Any updates?

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Any updates?

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Good day to you all,

I have noticed there is very little talk about the current legislative session. There isn't even a separate section set up for it, in contrast to earlier years. Does anyone have any good updates about what is going on in the session regarding firearms or self-defense bills that are working their way through the system? Or has nothing been posted because nothing is really going on this time? Hopefully something positive will come out this year. Lots of states have either passed pro-2A legislation or have it in-work. Some of that has been just "catchup" to where Texas is already at (Ohio SYG, for instance), but some has gone beyond in the form of "Constitutional Carry" (merely using the colloquial term) or "2A Sanctuary" (colloquial, as well). Thanks in advance, I'll check back soon and see if anyone has any good news.

Moderators, please move if this is the wrong section of the forum, my apologies.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any updates?

Post by parabelum »

I think that bills we support will die on a vine and there’s a bit of discouragement in the air. My opinion.
We will be likely moving in the next year to a friendlier 2A State. TX is good, but not good enough.
Last edited by parabelum on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 11

Post by KC5AV »

I suspect that the current legislative session has fallen by the wayside due to the ongoing turmoil within the NRA.
NRA lifetime member

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AF-Odin »

The Permitless Carry Bill was voted out of committee. Check out the TSRA website, go to the PAC tab and sign up for legislative alerts.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Flightmare »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:36 pm The Permitless Carry Bill was voted out of committee. Check out the TSRA website, go to the PAC tab and sign up for legislative alerts.
I agree. I have more confidence on this and other pro-2A legislation passing than I have in recent legislative sessions.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:36 pm The Permitless Carry Bill was voted out of committee. Check out the TSRA website, go to the PAC tab and sign up for legislative alerts.
Thank you, I will go check it out.

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 16

Post by jerry_r60 »

SB 550 It's been reported out of committee "favorably without Amendment". It removes the "shoulder or "belt" language out of law, just leaving "Holster" for appropriate method of open carry. Not a giant leap but it's a positive bill (to my non lawyer eyes anyway).

There is a companion bill in the House, still in committee: HB 4358

HB 1856 has come out of committee (substituted) favorably and has been sent to Calendars. This one's intent is to improve 2a protections in hotels.
Here is some text from the bill analysis:

"It has been noted that an inconsistent patchwork of protections exists for lawful gun owners
while traveling in Texas. There have been calls for the state to step in and ensure that Texans'
Second Amendment rights are respected while staying in hotels during their travels.
C.S.H.B. 1856 seeks to strengthen legal protection for lawful gun owners by prohibiting hotels
from adopting certain restrictive firearms policies."

HB 1911 Constitutional Carry bill has been reported favorably out of committee and has now been sent to Calendars.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Flightmare »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Te ... ill=HB1927

HB 1927 will be having a floor hearing on Thursday, 4/15/2021. This is Rep Schaefer's version of permitless carry. There are 5 authors and 56 co-authors for this bill at the time of this post.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:29 pm https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Te ... ill=HB1927

HB 1927 will be having a floor hearing on Thursday, 4/15/2021. This is Rep Schaefer's version of permitless carry. There are 5 authors and 56 co-authors for this bill at the time of this post.
From TSRA:
On the same day, likely after the Constitutional Carry debate, HB 1500 by Representative Hefner will be debated on the floor. This is the bill that will prevent any Governor of Texas from infringing on our 2A rights during a disaster or state of emergency. This is not about the current Governor but rather seeks to make sure if we get any pro gun-control Governor's in Texas, they cannot disable our rights when we need them the most!
There is also a link on the TSRA website to watch or listen to the debate Thursday at 10AM..
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RoyGBiv »

Flightmare wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm
I agree. I have more confidence on this and other pro-2A legislation passing than I have in recent legislative sessions.
The TSRA email updates over the past 2 weeks are rather positive sounding... If you're not a member... Worth signing up.

Received just now...
Breaking News: Constitutional Carry Scheduled for the Floor

House Bill 1927 by Representative Schaefer is scheduled for the floor of The House for full debate on Thursday at 10. You'll recall that this bills DOES NOT eradicate the LTC system People who qualify to carry as an LTC (if the person isn't a felon, drug addict, fugitive from justice, etc) would be allowed to carry without a permit. Mostly, the people supporting these bills already carry, so the bills are more about rights being restored. There are now 20 other states as of today that have passed some form of Permitless carry. It's high time Texas joined them!

On the same day, likely after the Constitutional Carry debate, HB 1500 by Representative Hefner will be debated on the floor. This is the bill that will prevent any Governor of Texas from infringing on our 2A rights during a disaster or state of emergency. This is not about the current Governor but rather seeks to make sure if we get any pro gun-control Governor's in Texas, they cannot disable our rights when we need them the most!

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Papa_Tiger »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:19 pm
Flightmare wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm
The TSRA email updates over the past 2 weeks are rather positive sounding... If you're not a member... Worth signing up.

Received just now...
Breaking News: Constitutional Carry Scheduled for the Floor

House Bill 1927 by Representative Schaefer is scheduled for the floor of The House for full debate on Thursday at 10. You'll recall that this bills DOES NOT eradicate the LTC system People who qualify to carry as an LTC (if the person isn't a felon, drug addict, fugitive from justice, etc) would be allowed to carry without a permit. Mostly, the people supporting these bills already carry, so the bills are more about rights being restored. There are now 20 other states as of today that have passed some form of Permitless carry. It's high time Texas joined them!

I just read through the whole of HB 1927 and its supporting documentation. This is a FANTASTIC bill. I will certainly be writing my rep to support this!

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Andi Turner is the new TSRA Legislative Director. She has been extremely active in promoting the positive bills and opposing the negative bills during this legislative session. She has organized some folks who have provided testimony for the pro and anti bills to great effect. Andi may be new to Texas, but previously worked pro-2A legislative issues in Maryland. Think with her efforts already, we can waive the waiting period to grant her Texas citizenship.

TSRA can always use new members. :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 16

Post by jerry_r60 »

HB1856 - Hotel Bill: It looks like it passed in the house today and is moving on to the senate.

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

Does anyone know the prospects for SB 513? It could be crucially important if it passes, and we might sorely wish for it if it lapses.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 19

Post by oljames3 »

KLB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:40 pm Does anyone know the prospects for SB 513? It could be crucially important if it passes, and we might sorely wish for it if it lapses.
SB513 got two more coauthors yesterday, Creighton and Taylor, for a total of four. It was reported out of committee favorably, without amendments and has been place on the intent calendar. What this portends for the future of SB513, I have no idea.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... Bill=SB513

GOA Texas is a good place for info. https://texas.gunowners.org/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”