have forwarded this to my wife and daughter.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Another follow-up:

This is the lady in the OP being interviewed by NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFyabDJ0nY

A lawyer on an Indiana gun forum mentioned that she now works in Indiana at the same firm, and she has switched to a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm for her daily carry.
USAF 1982-2005

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Luckily she has a hammer-fired pistol with re-strike capability since the round first failed to fire. She probably would not have been able to rack the slide to reset a striker-fired pistol.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Another possibility is that she could have been inducing a malfunction if she was pressing the gun into his neck (placing it out of battery until she backed off slightly, allowing it to go back into battery).

Either way, kudos to her for surviving this attack.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”