Woud be nice to be able to do drills

Personal practice/training stories, tips and questions. This is not a place for advertising courses or classes.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Woud be nice to be able to do drills

Post by jmorris »

All these drills that have been posted are great, but you all must have some exceptional ranges in your area if you can actually do them. Of the six ranges I've been to in the NE-SE San Antonio area it's only possible at one. Lone Star has tactical bays to rent. Another one says don't do this stuff but I'm frequently the only one there (nice to be retired and go early on a weekday), the handgun range is remote from the office, and there are no RSOs so I can get away with it. All the others, no draw, no rapid, no this, no that. One range I went to had a 2'x3' box painted on the concrete that you had to stay within and weapon had to remain pointed downrange at ALL times. I was holding it near appendix and coming up to fire and got chewed out.

Oh, and one private range that I can do anything at but can't always get.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Woud be nice to be able to do drills

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jmorris wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:25 pm All these drills that have been posted are great, but you all must have some exceptional ranges in your area if you can actually do them. Of the six ranges I've been to in the NE-SE San Antonio area it's only possible at one. Lone Star has tactical bays to rent. Another one says don't do this stuff but I'm frequently the only one there (nice to be retired and go early on a weekday), the handgun range is remote from the office, and there are no RSOs so I can get away with it. All the others, no draw, no rapid, no this, no that. One range I went to had a 2'x3' box painted on the concrete that you had to stay within and weapon had to remain pointed downrange at ALL times. I was holding it near appendix and coming up to fire and got chewed out.

My experience as well. Out of four different ranges I go to in the DFW area, not one will allow anything close to these drills. One will allow double taps. I get in trouble there all the time because I "string a few double taps together"... hahaha. But that is not even close to doing actual self defense practice. One range, Garland Public, they are real sticklers about the 2 seconds between shots rule. I have been out there by myself before and had them come outside and get on me after counting my shots from inside the range house. I always just say oops, sorry and carry on. But it sure sucks the fun out of shooting.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The lowest cost option is dryfire... next lowest cost is airsoft. I set up target boxes to mount targets to and catch the airsoft bbs. Easy to do those at home.

Like using private land, but that's always a drive for me. Finally broke down and got a gun club membership.. but dryfire and airsoft still save a lot of money on ammo.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

jmorris wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:25 pm All these drills that have been posted are great, but you all must have some exceptional ranges in your area if you can actually do them. Of the six ranges I've been to in the NE-SE San Antonio area it's only possible at one. Lone Star has tactical bays to rent. Another one says don't do this stuff but I'm frequently the only one there (nice to be retired and go early on a weekday), the handgun range is remote from the office, and there are no RSOs so I can get away with it. All the others, no draw, no rapid, no this, no that. One range I went to had a 2'x3' box painted on the concrete that you had to stay within and weapon had to remain pointed downrange at ALL times. I was holding it near appendix and coming up to fire and got chewed out.

Come on down to Houston and visit the Brazos River Sportsman's Club. Leigh John (the range owner) has several bays around the property to allow for private shooting areas. One of them has a 270-degree radius of berms around it.

No, I don't have any stake in the place, but I do a lot of qualifications there for LTC courses. I find the whole crew there (Leigh John, Paul, and others whose names escape me right now) to be great folks who run a great range way out on the west side of town.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I love lonestar handgun. If I’m going to pay to go to a gun range, I’d rather just pay for a whole bay and be by myself to run my drills.

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Yeah, I do several dry fire drills, it would just be nice if there where more ranges where I could do pew, pew, pew!
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Vol Texan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 pm ....

Come on down to Houston and visit the Brazos River Sportsman's Club. Leigh John (the range owner) has several bays around the property to allow for private shooting areas. One of them has a 270-degree radius of berms around it.

No, I don't have any stake in the place, but I do a lot of qualifications there for LTC courses. I find the whole crew there (Leigh John, Paul, and others whose names escape me right now) to be great folks who run a great range way out on the west side of town.
Two and half hour drive is a little much for a couple hours shooting but thanks for the tip.

Hour and half to Best of the West was my limit.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Training & Practice”