TSRA = Texas State Rifle Association. All Texas gun owners should join.

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

TSRA = Texas State Rifle Association. All Texas gun owners should join.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

This past Friday and Saturday, the TSRA held its AGM (Annual General Meeting) at the Texas Rangers Museum in Waco.

As far as I could tell there were 4 forum members in attendance: AF-Odin, Paladin, jmorris and myself.

Many of us are NRA members, and NRA handles our legislative gun needs at the federal level. But TSRA handles our legislative gun needs within our own state. There are 2 TSRA employees who are monitoring what goes on in Austin, and the NRA has assigned one of their staffers to work with our TSRA people. All 3 live in or near Austin, and are constantly on top of 2A-related legislation.

The TSRA sold their Austin building on 12/27/19, and have moved to a building in Bastrop. They moved out of expensive Austin, but are still close enough to Austin that they can visit the Capitol when needed. This was a solid example of good stewardship of limited financial resources.

Many of the presentations made over the 2 days were a wakeup call to Texas gun owners. The formerly 2A-friendly states of Colorado, New Mexico, and Virginia have gone over to the dark side of anti-gun legislation. If Texans don't think it can't happen here, look at how close Beto came to unseating Ted Cruz. Bloomberg has pledged $8,000,000 to turn Texas blue. Austin legislators are lefty already, and he is concentrating his money on Dallas and Houston, since major metros tend to be bluer than low population rural counties.

The TSRA staff are very dedicated people who constantly work to protect our 2A rights. Texas has 1,443,195 LTC's, but TSRA only has about 33,119 members, give or take. TSRA is the best kept secret in Texas when it comes to gun rights. TSRA is the chosen state organization with which the NRA cooperates. More TSRA members would give TSRA greater lobbying power, and assist with all the different styles of firearm matches held around the state.

I would beseech all Texas gun owners to become members of the TSRA. Their staff is doing all they can to keep and improve upon our 2A rights.
You wouldn't have a gun, but no ammo. Don't be a gun owner without being a TSRA member. If you are an NRA member, joining TSRA is a logical extension of your perception that you need advocacy within Texas also.

If you join TSRA you will get the TSRA magazine that will inform you of Texas specific items. Knowledge is power. For about the price of 2 boxes of ammo, you should get onboard.

https://tsra.com/

The link above will school you on what the dedicated TSRA people do, and will also allow you to sign up. Thank you for reading this.

https://www.myplates.com/Personalized/PLPC299

The above link is an example of a TSRA style license plate. You can take a random number/letter assortment chosen by the State of Texas, or personalize it.

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TSRA = Texas State Rifle Association. All Texas gun owners should join.

Post by Beiruty »

Anyone can sponsor a TSRA Lifemenber for a discount?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I'm unaware of any discounts at this time.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I need to clarify one thing. The NRA has a full time lobbyist living in Texas and working on our Second Amendment bills. She is not assigned to "help" TSRA. TSRA has one lobbyist, Mike Cox. who replaced Alice Tripp.

Chas.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:55 pm I need to clarify one thing. The NRA has a full time lobbyist living in Texas and working on our Second Amendment bills. She is not assigned to "help" TSRA. TSRA has one lobbyist, Mike Cox. who replaced Alice Tripp.

Chas.
And to put words into Charles' mouth ( :lol: ) join both- two lobbyists aren't enough to cover it all!

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Regarding the number of lobbyists working for our Texas and federal 2A rights:

1. Mike Cox
2, <Jeff Borskey? sp?> = Contract lobbyist with multiple clients, including TSRA.
3. Ms. Tara Mica - Of the NRA.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Good Thread!

Standard membership is only $35/y. Senior and distinguished memberships are only $25/y. You can gift a Junior membership for only $5/y.

Join
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I upped my membership to Defender this year and one of my buddy's is joining.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I see that Life Member - Senior is only $300.00, and they have an installment option. Very nice. :mrgreen:
On the minus side, their website does not seem to have a 'Search' button or menu item. I had to use Google to find out their definition of 'Senior' is 65 and up. :totap:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”