Straus not running for a new term.

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Straus not running for a new term.

Post by ScottDLS »

SewTexas wrote:there are comments on his FB announcement asking him to run for Gov....please no, no, no...please....
Primary Greg Abbott? Or run as a Democrat since he is one...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

ScottDLS wrote:
SewTexas wrote:there are comments on his FB announcement asking him to run for Gov....please no, no, no...please....
Primary Greg Abbott? Or run as a Democrat since he is one...
I couldn't figure that one out. Anyone who gets so many "I'm a Democrat and I like you" comments as he was getting isn't much of a Republican that's for sure.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

rtschl wrote:The democrats and RINOs will elect another Joe Strauss as Speaker. My Rep is a RINO and has a good rating on 2A issues but he will join the democrats on this. But we need a Speaker that is not a RINO.
As long as they give the right answers on the survey, they can kill gun rights bills behind the scenes all they want.
"hic sunt dracones"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Captain Matt wrote:
rtschl wrote:The democrats and RINOs will elect another Joe Strauss as Speaker. My Rep is a RINO and has a good rating on 2A issues but he will join the democrats on this. But we need a Speaker that is not a RINO.
As long as they give the right answers on the survey, they can kill gun rights bills behind the scenes all they want.
Wrong.

Chas.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

SewTexas wrote:Anyone who gets so many "I'm a Democrat and I like you" comments as he was getting isn't much of a Republican that's for sure.
I read this in the news today. The Austin Statesman ran a column on what people are saying about this. I told a friend that it was very telling that the comments from Republicans were almost universally looking at what they can pass now (bathroom bill and constitutional carry were the two most common mentioned). At the same time, the comments from the Democrats were almost universally moaning and saying this is a bad thing. The best (as in most polite or least hateful) was saying how it was the last of the "sane" Republicans leaving the legislature.
Steve Rothstein

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:
Wrong.

Chas.
I would assume the NRA ratings are based on actual votes or legislation sponsored, not just surveys.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

ScottDLS wrote: I would assume the NRA ratings are based on actual votes or legislation sponsored, not just surveys.
Maybe so but (1) they don't seem to be based on results and (2) gun rights bills do get killed behind the scenes and I can't recall anybody getting downgraded for it. Either way the lack of transparency in grading results in a lack of usefulness for myself and others. Which is fine if that's what they're shooting for.
"hic sunt dracones"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Captain Matt wrote:
ScottDLS wrote: I would assume the NRA ratings are based on actual votes or legislation sponsored, not just surveys.
Maybe so but (1) they don't seem to be based on results and (2) gun rights bills do get killed behind the scenes and I can't recall anybody getting downgraded for it. Either way the lack of transparency in grading results in a lack of usefulness for myself and others. Which is fine if that's what they're shooting for.
As ScottDLS noted, grades are based on votes, not questionnaires unless the person is a freshman with no voting record. You act as though we don't pass pro-gun bills and that complete garbage. Gun bills die in the House based upon the Speaker and in the Senate based upon the Lt. Governor. Yet you want to blast all Republicans you call RINOs and the NRA for its rating system. You clearly don't know how the Legislature works.

Chas.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Quoted ... from a Leftist's Liberal Blog ... (not my words )
https://socraticgadfly.blogspot.com/201 ... er-in.html
John Zerwas, who falls somewhat between the Straus wing and nutbar wing of the Texas GOP, though closer overall to the Straus wing, has announced his candidacy for the Speakership. Phil King, who is most definitely from the nutbar wing, is also in. Eric Johnson has indicated interest in being the token Democrat.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:
As ScottDLS noted, grades are based on votes, not questionnaires unless the person is a freshman with no voting record. You act as though we don't pass pro-gun bills and that complete garbage. Gun bills die in the House based upon the Speaker and in the Senate based upon the Lt. Governor. Yet you want to blast all Republicans you call RINOs and the NRA for its rating system. You clearly don't know how the Legislature works.

Chas.
Absolutely true. The power that is concentrated in the Speaker position in the House is difficult to explain. I remember back in school, we had a bonus essay question n this topic for one of our exams.

In my answer, I explained how the Speaker assigns all committees, and all committee chairs. Committee assignments are important to the legislators for a multitude of reasons, to include prestige, re-election positioning, and (of course) maintaining the primary focus of the right lobbyi$t$. You don't want to get kicked off of a 'good' committee if you are in the Texas Lege.

When a bill comes across that the speaker has strong feelings for, then it SHALL be handled by the chairs in the manner as the speaker directs. This can include rushing a bill through, pigeonholing it forever, etc.

If I recall correctly, the closing point to my essay question was to state that, "Failure to do exactly as the Speaker directs can land you on the Lady Bird Johnson Quiltmaking Committee". The prof gave me 'bonus' bonus points for stating it like that.

The parallel to the Speaker's power in the House is the LTG's power in the Senate. That power (coupled with the limits on power assigned to the Gov.) leads many to say that the LTG is more powerful in Texas than is the Governor.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I had to check the calendar & make sure it wasn't April 1...
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Vol Texan wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:

Chas.
Absolutely true. The power that is concentrated in the Speaker position in the House is difficult to explain. I remember back in school, we had a bonus essay question n this topic for one of our exams.

In my answer, I explained how the Speaker assigns all committees, and all committee chairs. Committee assignments are important to the legislators for a multitude of reasons, to include prestige, re-election positioning, and (of course) maintaining the primary focus of the right lobbyi$t$. You don't want to get kicked off of a 'good' committee if you are in the Texas Lege.

When a bill comes across that the speaker has strong feelings for, then it SHALL be handled by the chairs in the manner as the speaker directs. This can include rushing a bill through, pigeonholing it forever, etc.

If I recall correctly, the closing point to my essay question was to state that, "Failure to do exactly as the Speaker directs can land you on the Lady Bird Johnson Quiltmaking Committee". The prof gave me 'bonus' bonus points for stating it like that.
It sounds like the buck stops with the Speaker of the House when progun bills are killed and not allowed to come to a vote on the House floor, like HB560 and HB1911 this year.

It sounds like you deserved your A but it doesn't sound like Joe deserves his.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Post by mojo84 »

What is Straus' NRA 2nd Amendment rating? Were the bills that were killed in committee factored in to his rating?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

mojo84 wrote:What is Straus' NRA 2nd Amendment rating? Were the bills that were killed in committee factored in to his rating?
NRA PVF Grades You can decide for yourself if Joe Straus deserves the grade he was awarded.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

allisji

Post by allisji »

BBYC wrote:
mojo84 wrote:What is Straus' NRA 2nd Amendment rating? Were the bills that were killed in committee factored in to his rating?
NRA PVF Grades You can decide for yourself if Joe Straus deserves the grade he was awarded.
I assume that the TSRA-PAC grades reflect the NRA-PVF grades?

Joe Straus gets an A (A+ is the top score available). I would read the rationale behind the grade. I would assume that his voting record is consistently pro-2A, maybe he lost partial credit for seemingly letting good gun bills die without a house hearing? Or more likely he lost partial credit for not authoring or sponsoring very many good gun bills?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”