HB1911 Com Substitute

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Ruark
Posts in topic: 16

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute

Post by Ruark »

ScottDLS wrote:....Keeps 06 and 07 as the (only) way to prohibit licensed/unlicensed carry under GC 411 authority, it still makes 30.05 irrelevant to handgun carry, and still allows for MPA, LEO, and employee carry past 30.06/7.
So businesses would have to change all their signs AGAIN???? Re-engrave the glass, etc....?

I'm sure 99% of them would just post these signs, instead of signs prohibiting only unlicensed carry. What a mess.
-Ruark

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 8

Post by bblhd672 »

Russell wrote:I am still beyond frustrated with the amount of political capital and points used up on this (in my mind) useless bill.

I threw a good amount of money at TSRA this session in the belief that they were going to push HB 560. I was proven a fool, there wasn't a single peep from them about it at all.

Never again.
I agree....if we end up with more restrictions on LTC's and where we are allowed to carry then I will strongly consider not renewing my TSRA membership.

Signed...Disillusioned.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

The one bit of good news for me in all of this. Is that If this passes, I don't have to worry about the legality of an exposed gun that I'm not wearing while driving. I often carry a holstered handgun in my doorside panel. If I open the door the gun could be exposed. I kept it covered with a cloth, now I won't worry about it so much while getting gas etc.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:Committee substitute text for HB1911 released today.

I notice:
looks like a gunbuster bars unlicensed carry, and carry past that is a class C. Doesn't mention anything about sign requirements, hence I think this.
belt or shoulder holster changed to just "holster"
CSHB 1911 Final.pdf
Edited - I originally thought the bill added exemptions to 46.03 and 46.035 for license holders, that was my bad (it does not).
Where did you get the committee substitute? It's not on the legislative website yet.

Thanks,
Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott Farkus wrote:
ralewis wrote:My (likely unpopular) opinion is I wish the emphasis on unlicensed carry would just go away. The distraction caused by 'constitutional carry' this cycle and Open Carry last cycle haven't help much with the notion of lawful carry in increasingly more places. With the reduction in LTC fees (assuming it passes), and the requirement that to carry unlicensed is same as getting a license, it makes no sense to me to even pursue unlicensed carry. Just get a license....And to those who say you don't need a license for a constitutional right, 2 things. First, no consitutional rights are absolute and permits are required for 'free speech' activities at times and courts can take actions to constrain other rights. The 2nd Amendment says what the courts say it means -- that's an inevitable reality that absent some sort of revolution we're not going to escape.

We've had 20+ years of successful CHL/LTC (including Open Carry last cycle) without incident, and all we're succeeding in doing is create awareness which will result in more and more posted locations.

I've written my state Rep and Senator on behalf of the 3 license holders in my household requesting they not support.
I agree for the most part but respectfully request you reconsider that last sentence. For whatever reason, it seems that the "powers that be" (for lack of a better term) have decided to put most of the eggs in the constitutional carry basket this sesson. While I think CC is important, I and I suspect many others here don't think it should be our top priority right now - HB 560 should. But at this point, it seems to me that the train has left the station and if we don't get CC, not only are we going to have a very disappointing session, but we'll be dealing with CC again next session, and the session after that, etc. until it passes. And it will continue to suck all the air out of the room, just like OC did until it finally passed.

At this point, I say let's just get it done and maybe finally hopefully we can clear the deck for a HB560 next time.
Yes, HB560 most certainly should have been the flagship Bill!

Chas.

allisji
Posts in topic: 7

Post by allisji »

Sounds like we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

We need to wait and see what the legislature publishes and whether or not it includes new language for 30.06 signage.

the version in the OP didn't mention any new language for signage and only went up to Section 21.

eta: the section 24 language posted by jmorris looks like it must have come from the original text before it was revised in committee.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ninjabread »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Where did you get the committee substitute? It's not on the legislative website yet.

Thanks,
Chas.
:iagree:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 25

Post by ScottDLS »

jmorris wrote:The way I read it, the new verbiage for 06 & 07 prohibits both licensed and unlicensed carry. The text within brackets [] will be struck. Going to reduce the size of the sign.

SECTION 24. The heading to Section 30.06, Penal Code, is
amended to read as follows:
Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY PERSON [LICENSE HOLDER] WITH [A]
CONCEALED HANDGUN.
SECTION 25. Sections 30.06(a), (c), (d), and (e), Penal
Code, are amended to read as follows:
(a) A person [license holder] commits an offense if the
person [license holder]:
(1) carries a concealed handgun [under the authority
of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,] on property of
another without effective consent; and
(2) received notice that entry on the property by a
person [license holder] with a concealed handgun was forbidden.
(c) In this section:
(1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section
30.05(b).
(2) ["License holder" has the meaning assigned by
Section 46.035(f).
[(3)] "Written communication" means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written
language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06,
Penal Code (trespass by person [license holder] with [a] concealed
handgun), a person [licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
Government Code (handgun licensing law),] may not enter this
property with a concealed handgun"; or
Where did you get this section 24? In the original post (OP pdf), I see it only going to Section 21?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ninjabread »

This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Medley86
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Medley86 »

Maybe I missed it in the legal jargon, does 1911 modify TABC blue signs? If not while unlicensed carry will be legal there will be many locations which have to do nothing different than they do now to bar it.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Captain Matt »

Medley86 wrote:Maybe I missed it in the legal jargon, does 1911 modify TABC blue signs?
They haven't posted the text of the committee substitute yet so it's a Schrodinger cat.
"hic sunt dracones"

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

casp625 wrote:....

I'd agree with your assessment if the CSHB1911 didn't end with
SECTION 21. This Act takes effect September 1, 2017.
Section 24 ??? :headscratch
Well, shucks, and most emphatically, darn. Had both up and must have gotten confused flipping between tabs on my tablet.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 22

Post by locke_n_load »

I got the text from one of the gun groups on facebook I follow, don't remember which one specifically (I follow more than a few haha). Apparently it may not have been final (really thought that it was). But Terry Holcomb in one of his posts did say that they weren't merging licensed/unlicensed restriction into 06/07 and that a gunbuster would prohibit unlicensed carry, and he has been working a lot on 1911 if I remember correctly.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott Farkus »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Yes, HB560 most certainly should have been the flagship Bill!

Chas.
I know you probably can't answer but I'm going to ask anyway - why wasn't it?

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute and HB560

Post by Lambda Force »

canvasbck wrote: This session will go down as one of the least productive in decades as it relates to expansion of 2a rights.

Supermajority my hind end........ :banghead:
They will pass everything the Republican leadership wants passed. If you like what they pass, then vote Republican.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”