SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

Post by RHenriksen »

ELB wrote:I just read the text for SB 16, and it appears to me it removes the fee for LTC initial and renewal, and instructors, but not for the capitol access pass that was created to allow people to get a background check and use the LTC lane at the state capitol without getting a full-blown LTC.
When was the capitol access pass created? I missed that one. I imagine it included a background check, but not the classroom and range and written test of the LTC?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

RHenriksen wrote:
ELB wrote:I just read the text for SB 16, and it appears to me it removes the fee for LTC initial and renewal, and instructors, but not for the capitol access pass that was created to allow people to get a background check and use the LTC lane at the state capitol without getting a full-blown LTC.
When was the capitol access pass created? I missed that one. I imagine it included a background check, but not the classroom and range and written test of the LTC?
I'm too lazy to go check, but I'll bet it was the first legislative session after the legislatures set up the LTC Lane.
USAF 1982-2005

safety1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by safety1 »

I like the elimination of fees, it's a step in the right direction.

Concerns - Would this create longer wait times for renewals and first time apps?
I recall in the past when things got "busy" at DPS, they would bring in more workers for processing.
If it becomes a budgeted licensing program item, would this curtail the ability to bring workers in during heavy processing times?

Undoubtedly reducing fees would get more LTCs to those in which found it cost prohibitive. More numbers on our
side of the battle, that's a win! On the flip side how many people are forgoing their LTC now, due to cost? If they won't apply
for their LTC due to cost, are they really going to drop the several hundred dollars for a carry gun?
I support SB16 because it does open doors, I just wonder how much it opens them and what the impacts will be to those of
us that are currently LTC'ers at renewal time.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

safety1 wrote:I like the elimination of fees, it's a step in the right direction.

Concerns - Would this create longer wait times for renewals and first time apps?
I recall in the past when things got "busy" at DPS, they would bring in more workers for processing.
If it becomes a budgeted licensing program item, would this curtail the ability to bring workers in during heavy processing times?.
I might be wrong, but I believe that the DPS licensing program already operates off budget funds and licensing fees go straight to the general fund, not to the DPS.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ELB wrote:
safety1 wrote:I like the elimination of fees, it's a step in the right direction.

If it becomes a budgeted licensing program item, would this curtail the ability to bring workers in during heavy processing times?.
I might be wrong, but I believe that the DPS licensing program already operates off budget funds and licensing fees go straight to the general fund, not to the DPS.
Correct.

Chas.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

BeanCounter wrote:If THEY want to promote “secure storage devices" why not allow a sales tax exemption for gun safes, etc?
Exactly. Storage devices have nothing to do with LTCs, anyway.
-Ruark

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ELB wrote:

Correct.

Chas.
Great, my concerns are unfounded
Hope for quick passage!
Thanks guys!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I understand your point, but we are dealing with a constitutional right. If the Legislature feels that the licensing law should exist for public safety reasons, then the cost should be born by the general public. The cost of voter registration is born by the public and voting is also a constitutional right.

Chas.
Agreed, and I'm not arguing for or against constitutional carry because I understand the political realities, but isn't that very close to an argument for constitutional carry?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Scott Farkus wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I understand your point, but we are dealing with a constitutional right. If the Legislature feels that the licensing law should exist for public safety reasons, then the cost should be born by the general public. The cost of voter registration is born by the public and voting is also a constitutional right.

Chas.
Agreed, and I'm not arguing for or against constitutional carry because I understand the political realities, but isn't that very close to an argument for constitutional carry?
No. There's nothing more fundamental to our form of government than the right to vote. There's no fee to vote, but one must register to vote and a background check is done before issuing the voter registration card and putting you on the eligible voter role. (Convicted felons cannot vote.) I think this should be the procedure for getting an LTC.

People have taken to the term "constitutional carry" for political reasons, but the SCOTUS has stated in Heller that licensing is constitutional. Yes, it was dicta, but I don't see a future court striking down all licensing statutes.

My opinion on the state shouldering the cost of the background check, issuing the license, etc. is not limited to LTCs. I think the cost of any procedural requirement placed on citizens should be paid by the state, when the motive for the procedure is public safety. If the population as a whole benefits, then the population should bear the cost.

Chas.

infoman

Post by infoman »

So just a couple questions? On the proposed SB16, the one that does away with the fees. Will everything be totally free? New app fees, renewal fees, fingerprints, LTC new classes? Will instructors still charge for the courses? Thanks.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

infoman wrote:So just a couple questions? On the proposed SB16, the one that does away with the fees. Will everything be totally free? New app fees, renewal fees, fingerprints, LTC new classes? Will instructors still charge for the courses? Thanks.
As filed, SB16 does away with all state fees for an LTC. That includes new licenses, renewals, lost/changed licenses, etc. It has no effect on fees for classes. That would be unconstitutional.

Chas.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Scott Farkus wrote:

Chas.
No. There's nothing more fundamental to our form of government than the right to vote. There's no fee to vote, but one must register to vote and a background check is done before issuing the voter registration card and putting you on the eligible voter role. (Convicted felons cannot vote.) I think this should be the procedure for getting an LTC.

People have taken to the term "constitutional carry" for political reasons, but the SCOTUS has stated in Heller that licensing is constitutional. Yes, it was dicta, but I don't see a future court striking down all licensing statutes.

My opinion on the state shouldering the cost of the background check, issuing the license, etc. is not limited to LTCs. I think the cost of any procedural requirement placed on citizens should be paid by the state, when the motive for the procedure is public safety. If the population as a whole benefits, then the population should bear the cost.

Chas.

Does the state really do a background check for voter registration? Given the incredibly lax requirements for voter registration, I imagine it wouldn't be too extensive. I registered to vote in Texas in 1990 and I don't recall anything other than filling out a paper form/affidavit and mailing it in. I would think that there would be a lot of legitimate voters with common names getting rejected over confusion with felons and I've never heard of that.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: I understand your point, but we are dealing with a constitutional right. If the Legislature feels that the licensing law should exist for public safety reasons, then the cost should be born by the general public. The cost of voter registration is born by the public and voting is also a constitutional right.
Not much to do with this topic, but if we get this one through, This could be a pathway to dropping the State ID fee. ( Not Drivers Licence) The people who need these are often poor or low income, and would resolve some of the exclusivity of the Voting ID controversy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Liberty wrote:Not much to do with this topic, but if we get this one through, This could be a pathway to dropping the State ID fee. ( Not Drivers Licence) The people who need these are often poor or low income, and would resolve some of the exclusivity of the Voting ID controversy.
I thought there already was a provision to give these out for free, at least for the needy however that's defined.

infoman

Post by infoman »

One last question? Assuming this bill passes, it will create a giant volume increase & likewise hudge backlog in processing. If the costs are all waived, who's paying for all the DPS costs to function a massive increase in an already swamped department? would taxes be effected in any way? Just trying to get a good understanding. I guess I'm wondering where will the funds come from?

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”