Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

Post by mojo84 »

1911 Raptor wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 am Didn’t someone post about Straus supporting this guy? Red flags should have went up then!
It's my understanding he is and has been a Straus ally.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

I was worried my representative Phil King was going to be speaker of the house, I guess Bonnen was a chameleon!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

1911 Raptor wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 am Didn’t someone post about Straus supporting this guy? Red flags should have went up then!
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=94426&p=1233118&h ... n#p1233118
USAF 1982-2005

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by canvasbck »

If support can be found, I'd be happy to present Mr. Bonnen with a primary challenge. He lives in the wrong district to turn his back on gun owners!
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

The Texas GOP held caucuses at from precinct state level to determine, among other things, the legislative priorities the Texas GOP would stand for. There were a lot of people and a lot of time invested in this.

Number one was Constitutional Carry.

The others are End Taxpayer-Funded Lobbying, Pro-Life, Property Tax, and Religious Freedom & Privacy.

With his committee appointments Bonnen just told the Texas GOP to pound sand on Constitutional Carry, and in all likelihood the rest as well.
USAF 1982-2005

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://texasscorecard.com/state/bonnen ... xas-house/

Interesting take on the House Committee appointments:
The Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety has now been given to Democrat State Rep. Poncho Nevarez (Eagle Pass). While pro-gun legislation had traditionally been sent to this committee, it may be a sign that bills such as constitutional carry could be sent to the Committee on State Affairs instead.
I think part of the logic in appointment of Rep. Nevarez is likely because of this:
“After thoughtful consideration, the following assignments have been made to reflect the seniority and personal preferences of members and the diverse demographics of the Texas House,” said Bonnen.

Bonnen said he was able to meet with over 140 of the 147 current lawmakers in the process and assured members that he went to great lengths in his consideration of the members’ respective districts when deciding which committees to assign them.
Rep. Nevarez has been on the Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety for quite a while (he was vice-chair in both the 84th and 85th Legislatures).

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 am https://texasscorecard.com/state/bonnen ... xas-house/

Interesting take on the House Committee appointments:
The Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety has now been given to Democrat State Rep. Poncho Nevarez (Eagle Pass). While pro-gun legislation had traditionally been sent to this committee, it may be a sign that bills such as constitutional carry could be sent to the Committee on State Affairs instead.
Let's hope so.... I suppose we'll find out shortly.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

While pro-gun legislation had traditionally been sent to this committee, it may be a sign that bills such as constitutional carry could be sent to the Committee on State Affairs instead.
If this is accurate, maybe this thread and some of our ( mine included) reactions were knee-jerk and premature.

However, based up on some information I've seen, links previously provided, I still do not hold out much hope Bonnen is going to prove to be a staunch fiscal conservative or will aggressively pursue pro-gun legislation. At this point, I hope we do not lose any ground.

Hope I am wrong.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

proudpirate
Banned

Post by proudpirate »

"So this is how liberty dies . . . with thunderous applause." - Senator Amidala (Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of Sith)

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

mojo84 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am
While pro-gun legislation had traditionally been sent to this committee, it may be a sign that bills such as constitutional carry could be sent to the Committee on State Affairs instead.
If this is accurate, maybe this thread and some of our ( mine included) reactions were knee-jerk and premature.

However, based up on some information I've seen, links previously provided, I still do not hold out much hope Bonnen is going to prove to be a staunch fiscal conservative or will aggressively pursue pro-gun legislation. At this point, I hope we do not lose any ground.

Hope I am wrong.
This is why the email I wrote last night simply signaled my strong concern and what I felt as a slap in the face to gun owners in Texas. I kept the soapbox small for the time being. If gun rights bills are in fact assigned to other committees, I’ll gladly write again to express my updated feelings.

Fingers crossed, but still breathing.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

While I was disappointed, as many were, to learn of the chair appointment to the Homeland Security and Public Safety committee, there have been no bills heard by any committees. Many good bills were killed quietly under Straus, but there WERE some advances as well. I am willing to be patient and see how this session goes.
I've told others that if 2nd Amendment liberty is expanded, then I will be happy.
If 2nd Amendment liberty is reduced, I will be contacting my state rep to voice my displeasure and encourage them to select a different speaker next session.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm having a hard time understanding why any committee chairs are members of the minority party. Is this the way that things are traditionally done in the Texas house? I believe at the federal level, committee chairs are all members of the majority party (currently democrats for the House).

Can someone enlighten me on whether we typically have Democratic committee chairs appointed in a Republican majority state House, and Republican committee chairs appointed in a Democratic majority state House?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Since I try be more than a one issue voter, there are other reasons besides gun rights that I am very disappointed Poncho is the chairman of the Homeland Security committee.

I can also respect opinions that differ from mine.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Chas, are there rules in place that a bill must go to committee A vs B?
If a bill historically goes to Homeland security for consideration, is it required, or just normal?

Could the type of bill that in the past has always gone to homeland security, in this session be put to some other committee?

If so, who controls what bill goes to what committee?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”