Gabe White Technical Skills Tests

Personal practice/training stories, tips and questions. This is not a place for advertising courses or classes.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Gabe White Technical Skills Tests

Post by Paladin »

Gabe White developed a fairly challenging set of Technical Skills Tests. These are designed to test your skills in self-defense to a high level:
-The Bill Drill (six shots to the body)
-Failure to Stop (two shots to the body and one shot to the head)
-Immediate Incapacitation (two shots to the head)
-The Split Bill Drill (four shots to the body and two shots to the head)
All at 7 yards. In my case I used a USPSA target with a 3x5 card stapled to the head. Gabe awards Dark, Light, or Turbo pins, depending on how you score.

As I will be training with Gabe in March, and will have the chance to try to earn of of his pins I wanted to get a baseline of my skills per his tests.

I found my splits on the body were around .22, with head splits running around .7. It was enough to earn Dark Pin. What seems to be holding me back from the Light Pin is my draw speed. I believe the assumption is you are running appendix, but I was running strong side with pullover concealment. I'm fairly certain that running appendix would give me the speed I need for a 1.3sec draw, but I'd really rather not carry a loaded gun that way. Will work on my strong side draw instead. It gives me something to practice up on for next month.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gabe White Technical Skills Tests

Post by oljames3 »

Paladin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:27 pm Gabe White developed a fairly challenging set of Technical Skills Tests. These are designed to test your skills in self-defense to a high level:
-The Bill Drill (six shots to the body)
-Failure to Stop (two shots to the body and one shot to the head)
-Immediate Incapacitation (two shots to the head)
-The Split Bill Drill (four shots to the body and two shots to the head)
All at 7 yards. In my case I used a USPSA target with a 3x5 card stapled to the head. Gabe awards Dark, Light, or Turbo pins, depending on how you score.

As I will be training with Gabe in March, and will have the chance to try to earn of of his pins I wanted to get a baseline of my skills per his tests.

I found my splits on the body were around .22, with head splits running around .7. It was enough to earn Dark Pin. What seems to be holding me back from the Light Pin is my draw speed. I believe the assumption is you are running appendix, but I was running strong side with pullover concealment. I'm fairly certain that running appendix would give me the speed I need for a 1.3sec draw, but I'd really rather not carry a loaded gun that way. Will work on my strong side draw instead. It gives me something to practice up on for next month.
1.3 is doable from strong side. My on-demand time to first A-Zone hit at 7 yards is sub 1.5 seconds; openly from a Safariland 7TS ALS active retention holster or concealed from a Vedder LightDraw. My primary cover garment is a Magellan Outdoors Men's Aransas Pass shirt, one size larger than I usually wear. I leave the bottom button undone. John Correia timed me at 1.26 first shot, 6 rounds in 8.6x11 at 5 yards in three seconds; openly. Tom Givens timed me at 5 hits in a 3x5 at 5 yards in less than 5 seconds; concealed. I'm 70 years old, 5 by-pass grafts, 2 stints. You can do this. White is on my list for next year.
https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-outd ... er-x-large
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gabe White Technical Skills Tests

Post by Paladin »

Yeah, I'm reading Gabe's instructions more carefully and he indicates the times he provides are for open carry holsters with no retention.

Silly me, I thought they were "Technical Skills" for self-defense, not USPSA! :smilelol5:

I agree, 1.3 sec or better from open carry is very doable. I'll follow instructions next time. :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Training & Practice”