Family kills escaped murderer who took them hostage

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Family kills escaped murderer who took them hostage

Post by ELB »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wom ... ce-n535971

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/10/ch ... spect.html

Man being held for raping and murdering a 69yo woman last year overpowered a guard with a shank and escaped. He entered a residential garage where a man and possibly his son were, taking them hostage and entering the house where he also took the wife hostage, tying up the adults (apparently - stories differ as to exactly who was tied). While tying up the husband the husband broke free and was stabbed in the shoulder. The intruder retied the husband. The wife was taken to a bathroom - somehow she was able to go to a bedroom, retrieve a handgun, and come back and shoot the escapee, who retreated to the bathroom. She untied her husband, who took the handgun to the bathroom and shot the intruder again. Not sure which shots he died from, but the intruder is dead.

Unsourced scuttlebutt on another forum says the intruder told the wife he was going to rape her and make her shower afterwards, and when she laid down on a bed she was able to retrieve the handgun. She shot the thug once, the gun jammed, and the thug ran into the bathroom. She untied husband, he got the gun unjammed and went after the thug in the bathroom. As I said, no real source to this, but it makes sense of the news story details.

Whatever the details, good on the family and prayers for their recovery. Good riddance to the thug.
USAF 1982-2005

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Family kills escaped murderer who took them hostage

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Timely prosecution, sentencing and punishment... this family deserves our prayers and our thanks.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

I'm glad the family survived.

Also glad that perpetrator did not get away with another murder(s).

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

AMEN!
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Also hoping that none of the family members are charged or prosecuted for murder.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

C-dub wrote:Also hoping that none of the family members are charged or prosecuted for murder.
"This is absolutely not the outcome we had all hoped for," Warren County Sheriff Martin Pace said. "We had wanted to capture him and have him stand before the judge. But he chose this, and I am so personally relieved that this family was not injured more than they were and they were able to protect themselves."
The DA decides what if any charges, but sounds like the local cops are OK with what happened.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”