HB375 constitutional carry getting media attention.

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

HB375 constitutional carry getting media attention.

Post by nightmare69 »

2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB375 constitutional carry getting media attention.

Post by Jusme »

nightmare69 wrote:Will this bill be DOA?

http://m.kltv.com/kltv/db/330566/content/uJYoE1ge

More than likely, I don't think they have the support needed to get this passed. My representatives have also said that even among Republicans, this is not something that they would feel comfortable with, at least not right now. I'm glad it is being introduced, it at least keeps the idea alive, and can spark debate. Also even if this doesn't pass, it may help remove more restrictions for LTC holders, that are included in other bills. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Post by canvasbck »

While this bill is DOA, it's good that it's getting media attention. Let the Anti's spend political capital on defeating this one.

A tactic that the other side has employed over and over (successfully) is to introduce things that go way further than you actually want to get at this time, then the "compromise" still shifts things their direction.

If this bill will help with the passage of HB560, ill be doing my happy dance!
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

I'm not sure what the problem is with it when several more states just implemented it...what's up Texas? are we going to be last?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

canvasbck wrote:While this bill is DOA, it's good that it's getting media attention. Let the Anti's spend political capital on defeating this one.

A tactic that the other side has employed over and over (successfully) is to introduce things that go way further than you actually want to get at this time, then the "compromise" still shifts things their direction.

Amen to that!!! HB560 is the golden egg this session.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

SewTexas wrote:I'm not sure what the problem is with it when several more states just implemented it...what's up Texas? are we going to be last?
Well you saw how long it took us to (re-)legalize open carry. Maybe in another 130 years we'll have Constitutional Carry! I jest.

In actuality, it may be more like when concealed carry laws were passing around the country. One or two states started it, then more and more got on the bandwagon. Within 25-30 years, it was legal (in some form) in all 50 states. The more states that adopt it, the faster it will spread to new states when people realize the sky is not falling.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Post by canvasbck »

SewTexas wrote:I'm not sure what the problem is with it when several more states just implemented it...what's up Texas? are we going to be last?
I am being brutally honest here, I acknowledge that I am somewhat selfish in my thinking. With a permitted system, I still have the ability to protect myself.

I don't like the fact that I have to get permission to exercise a God given and constitutionally protected right. I think it's ridiculous that being behind on taxes would be something that prevents someone from being able to carry. But I at least have the ability under the current system, provided I meet the requirements.

Prohibited places do not give me the ability to defend myself. I see much more value in not having to disarm just because I'm going to an Astro's game than I do in not having to maintain my LTC. Having to maintain a license still gives me the option to carry, it makes me jump through hoops, but does give me a path to be able to carry. With prohibited places, there is no path that I can take to employ my chosen method of self defense.

In a perfect world, we would have constitutional carry without prohibited places, unfortunately our world is far from perfect.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

in many of the states you can chose to get a permit. I honestly don't have an opinion on Constitution carry. What I sort of have a problem with is Texas being the last state to pass it. lol
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

SewTexas wrote:in many of the states you can chose to get a permit. I honestly don't have an opinion on Constitution carry. What I sort of have a problem with is Texas being the last state to pass it. lol
Dont worry...Texas won't be last. We will at least be ahead of California, New York, and DC!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Well, the article said Smith County Democratic chair Micheal Tolbert....
Tolbert has a license to carry and says that the local party would be for eliminating fees to renew licenses, but against eliminating licenses themselves.
I'm just glad to know that people on both sides of the aisle in Texas support LTC! :patriot:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Syntyr wrote:
SewTexas wrote:in many of the states you can chose to get a permit. I honestly don't have an opinion on Constitution carry. What I sort of have a problem with is Texas being the last state to pass it. lol
Dont worry...Texas won't be last. We will at least be ahead of California, New York, and DC!

well, that's true
~Tracy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

There are 3 constitutionally protected rights that have the potential to be extremely dangerous if they are exercised irresponsibly. The right to vote; the right to free speech / assembly; and The right to keep and bear arms. I would argue that the RKBA is the least dangerous of these three. So why is it perfectly acceptable to most people that we make folks jump through hoops to exercise this right, while any mention of passing common sense restrictions on voting or free speech makes one a hate monger, racist, and a whole host of other nasty things?

The answer is that most people are willfully ignorant of most things in the world. They aren't necessarily stupid or lazy. Rather, they are just busy living their lives, and tend to just ignore anything that doesn't have a huge impact on them personally. This makes them very easy prey for propaganda. And the left is far better at propaganda than the right.

We will win this battle for gun rights the same way that the left won the battle for gay marriage. Little by little, and state by state. Let's recognize that we are in a deep hole compared to where we want to be on gun rights and start digging our way out. Trying to immediately jump out of the hole in one motion is a futile waste of time and effort, IMHO.

KLB

Post by KLB »

TresHuevos wrote:
canvasbck wrote:While this bill is DOA, it's good that it's getting media attention. Let the Anti's spend political capital on defeating this one.

Amen to that!!! HB560 is the golden egg this session.
I agree. Let the spotlight of opposition shine on constitutional carry, so HB 560 can slide by without so much attention. As The Donald would say, you need bargaining chips you can trade away to get what you really want,

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Not sure how it works but would like to see DPS get more money for people working in the LTC department.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

bblhd672 wrote:Not sure how it works but would like to see DPS get more money for people working in the LTC department.
LTC fees go into the general fund, not directly to DPS. However, they might need to increase funding for that DPS department if they eliminate LTC fees.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”